Any love for Motul oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Motul 8100-Clean Gen 2 5w-40 after dumping Redline Performance (Ester) 5w-30 Euro that I was priced out of by inflation. So far so good, did a UOA and everything was good, it was the first try and still had some Redline mixed in. The Redline stayed a tad cleaner longer then the Motul. I dump at 3,250-3,500. I am a short tripper, tuned, and it is a Hyundai that is hard on oil.

Last edited:
Nothing special.

It's just a foreign (non-US) brand fetishized here in the USA because marketing and poor availability must mean it's better.

See also: Liqui Moly.
Thought Motul was started here in the US and then went to France and stayed?

Founded in 1853 in New York, the Swan & Finch company started its activity in the sector of high quality lubricants. As of 1920, it turned to the international markets by exporting some of its portfolio brands like Aerul, Textul, Motul.

In 1932, Ernst Zaug negotiated the distribution in France of products of the Motul brand with Swan & Finch via his company Supra Penn.[1] In 1953, the Swan & Finch centenary was celebrated with the worldwide launch of Motul Century, which became the first multigrade oil on the European market. However, Swan & Finch suspended its activities in 1957. Supra Penn bought back all title deeds and patents pertaining to the Motul brand, which was renamed for the company's chief product, becoming Motul S.A..

If you want to run Motul oils, check out FCP Euro. If you commit to it for more than 1-2, the oil changes will be far less using their Lifetime Replacement system even including return shipping (use pirateship.com for discounted shipping costs) than buying M1 etc. that many will recommend.

If you want to run Motul oils, check out FCP Euro. If you commit to it for more than 1-2, the oil changes will be far less using their Lifetime Replacement system even including return shipping (use pirateship.com for discounted shipping costs) than buying M1 etc. that many will recommend.
If I was going to do all that from FCP Euro I would use something from Driven.

Last edited:
My small town Lordco Auto Parts store has been stocking Motul for years. Enjoy the French eye candy.

ECB0BC65-FAFF-471C-B7E9-500AB697DC5B.jpeg
85CAB0F9-FC38-49D1-A93D-AB50496A5FF7.jpeg

Thought Motul was started here in the US and then went to France and stayed?

Founded in 1853 in New York, the Swan & Finch company started its activity in the sector of high quality lubricants. As of 1920, it turned to the international markets by exporting some of its portfolio brands like Aerul, Textul, Motul.

In 1932, Ernst Zaug negotiated the distribution in France of products of the Motul brand with Swan & Finch via his company Supra Penn.[1] In 1953, the Swan & Finch centenary was celebrated with the worldwide launch of Motul Century, which became the first multigrade oil on the European market. However, Swan & Finch suspended its activities in 1957. Supra Penn bought back all title deeds and patents pertaining to the Motul brand, which was renamed for the company's chief product, becoming Motul S.A..
Yeah, it appears to have been founded in NY and then their European distributor bought out all the IP and rights to the brand after it was shuttered in 1957 and re-launched it.

I was using Motul 8100 xcess 5w40 (FULL SAPS) in my Toyota's (Group 3 stuff) for 5-6 years, so far so good. Here in Europe was very cheap. Quiet oil regarding some 5w30 C3 oils (Total, Halvoline). That was the reason for using it.

The 300V has some exceptional UOA, and it is and always was legit race oil with very low oxidation.
As for 8100 series, there is nothing special, but their HTHS value is really good. I use it, but I got it for free. Bang for a buck (unless 300V) and you REALLY need it) is not there. Plenty of good oils are available regularly in Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back