Any good free anti virus programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used AVG without issues for many years. Alot of free AV programs work very well. I go to cnet or download.com to download them.

Does anyone know if Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) require Windows 7?
I currently have Windows XP and Firefox 9.01 browser. My subscription to McAfee ends in another month.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

It does not. I'm running it on my XP netbook.

I currently have Windows XP and Firefox 9.01 browser. My subscription to McAfee ends in another month.

It will work on XP just fine.

Thanks

Question #2

PC World rates Ad-Aware as the best free anti-virus, yet no one inside this thread commented on it.

Anyone here using it?
Have anything positive/negative to say about it?

Thanks

Question #2

PC World rates Ad-Aware as the best free anti-virus, yet no one inside this thread commented on it.

Anyone here using it?
Have anything positive/negative to say about it?

Ad-aware was always known for,more of a spyware removal program,which over the years hasn't kept up with current malware to well. Instead,You'd be better off with Malwarebytes or Hitmanpro,both have free versions.

A good buddy turned me onto Comodo, works great, no virus attacks or problems to report, and it's free. Super Anti-Spyware is good for taking care spyware removal, it's free too.

I have both Super Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes loaded - along with Spybot.

Here's some of the gripes about Comodo - over at cnetdotcom

Cons

The Defense+ part of the program blocks windows update and many other common programs from doing normal updating activity. It must not have access to whitelists, as basically everything sets it off. The program also does not learn from your inputs. I set it to allow a number of programs, but everytime a new scan happens, it resets the log of allowed programs so you have to start over. I have not had a worse experience with a security suite.

Virus scans are extremely slow, and atrociously resource intensive. I've had scans take nearly 10 hours. Whenever a scan is happening, my computer is basically locked down.

I can't in good conscious recommend this to anyone.

Summary

1. Super aggressive, has persistent false positives on even basic Windows functionality.
2. Doesn't learn. Every time you do a scan it forgets what you taught it.
3. Extremely slow resource intensive scanning.

Any of this true? - poster demarpaint

I have both Super Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes loaded - along with Spybot.

Here's some of the gripes about Comodo - over at cnetdotcom

Cons

The Defense+ part of the program blocks windows update and many other common programs from doing normal updating activity. It must not have access to whitelists, as basically everything sets it off. The program also does not learn from your inputs. I set it to allow a number of programs, but everytime a new scan happens, it resets the log of allowed programs so you have to start over. I have not had a worse experience with a security suite.

Virus scans are extremely slow, and atrociously resource intensive. I've had scans take nearly 10 hours. Whenever a scan is happening, my computer is basically locked down.

I can't in good conscious recommend this to anyone.

Summary

1. Super aggressive, has persistent false positives on even basic Windows functionality.
2. Doesn't learn. Every time you do a scan it forgets what you taught it.
3. Extremely slow resource intensive scanning.

Any of this true? - poster demarpaint

I'm very happy with the program. I have it installed on a Win 7 laptop with 8 GB Ram, and an old P3 with 768 mb Ram running Win XP, and no complaints. I had a good buddy set it up and it works very well. I am also using AVG free edition on a third machine, a P4, running Win XP with 1 GB Ram, no problems. Windows update works fine on all machines.
21.gif
McAfee sucked I took it out of all three machines. YMMV

On wife's Win 7 home premium laptop (she has very safe browsing habits):

MS SE, Malware Bytes, CCleaner.
(has win firewall and router firewall, too, of course)

Is that enough? She used to have SAS also on her previous XP laptop...IDK if her new laptop really has a need for it...

Me too MSE and the free version of Malwarebytes.

Just remember that Microsoft advises that you NEVER have MORE THAN ONE security suite on your system at any one time. Doing so can cause conflicts that degrade system performance and can even REDUCE the effectiveness of either security suite.

It is OK to have manually run specific scanner programs like Malwarebytes free scanner. But having TWO real time scanner tools running is asking for serious trouble even the BSOD or an infection that wouldn't have happened with just one security suite because of conflicts!

Last edited:
Although not free (outside of a 30-day trial), I see PCWorld.com has named G-Data Internet Security 2012 as it's top 2012 Internet Security Suite. One year subscription is $35.00

Anyone with Windows (XP/Vista/7) using G-Data and care to comment on it? I have about 35 days to decide, b/4 my McAfee Total Protection subscription expires.

If I don't get either the Norton 360 (free), G-Data or ESET Suites, I will purchase an anti-virus-only software and continue using Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware free downloads to cover spyware/malware..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back