Any good free anti virus programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I have AVG anti virus and it slows my computer down tremendously. Everytime it updates the computer freezes up and I can't use it until it finishes. The fact that my computer is kinda old doesn't help but doesn't anyone know of an anti virus that is free and is pretty good without slowing down the computer?

I would stick with AVG. Just set it to scan while you are away from the computer or once a week.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I would stick with AVG. Just set it to scan while you are away from the computer or once a week.

I go a little further and set the update to every 14 days. Everyday seemed a little too often for me. No problems.

MSSE as Eddie has stated above... I had AVG for yrs... till they joined forces with yahoo... Here is the telling tale... I tried to delete AVG the correct way, and it denies the administrator (me) permission to delete certain parts of it...

I took it to a certified repair store... The tech kinda laughed after he heard my story... He basically said---> "Did ya learn your lesson?" This is just my personal experience...

Another recommendation for Avast!

I've had it for years and it's the only one I'll setup on any one else's system. I've got it on countless family and friend's systems are rarely do I get a call/complaint associated with a virus.

Joel

Last edited:
I've have MSE for a couple of years on all of my machines and always put it on machines I clean up for other people.

Is there any reason for my to try out Avast.

I used it a long long time ago. The thing that turns me off to it is the number of "shields". I know they're not all necessary, but which ones are the "bare minimum" needed.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Microsoft security essentials. Good, free,,

Click here

This.

Another vote for MSE. It's free, easy to set up and does not take up a lot of resources. It is designed to work hand in hand with Microsoft based computers.

I used to run Avast on two different computers, it really bogged down both machines. I used ESET free home edition for a few months, it was good too but when the free trial period ends it bugs you to either purchase it or renew the free trial with a different email address.

I started on MSE a few weeks ago based on recommendations here aand it is working out fine so far. I use Super AntiSpyware, another good free program. I heard about that one here on BITOG too.

They also use MSE on my work computer. I figure if MSE is good enough for the State of Florida, it should be plenty good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

Click here

This.

Another vote for MSE. It's free, easy to set up and does not take up a lot of resources. It is designed to work hand in hand with Microsoft based computers.

I used to run Avast on two different computers, it really bogged down both machines. I used ESET free home edition for a few months, it was good too but when the free trial period ends it bugs you to either purchase it or renew the free trial with a different email address.

I started on MSE a few weeks ago based on recommendations here aand it is working out fine so far. I use Super AntiSpyware, another good free program. I heard about that one here on BITOG too.

They also use MSE on my work computer. I figure if MSE is good enough for the State of Florida, it should be plenty good enough for me.

The state is probably using Endpoint which is the corporate version for business entities with over 10 computers that will have MSE installed. Same difference really as they're both based on the same core as far as I have read.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

Click here

This.

Hmm, maybe I should have stayed in the Security forums for my Automotive/Oil advice...

Truth is there's no AV test anywhere that shows MSE anything other than average (using nice word) in detection. The Free AV's Avast, Avira, AVG, Panda Cloud, beat the pulp out of MSE in detection.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I've used Avira + Defender on my home Vista machine for a few years. They have worked well.

Avira has a known (for years) conflict with Defender. Avira tells you to disable Defender when it installs.

I like AVG, on my computer I run:

AVG, Malwarebyte, CCleaner, and Spywearbot.

All kept up to date, seems to work pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back