Any good reason I ought NOT to use Castrol Edge...

...full-synthetic engine oil* in 0-40 or 5-40 viscosities in either a 2023 Ford Explorer 3L-twin-turbo'd V6 or '24 Mustang 5.0L Coyote before the Ford-supplied every-5000-miles service agreement takes over?

I'm a tiny bit concerned to get the fine machining residue out of the engine and engineoil.

* I already have several 5-quart jugs of both.

...full-synthetic engine oil* in 0-40 or 5-40 viscosities in either a 2023 Ford Explorer 3L-twin-turbo'd V6 or '24 Mustang 5.0L Coyote before the Ford-supplied every-5000-miles service agreement takes over?

I'm a tiny bit concerned to get the fine machining residue out of the engine and engineoil.

Castrol 0W40 is top of the line oil. I used it on track and did 5k OCI.
5W40 is step down from 0W40. Still good oil.

I use it in my GTI as it carries the spec. I also like Mobil 1 0w40.

I ran Mobil 1 0w40 in my 5.0 F150 and 3.7 V6 Edge. I would have had no problem using Castrol in those either. I've almost always bought a Xw40 euro in most cars. The only thing that makes me hop between Castrol and Mobil is who has the better sale at the time. You can't miss.

Do you know what that major repair was?
Yes. I posted the entire story here last fall. $9K repair job. Ford paid for almost all of it. Cam phasers mostly and lots of other internal bits and pieces. Two cracked exhaust manifolds, defective cats. To compensate him for the almost one month in the shop Ford gave hima 'good will' extended warranty and two year free mainenance package. The Explorer was just in the shop today for an oil change and tire rotation. Runs great, no problems.

I wouldn't buy one with this engine but to their credit, Ford stood behind their reputation and did the right thing by at least this owner.

Does the manual say it is an option to run those?

Yes. I posted the entire story here last fall. $9K repair job. Ford paid for almost all of it. Cam phasers mostly and lots of other internal bits and pieces. Two cracked exhaust manifolds, defective cats. To compensate him for the almost one month in the shop Ford gave hima 'good will' extended warranty and two year free mainenance package. The Explorer was just in the shop today for an oil change and tire rotation. Runs great, no problems.

I wouldn't buy one with this engine but to their credit, Ford stood behind their reputation and did the right thing by at least this owner.

I just looked up that thread and read through it. I don't know how I missed that one. Thanks for recapping for the kid in the room who wasn't paying attention back then. ;)

Last edited:
I use it in my GTI as it carries the spec. I also like Mobil 1 0w40.

I ran Mobil 1 0w40 in my 5.0 F150 and 3.7 V6 Edge. I would have had no problem using Castrol in those either. I've almost always bought a Xw40 euro in most cars. The only thing that makes me hop between Castrol and Mobil is who has the better sale at the time. You can't miss.
Is the Castrol Edge 0w40 SP? The Mobil Euro 0w40 is SP.

My son has a 2020 Explorer Platinum with that exact engine. He has faithfully done 5K OCI with Valvoline 5W-30 at the local Valvoline OC shop since new. Has a road job, mostly highway driving. 90K miles just today. His engine has only had to come out once at 70K for major repair.
Wow this is not a good thing to hear lol im sorry but thanks for sharing. What was the major repair?

Wow this is not a good thing to hear lol im sorry but thanks for sharing. What was the major repair?

Have a bit from recent clearance events as well, just threw 10 quarts in the family vehicles tonight for late spring and summer.

Something I missed from that photo of the engine w/o the front timing cover. It has the rubber band driven oil pump. That would always be on my mind if it were my car. I don't think the 3.5 in my Edge has that feature.

How far engineering has evolved from gear driven camshaft, pushrod engines. Maybe not for the better.

Wow seems like he did everything right kept the OCI reasonable used quality oil , Ford needs to get this together

Something I missed from that photo of the engine w/o the front timing cover. It has the rubber band driven oil pump. That would always be on my mind if it were my car. I don't think the 3.5 in my Edge has that feature.

How far engineering has evolved from gear driven camshaft, pushrod engines. Maybe not for the better.
My 429 385 motor in my LTD quit one day. Shut right off. A push to nearby driveway investigation showed the distributor rotor was not turning. Hmm.

Pulled the dist and saw the roll pin was sheared. Some rubber junk got into the pump and jammed it. Later saw it was dried up valve seals chunking apart. Nice FAILSAFE on the old iron.

No oil pressure = no spark. Easy as that, LOL.

Back