Any Honda PC800 "Pacific Coast" riders here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at selling the Sportster and getting something a bit more friendly for two up with the Mrs.

I like the built-in storage on the Honda Pacific Coast ...

Want some impressions of riding and owning it. Maintenance issues, etc.

It looks like a very sensible an practical mode of transportation for two people.

Parts are very scarce. The last year of production was 1998. I think Grampi here on BITOG owned one but he has since stopped riding.

For 2 up riding I'd recommend a Honda ST1300 instead. While the PC is a fine machine, I've had both and the 1300 is far superior in every aspect.

The parts are getting nearly impossible to find for the PC as another poster said.

Well, for serious 2-up riding we rent a Road King. Have logged 11 hours in the saddle on a well appointed RK and the ergo's can't be beat (for us). I just don't want to own one. Big, heavy cumbersome to push around when not running.

Want a grocery getter and parts runner that will allow me to take the Mrs to a local restaurant when we are swamped by tourist traffic ...

The Sportster works. It's just a bit cramped, and the soft bags do not hold enough.

Parts are an eBay thing. But I have decent indy shops within 45 minutes that will work on what the local dealer (Honda) won't ... My primary dirt bike is a 1976 Honda XL350 (with mods).

I don't mind old. My pick-up is 1993 and my main driver is an 1988 Bronco. I just want good
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Well, for serious 2-up riding we rent a Road King. Have logged 11 hours in the saddle on a well appointed RK and the ergo's can't be beat (for us). I just don't want to own one. Big, heavy cumbersome to push around when not running.

Want a grocery getter and parts runner that will allow me to take the Mrs to a local restaurant when we are swamped by tourist traffic ...

The Sportster works. It's just a bit cramped, and the soft bags do not hold enough.

Parts are an eBay thing. But I have decent indy shops within 45 minutes that will work on what the local dealer (Honda) won't ... My primary dirt bike is a 1976 Honda XL350 (with mods).

I don't mind old. My pick-up is 1993 and my main driver is an 1988 Bronco. I just want good
smile.gif

Well in that case the PC is great.
Have you considered the NT700V?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
My Pacific Coast is in the picture, first on the left ...

Excellent. Right color too
smile.gif

How has your experience been? Any mods you recommend?

If I can't find super clean Pacific Coast, I may have to settle for an ST1100 ... Only shop in town is Honda.

Harley is not a problem as it's about as tough to work on as a John Deere. But more complex pikes sometimes need a shop ...

Last edited:
I'm looking at selling the Sportster and getting something a bit more friendly for two up with the Mrs.

My wife has one, 1998 with 112,000 miles.

Storage is huge...hers is doubly huge, because it has a Givi top box.

If you cannot DIY service, forget it. Everything but an oil change requires disassembly, which a shop is more or less guaranteed to break panels while doing it. Search for "Honda PC800 service" on YouTube to get an idea what it entails.

The mechanicals are bulletproof, even by Honda standards. (Which is saying something.) Hydraulic lifters, self-adjusting cam chains, shaft drive...as I recall, it uses a retuned Shadow 800 V-twin (liquid cooled, 3 valves per cylinder), and the trans/final drive from the old 1000cc Wing. Basically, put gas in it and ride.

It's a parts bin bike, which results in the oddity of using twin discs with 2-piston Nissin calipers in front...and a mechanical drum in back.
confused.gif
Having said that, my wife reports the brakes are excellent, pulling it down from 100MPH with zero drama. I was told the front brakes were taken intact from the 80's Hurricane sportbike, but I have no idea if that's true. (They would look right at home on an 80's sportbike, though.)

It might be a bit underpowered for 2-up riding...it is a 600lb bike with 57HP.

Her only complaints are the rear mechanical brake, no fuel injection, and the odd tire size and resulting very limited selection.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

My wife has one, 1998 with 112,000 miles.

Storage is huge...hers is doubly huge, because it has a Givi top box.

If you cannot DIY service, forget it. Everything but an oil change requires disassembly, which a shop is more or less guaranteed to break panels while doing it. Search for "Honda PC800 service" on YouTube to get an idea what it entails.

The mechanicals are bulletproof, even by Honda standards. (Which is saying something.) Hydraulic lifters, self-adjusting cam chains, shaft drive...as I recall, it uses a retuned Shadow 800 V-twin (liquid cooled, 3 valves per cylinder), and the trans/final drive from the old 1000cc Wing. Basically, put gas in it and ride.

It's a parts bin bike, which results in the oddity of using twin discs with 2-piston Nissin calipers in front...and a mechanical drum in back.
confused.gif
Having said that, my wife reports the brakes are excellent, pulling it down from 100MPH with zero drama. I was told the front brakes were taken intact from the 80's Hurricane sportbike, but I have no idea if that's true. (They would look right at home on an 80's sportbike, though.)

It might be a bit under powered for 2-up riding...it is a 600lb bike with 57HP.

Her only complaints are the rear mechanical brake, no fuel injection, and the odd tire size and resulting very limited selection.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, she's right. They do carry a bunch and the '97 I'm looking at has a Givi trunk
smile.gif

Moaning Metzlers are good enough for me.

I'm cool with the odd wait for a good used part to show up on the Bay. It's a hobby, not a business ... I have a bicycle or two and my XL350 dirt bike to back me up if I need to lay up the PC for a while.

Just checked, and the local Honda shop will still service it. They are pretty anal and careful, so I'm not too worried ... I can do a lot of the nominal stuff.

Yeah, the not EFI is an issue, but I can get by with carbs for a while. And there is a guy on the PC800 forums who has done a custom EFI hack on his own, so you never know ...
laugh.gif

Her big issue with Metzler was that the one she had on the back last year, after a long road trip, started shedding pieces.

Though, she did report that it will still top 110MPH in 95-degree heat without a problem.

Yeah, tires are a conundrum ... Shinko and Kenda make great tires. Kenda's are known for general toughness (lots of desert race bikes, rocks) and I've never had an issue with one.

But, I really like my Metzlers on the Sportster. I do not do "long rides" on my own bikes. More local go fetch stuff. Long rides are done on rentals, and who cares about their tires, their problems ...

Also don't do high speeds any more. Haven't seen the ton in long time. 70 once in while. We are 2-lane F&M roads locally. But winding and hilly
smile.gif

Don't think I'd have issues with chunking at the moderate speeds I ride now days
smile.gif

Here's a pic of the one I'm negotiating on:

Last edited:
Well I are one now. Went to Alameda yesterday and bought a nice '97 in decent shape. Rode it home.

Needs highway pegs bad. Can't be a "one position" rider. But other than that, we're good.

Pics to follow when I get a chance ...

Last edited:
Well I are one now. Went to Alameda yesterday and bought a nice '97 in decent shape. Rode it home.

Needs highway pegs bad. Can't be a "one position" rider. But other than that, we're good.

Congratulations! Anxiously awaiting first impressions and pics.

My wife's has highway pegs...but I have no idea where they came from.

My dad has an early one, 1989 I think. They’re prone to the half-moon cam plugs/seals in the heads leaking oil, he quit riding it when the leaking became unmanageable. Last I looked at it one of the carbs had a stuck/sunk float, but that’s probably because it’s been sitting a couple years now. You really have to take the whole bike apart to do any work to the engine, big turn-off for me.

I think it has almost 100k miles, only other problem it had was the reg/rec shorted out and blew the main fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back