Any guesses as to weight weight and brand will be factory fill for the new Z06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 7.0L 500hp monster is on its way and GM fills its Vette's w/ M1 5W-30. I'm wondering if that is up to the task of this motor? My friends Durango 5.7L Hemi recommends 5W-20 which, excuse me, but I can't see as being a good oil for this torque strong engine on a hot summer day pulling a boat w/ 4 people in it. What weight do you think the Z06 will recommend and if it IS 5W-30 will they stick w/ M1? The M1 5W-30 sold here is a good oil but not the first choice for me to put in a car like the Z06, but what do I know? And could they go even lighter on this car and if they do who could they use?

With an 8 quart drysump overengineered oiling system, I bet that any oil would do well in the Z06 but it'll most likely be Mobil1 in a 30wt.

The hemi has ~7 quarts of oil. If the temp of the oil is controlled, then using a 20wt isn't an issue!

If they follow the GM engineers logic then perhaps dino 5w30 will be OK since it has an oil cooler.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
If they follow the GM engineers logic then perhaps dino 5w30 will be OK since it has an oil cooler.

Whatever weight they choose I don't think it will be dino oil as every regular 'ole vette comes filled w/ M1 5W-30. I don't think they would put a lesser oil in their flagship performance car.

I agree, M1 for sure.

M1 seems to be the brand of choice for many high-performance cars and other such exotics.

As for the weight...well, I have no idea. I'll leave that one to the smart guys on this site.

quote:

Originally posted by robbobster:
I agree, M1 for sure.

M1 seems to be the brand of choice for many high-performance cars and other such exotics.

As for the weight...well, I have no idea. I'll leave that one to the smart guys on this site.

I'm going to guess the 0W-40 they have. It's not as readily available but you CAN get it and I think that weight would suit the car, probably. I think, and if I'm mistaken let me know, that the Viper comes w/ 0W-40.

I've been wondering that myself. I'm sure whatever they chose, the testing will be done to ensure that it is fine. The new GF-4 Mobil 1 5w-30 is now thicker @ 11.3 cSt. Dodge now uses the Mobil 1 0w-40 in their SRT Ram/Magnum.

quote:

Originally posted by V8Blitz:
and if it IS 5W-30 will they stick w/ M1? The M1 5W-30 sold here is a good oil but not the first choice for me to put in a car like the Z06, but what do I know?

If you polled 100 purchasers of the car, how many would even be able to identify other syn oil besides Mobil-1?

Well known, widely available, reasonable track record.

Wouldnt choosing Mobil-1 0w-40 make the new Corvette even MORE exotic? It could be GM's way of throwing a little european twist into the picture
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Silverado:
Wouldnt choosing Mobil-1 0w-40 make the new Corvette even MORE exotic? It could be GM's way of throwing a little european twist into the picture
smile.gif

LOL!

The most identifiable American auto icon needs no Euro-twist; its American-ness is part of the marketing strategy.

quote:

Originally posted by V8Blitz:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

Whatever weight they choose I don't think it will be dino oil as every regular 'ole vette comes filled w/ M1 5W-30. I don't think they would put a lesser oil in their flagship performance car.

I agree, but according to what the GM engineer posted the only reason for GM using synthetic oil was for heat purposes, and so they wouldn't have to use an oil cooler.

-T

M1 5W-30 is in the Z06
M1 0W-40 is in the 6.1 Hemi because of ties to Mercedes whch also uses M1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back