Any HTC Thunderbolt users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use a Droid 1 running Gingerbread. I rarely make phone calls, maybe one or two a day. I predominantly use it for reading email/Gmail, checking bus arrival times, and maybe reading a few news stories. On weekends or evenings I might send 5-10 text messages. I also use it as a music player on the bus a few times a week. It sits idle in my pocket most of the time.

I do NOT run tons of widgets and apps that need data like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Gtalk, etc. My apartment and office have good wifi coverage that I try to default to when possible. I live and work in downtown Chicago so coverage is quite good and is definitely LTE.

When looking at my usage on my Droid 1, I typically see this:

32% display
26% phone idle
20% cell standby
11% Maps
6% wifi
5% AndroidOS

Does this sort of usage make the Thunderbolt a bad idea? I refuse to buy the extended battery. All I need is for it to last until dinnertime when I get home, frankly. I know the Droid Charge is coming but I prefer the sturdy build quality and glass display of the Thunderbolt, especially after having an all-metal & glass Droid 1 (and iPhone 3G before that).

TL;DR: I am not a heavy data user, I just read email sometimes and make a few phone calls/texts.

Last edited:
I don't have a Thunderbolt but I have a Samsung Captivate android phone. It didn't last past 5pm even with it sitting in my toolbox at work on stock firmware. I got into xda forums and found alot of cool roms that some very smart people put together. 3 months later I have never been happier with my phone. I get 18 hrs with heavy use and 36 hours with light use out of the battery.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=940

Check these guys out and see what they got cooking for your phone.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I don't have a Thunderbolt but I have a Samsung Captivate android phone. It didn't last past 5pm even with it sitting in my toolbox at work on stock firmware. I got into xda forums and found alot of cool roms that some very smart people put together. 3 months later I have never been happier with my phone. I get 18 hrs with heavy use and 36 hours with light use out of the battery.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=940

Check these guys out and see what they got cooking for your phone.

Echo this.

Forgot to charge my phone last night and with 30 hours of use it's at 44%. This is with 1.5 hours of gps and music use, and wifi on the whole time. But I didn't make any calls and the screen was turned on very much. With heavy use I can get from 9 AM to way past midnight and still have 30% left before charging.

And sometimes, the batteries take a few charge cycles to reach it's full capacity and recalibrating it sometimes helps too.

Last edited:
Umm, obviously I have a custom ROM if my phone is running Gingerbread. And storing a phone in a toolbox is a surefire way to drain the battery since it's basically a Faraday cage.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Umm, obviously I have a custom ROM if my phone is running Gingerbread. And storing a phone in a toolbox is a surefire way to drain the battery since it's basically a Faraday cage.

No not in a drawer, in the top open part silly goose! Well I haven't messed with GB since CM7 still has alot of bugs for my phone. I am happy with 2.2.1 for now.

CM7 sucked. I run an AOSP stock build by the guy who does Bugless Beast. CM7 is way too custom and weird, and it was buggy as [censored].

I'm hoping that Thunderbolt users will chime in with their experiences based on their data usage patterns.

Just got a Thunderbolt today. It's my first smartphone so I have a learning curve.. After I play with it a bit I will chime in. Sure wish 4G was here but 3G will work for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back