Any Chevy Cruize owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2 in the extended family. One is a 2012 auto LT, the other a 2014 LT with a manual trans. Both have the 1.4 turbo engine. The 2012 did have the water pump replaced and some recall work done, but it's been a good car and they both get a little better mileage than EPA. I had the cruise set on the 2012 at 73 mph (had borrowed it to take a trip to WVa), and when I was passing other cars would go almost up to 80 mph, and it still got 38 mpg according to the computer.

Originally Posted By: gyrfalcon
Originally Posted By: Kory
Transmission is top notch aisin warner unit thats been around awhile

Would you agree the transmission is somewhat hard on shift points? Mine seems like it sometimes lurches when it's at certain speeds. Aisin makes good transmissions, just want to make sure I didn't get a lemon since I haven't had the opportunity to drive a different Diesel Cruze yet.

Yup completely normal. It locks the torque converter up quick. Better fuel economy and less clutch wear.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
"... just want to make sure I didn't get a lemon since I haven't had the opportunity to drive a different Diesel Cruze yet...

Just to make sure, the last time I looked at the Lemon Law, it was the after the three repair trips for the same problem. You could have a car that needed recalls for many single problems and not be a lemon.

You know what he meant...or maybe you are that thick?

A happy Cruze Eco (manual transmission) owner here. The car hit 98k miles over the weekend. Aside from the well-documented water pump issues, which GM's working hard to turn into a hassle-free fix, the car's been quite reliable and fun to drive. Aside from the polished areas on the steering wheel and shifter, it's hard to tell that it has 98k miles on it. The interior is holding up just fine, it still runs well, and it's consistently creamed its EPA ratings.

I don't know much about the auto transmission version since mine's a manual and I haven't spent much time in an auto Cruze. This manual is pretty easy to drive, even in stop and go traffic. It did need the OEM fluid swapped with Amsoil Synchromesh to smooth out some occasionally funky shifting. I like the short throws and light clutch. It's occasionally notchy when cold, and smooths out when warmed up.

The different trims of the Cruze drive quite differently. A 1LT will drive differently than a 2LT or LTZ due to tire size/speed rating and suspension tuning. The Eco manual drives like a longer-legged 2LT due to the transmission gearing and 17" V-rated tires. The automatics drive quite differently than the manuals. And the thirsty LS drives like a 1LT with a potato stuffed up its tailpipe. So, it's possible that my experience of the Cruze as a fun to drive fuel-sipper is the opposite from a person who drives a 1LT automatic.

Avoid the 2011 automatics on the used market. They won't get anywhere near EPA fuel economy thanks to very short gearing. The 2012 and later Cruze automatics will meet/beat EPA thanks to a taller final drive ratio.

Finally, if possible, buy a manual. It really uncorks the potential of the 1.4T in higher Cruze trims, gets better fuel economy, and is still easy to live with in suburban driving.

My wife had a 2011 and we put 38k on it before trading it in on a Volt. It never had any problems. My 2013 has 37k on it so far with no issues. It's a decent car for in it's segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back