What is a bang for the buck Anti Virus these days?

Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by Touring5
You can pay a little or a lot for the exact same product. Sign up for free promotion emails from Newegg and keep your eyes peeled for bargains. I bought kaspersky internet security (1 year, 3 seats) for ~$15. Their "normal" price is upwards of $70 for the same thing. I've seen them promote it for other prices as well.

Depending on the maker's policy, you may be able to purchase 2 keys at a good price, install and activate and then renew with the second key. Most companies now tie the activation date to the first activation on the key - if you have 3 seats, all installs with that key will expire based on the first install (so you can't "stack" them). EESET, Kapersky, and Bitdefender have this type of policy.

Most AV products are adequate, including WD. Paid products allow for more or easier customization. A good website is malwaretips.com (kind of a BITOG for security software).

When I downloaded them, free Butdefender was over 500MB and Kaspersky was a svelte 181MB . No thanks! Uninstalled both. Installed free ESET at 50MB.

I never heard of free ESET. Is this new? What I have heard-of is Free Trial ESET. That's not free after the short trial period.

Another member here bought Bitdefender for five of his computers. Good luck with that. Many here have reported Windows compatability issues with Bitdefender.

Another member here bought Bitdefender for five of his computers. Good luck with that. Many here have reported Windows compatability issues with Bitdefender.

I got a deal for $ 20 for use of BD Total security on 5 computers. I, my two daughters and son in law are using 4 of the licenses. While I did have a temp problem with BD services process not wanting to run when I had W7 on my laptop, It works fine on W10 now. They have had no issues.

Two months plus and ZERO issues with Bitdefender Total Security. Also have it on my cell phone and my GFs PC and her cell phone -- ZERO issues between us. Ebay has killer prices and super simple to download activation key.

You do realize the eBay warez are pirated keys from academic/student promo code generators, don't you? Eset or Trendmicro goes even cheaper there.

We use Webroot Secure Anywhere, based in Colorado and, have never been compromised
by any virus. Been using now for at least 10 yrs. It also uses the least amount of resources than any other anti-virus which is a huge plus when it comes to slowing down a PC like some of the other brands are known for. I highly recommend it.
Also, we use Malwarebytes free version for occasional scans on the side. Just as a backup.

Last edited:
Back