Any Castrol fans on here?

Must be something about Nissans.... My G35 did exactly the same. I think Castrol just re-named Magnatec to GTX, didn't they ? It's in a silver bottle now. I'm using it and it's quiet just like Magnatec.
Someone here said Edge was the replacement - there were a few threads back when Magnatec vanished. Might have to try GTX someday. However I am a if it aint broke sorta guy, so unless it becomes much cheaper than M1, I already tried Edge - fool me once.

Someone here said Edge was the replacement - there were a few threads back when Magnatec vanished. Might have to try GTX someday. However I am a if it aint broke sorta guy, so unless it becomes much cheaper than M1, I already tried Edge - fool me once.
Edge was always $26-30 at Walmart while Magnatec and now GTX varies from $20-23. I need to look at what I have in the garage 'cause I bought 4 x 5-quart bottles at Walmarts when it was on clearance (and was discussed here). I got a couple bottles for $13 and change.

It's this one - GTX Full Synthetic: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-Full-Synthetic-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/501082252

Castrol shows ^this^ one on their website but it's like choice # 6 when I input my car and get their recommendations. Edge, Edge Euro formula, etc are their first choices. Someone above said Magnatec is still listed on Castrol's website so I'm gonna look. I wonder if they just searched for it and found what's effectively an old page though.

It's interesting I just went to their website and, at least globally, they're still making it. Maybe it's just in the US they stopped selling the brand.

If you follow the link on that page that says to find it in your country, when you pick the US, you are redirected to their main page for engine oils. Even the branding on the page you linked is not the same Magnatec that we used to see here.

Lots of shops in Canada use Castrol oils as their basic oil, including Canadian Tire that I work for. I’d say more than 50% of cars up here have Castrol oil in them. Cars run fine up here!

I became more of a Castrol fan after I scored 25 quarts of Edge and GTX synthetic in the recent Tractor Supply clearance. But in the early 1970's, Castrol GTX 20w-50 was my go to oil for the imported cars I had.

Castrol oil is so named because, over 100 years ago, they started blending in a percentage of castor bean oil to improve the motor oil then available. I can remember, in the early 1960s. being able to buy Castrol with castor bean oil.

Up until two years ago I kept my boat at the coast. The majority of DIY inshore charter captains used Castrol 10w40 conventional oil in their outboards. Many with thousands of hours on the motor. Must be good.

Only sought it out on AZ or AAP close outs; Magnatec for $1/qt and 0w-40 for $10/gal. (5qt?)

I used the 0W-40 in my yaris for 1 OC of about 15K miles. I was sold on that stuff. Sold the magnatec on craiglist for cost to a medical delivery person.

Pretty sure that's the only Castrol I've ever used.

Must be something about Nissans.... My G35 did exactly the same. I think Castrol just re-named Magnatec to GTX, didn't they ? It's in a silver bottle now. I'm using it and it's quiet just like Magnatec.
Magnatec was awesome I have been wondering lately how much GTX full synthetic is like it.

Does GTX have the same unique almost fruity smell Magnatec did?

I wish they had just left it alone.

My M2 is still under free maintenance and receives BMW 0w30 (Castrol and not the same as the stuff on the store shelf afaik) which supposedly is one of their weaker offerings, will switch to PPE, Mobil1, or Motul when that expires. Doing a UOA soon and curious to see what it looks like!

Last edited:
I’m a Castrol fan. That’s my top choice just simply because it’s kept the internals of my engines clean and the ones that were a little dirty it cleaned pretty well. That was even with conventional GTX white bottle. I never realized before joining here how many people like Mobil 1. I’m sure it’s a good oil but I don’t hardly ever use it unless it’s on sale. It’s overpriced in my opinion that’s why I stick to Castrol and Valvoline. I currently have tons of the old white bottles GTX 10W-40 that I cleaned out from Walmart when they closed it out. Also have three single quarts of the GTX High Mileage that my brother in law gave me that he bought at the Dollar General when he blew his Mercury up because it was out of oil lol. I also purchased the Edge High Mileage for my 1994 Camry that has a dirty internal engine so I’m going to see if it will clean it up too. Oddly enough I don’t know many people in person that like Castrol but I do. I even use it in my mowers and family members mowers.

I like their products but I don't use them exclusively. I have the GTX synthetic in the Trailblazer right now actually. I like OEM oil filters but I'm not too particular on oil brand.

Magnatec was awesome
Dumping magnatec seemed to be one of their dumber ideas. They spend a lot of time and money promoting a brand - then they just delete it - but just in N. America it seems. Sounds like their marketing team came from a certain light beer company.

Now, if they were to give me a $20 rebate on 2 bottles like M1, I would try it.

and receives BMW 0w30 (Castrol and not the same as the stuff on the store shelf afaik) which supposedly is one of their weaker offerings
People say that to justify the price they pay. It's Castrol Edge A3/B4 and sold at Walmart and other places. Why would Castrol or any oil manufacturer dilute their product ?

Castrol is a good oil and among the most quieting for engines. The first time I used it on my Ford Taurus it quieted the engine so much that I could barely hear it idling. I used Magnetec in my Ford vans almost exclusively. For my every day drivers I switched to Quaker State based on value.

Back