Any Golfers in here?

Due to a change in role, learning golf will be beneficial to me. I plan to take some lessons, but was curious if the golfers on this forum can point me to some reading materials for learning and provide some advice on equipment.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Best to get lessons from a PGA professional. Will allow you to learn the game without developing bad habits that are difficult to correct. The best lessons I have had were with a company named Golftec. They utilize video and position sensors to analyze your swing. The video feedback is incredibly helpful.

Regarding clubs…. Where to start. There are players clubs, game improving and super game improvement. Steel or graphite shafts. Different swingweights. All these to develop the best club suited for your swing. Impossible to know what would work best for you as a new golfer. You can probably get some insight from your instructor.

Likely your first set won’t be your last. I have been playing for 60 years. It is easy to be seduced by all the hype from the major club manufacturers. In 2015 I was fitted for clubs. After an exhausting analysis (and I mean exhausting) I picked the club heads, shafts and grips that gave me the best numbers, looked good (very important believe it or not) and felt great. Never looked back. I know if I hit a crap shot, it is all on me.

Last edited:
Due to a change in role, learning golf will be beneficial to me. I plan to take some lessons, but was curious if the golfers on this forum can point me to some reading materials for learning and provide some advice on equipment.

Thanks.

What change in role ??

Work role change ?

I’d tell you to watch old Golf major tournaments.. Like the Masters, British Optn, The PGA, The US Open.

Why ?

Because knowing the history of the game is helpful too. If you are going to be around others who have played a long time…. Then you will know about the history of the game of golf.

Start with the 4th round of the 1986 Masters…

A great round to watch.. amazing commentary by the men who called it.

Thanks.

If you live near NJ, I'd be glad be happy to get out with you for a round.

Chipping and putting are how you lower your score. Buy some good wedges they make a difference. Try a ton of putters before buying. Then see if you can take three of them on the course to demo before buying one . Learn how to read a green . Try several different types of balls they do make a difference. If you tend to choke up on your driver have the shaft shortened. You might find it more consistent. Hitting a ball in the fairway off the tee box is better than hitting it really far but in the rough. Just remember it’s the hardest game you will love . One good hole brings you back for another round . Enjoy.

My advise, I'm a poor left handed golfer, and find myself playing a few business rounds a year.

You need training from a PGA pro and more than once a year. Also hit the driving range once a week. Top golf counts also.

Also get the correct length clubs.

I second the take lessons and get a proper fitting for clubs. No need for $5k clubs to start but some decent ones is good. Don't worry about the total score for quite a while, go play with some sober responsible golfer buddies a few times before going for a business round just to learn some reasonable etiquette and habits on the course.
Either you will like the game or you won't, TBH I'd always choose to go mountain biking than play a round of golf, but its a good social time with people that can't bike, and if you hit a few good shots in a row, it can make the round kind of rewarding. Chipping and putting is like 50% of the game, irons 40% and driving 10%, unless you are playing from the blues/black/pro tees, but most people don't unless they are very good.
My BIL has played pebble beach with bigger clients and plays about the same as me, which isn't great, but it doesn't seem to matter much and he isn't taking lessons, so don't stress too much if its not your game.

Last edited:
LOL, this is going to be pretty expensive to keep up with whoever you're supposed to keep up with.

Are you a natural athlete? Did you play sports growing up? Baseball? No, they're not the same, but it's a start.

Are you in good shape? Do you have a decent muscle structure in your shoulders, arms, hands, back, abs, hips, thighs and calves? Are you able to walk 3-5 miles across medium terrain in a timely manner?

I suggest you find someone that plays and ask them to take you to a driving range. Give them money for gas, pay for theirs and your range balls and buy lunch. You will get to hit enough balls that you will sleep well that night. You will be very sore the next day.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but it sounds like you're completely green about it. Golf is very technical, physical and mental.

BTW, I started playing at about age 11, we lived near a golf course, some of my friends and I would sneak on at dusk or such and play a few holes. We played through high school and I played some after. When I was about 25, I played about 2-3 days a week during the summer until I started building my first house. Golf clubs got hidden behind a bunch of stuff in a closet, I suddenly had a lot of projects to finish for years.

Every now and then today, I will take a few old balls out, break out a few clubs and hit across the front yard or take a few out to the edge of the road and drive some across the 13 acre field. I'm worn out then!

I’d tell you to watch old Golf major tournaments.. Like the Masters, British Optn, The PGA, The US Open.

Why ?

Because knowing the history of the game is helpful too. If you are going to be around others who have played a long time…. Then you will know about the history of the game of golf.

I was going to suggest this also.

My advice for clubs - go look at some of the second-hand sports-related stores, give it two weeks, look for a whole decent set someone gave up.

Second, hit Costco and buy the set they sell, with a bag, etc. You don't need to get "fitted" to start learning. There's a ton of stuff to learn. You need to learn how to hit the ball.

I just had to comment for fun. (and then I'll stay out of it) We just bought and moved into a new home in a golf resort. But I dont golf *LOL* but I took up PickleBall. *LOL*

Last edited:
Lessons - local golf pro to you isn't usually too expensive
Clubs - buy used to start, but get them fitted to you AND get new grips!
Shoes - only get comfortable shoes!
Golf Balls - When you practice, you will find what you like best. "Bite" matters.

Swing plane trainer helped me a lot.

Short game is where you win.

Anyone can drive the ball.

Chip shots, putting, and ranges less than 100 yards win the game

Last edited:
Gets you out of the house for an entire day. Everything else is simply collateral. Don’t waste your time with trainers. They make a living convincing you that you’re better than you’ll ever be.

I've known quite a few people who play a lot of golf and not one of them likes it. They do it because of "helpful social activity".

Back