Any Good Sounding Diesel Engines?

The only diesel engine sound I've encountered that I liked came out of a 2-cycle Detroit Diesel.

Heard a Kubota 3 cylinder diesel a few months ago at the local plant nursery, and it was an ugly sound.

Hundreds of mufferless, lifted diesel pickups drive through my neighborhood every day, and every single one of them sounds like schittt.:poop:

I've always thought the older IDI diesels from Mercedes sounded good. I could hear them before I could see them.

These days, I think the quieter the diesel the better. In that regard, the BMW diesels sound very nice. Must be due to the aluminum block and the fact that they like to rev.

Close 2nd is the VW TDIs, but that's only because I've owned several and I'm biased.

Forget Audi, forget your tractor motors, John Deere, it’s all crap. The French make the best diesels.

I have hope that now that Peugot and FCA merged we might start to see some nice quirky new French designed cars in the US. A Dodge branded Peugot 2008 would be sweet. I'd prefer if they just brought Peugot back to the US but they've said that's not happening right now unfortunately.

Peugeot_2008_B_IMG_4196.jpg

Back