Any cassette deck users out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in the process of digitizing all the old tapes but many of them are from the very early 70's and the quality was simply never there, even when they were produced.

I'm using Audacity as it was the only thing I could find at the time and now its functionality is familiar to me.

Schmoe, have you used Audacity or just Music Editor? I was wondering if maybe Music Editor was better. The biggest problem I have with Audacity is getting the record levels right so they don't clip.

I'm no novice to using Audacity, but I use Adobe Audition for digitizing cassettes as the noise reduction is significantly more configurable in Audition.

The only problem I've had with Music Editor is getting the inputs right and recognized by the computer. The computer will recognize the line in, but when I set it on the editor, it's like it doesn't even know it's there. I use to use the line out headphone jack from the cassette to the computer, but like you mentioned, to much clip. So, I don't know what I did, but when I get everything set and the program and computer recognize a line-in signal and not a external microphone signal, everything works great. I have to really drop in input fader on the editor program. One thing I've learned, record some parts of it and listen to it with headphones. If happy, then record the whole thing. Music Editor has a TON of free internal controls. There is one to set the clicking problem at like 0 or +1dB and works really, really well. I have a bunch of old recorded band tapes from my youth that were recorded through VDU meters probably set around +3 or +4 (it was back in the day and we were young!!!) or recorded with one of those cheapo hand held condensed mics laying in the middle of the room and the dB record levels range from infinity to +6 at any given time, again I was yound and drummer, so I made sure I was heard...LOL. Also, with Editor, you can set EQ's, choruses, fades, gains, dynamics, etc. etc. to your hearts content. Was really impressed that this was free shareware. It also files it as a .wav file, which can be played just about on anything.

I have not had any luck at all using Audacity to remove tape hiss. It's too bad Adobe Audition isn't free.

The biggest worry I have is that I don't think the S/N is that great on the line-in on built-in sound cards. I've observed a noticeable difference on ripped tapes comparing the source tape to the file on my computer. I hate thinking that I am losing something when it's just a tape to start with...

If you got the time to play with Music Editor, you can zoom into the hiss frequencies and simply delete those out. You got to find out what dB it is at. Any peak over that level will be a signal level and not white noise. Also, when dumping onto the computer, set the noise reduction on. Look for the peaks and expand those, meaning that what noise reduction took out, it will still show up as a peak, simply expand those peaks. I've only played around with the editor a little and from what all I've done, it has been simply amazing. The only thing is, it takes time. Seriously, download the free music editor and try it. I think you'll like it above what you are now using. I've used it for some band recordings from way back in the early 80's and they sound WAYYYYY better than the original cassette.

I have a JVC dual tape deck that I haven't used in years.
I also have quite a selection of cassette tapes, some dating back to the late 70s that still play and they are of the Maxell brand.

I use my mp3 player mostly....through headphones or through my stereo receiver.

Somewhere . . . in that vast storage unit we call home . . . is a box of assorted blank Maxell tapes from the late 70s - early 80s, all still sealed in the cello. Some XL-IIs, XL-IISes, some MXes, mostly 60s and 90s. Our 855 has a cassette deck, but I don't think it's seen a tape in at least ten years. Still, one gets to wondering.

LOL! Over the past weekend: I bought a Nakamichi 480 into my addition. Other than the fact that it needs a new idler tire (ePrey has them), it plays fine and sounds far superior to many other mid-fi grade cassette tape players out there. with dual capstan close loop, 480 sounds better than my BX200, and wwwwaaay better than my GX head Akai...

I just luv the sound of Naks...no other decks can cut it..

Q.

Oh yes, definitely brings back a lot of good memories.

Used to be a big fan of BASF ChromDioxide(type-2) and FerroChrome (type-3) but they wear out the heads faster than you can call it 0-60. Was briefly into Agfa but due to high humidity where I grew up: tapes tend to go bad rather quickly.

Then moved to TDK/Sony and occasionally National(angsrom series, very rare) and also Maxell... As I gradually mature and move on, I ventured deeper into either type4 tapes (TDK MA or MA-X, Sony or Maxell) or stay on Type-1 tapes for everyday listening.

Over the years I worked out my little list of favourite heads type from various manufacturers:

Teac: ferrite heads

JVC: SA heads

Sony: certain "sendust" head types

Akai: GX glass-coated heads

certain late model Denon, Yamaha or Sony with "amorphous heads"

all Naks, execept the mid-70s top loading ones.

They can be very finicky to adjust the bias but nevertheless, they are a hoot to play with, both from recording the music materials and try to record as high of a dynamics (of course, dolby added) w/o overwhelming the magnetics on the tape.

Cheers,

Q.

Do you guys remember the cassette tapes that looked like reel-to-reel? I always wanted to have one of these for the cool factor, but could never find them in stores anywhere.
smile.gif

2686015172_0135ea124f.jpg

Quattro....while living in Guam, we could get those cassettes all day long, but they were expensive. The metal tapes would wear out a head in no time at all. Most of the problem your going to run into with older decks is the rubber drive bands if so equipped. The rubber gets old and they start to squeak and squeal. But, it doesn't transfer down when you dump the sounds onto a computer. Those Naks and Teac's were the best decks ever. I don't know if Revox made any, but anything Revox was the creame dela creame.

I think those old RTR cassettes were all junky Type I units but if you had a deck that has a nice big front they sure would look cool.

Someone found this for me a few years back. Wish my decks didn't automatically set bias for type as I can't use it.

IMG_7397_resized_061809.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do you guys remember the cassette tapes that looked like reel-to-reel? I always wanted to have one of these for the cool factor, but could never find them in stores anywhere.
smile.gif

2686015172_0135ea124f.jpg

Yeah, still vividly recall the looks of these tapes. Owing to my poor financial status back when these tapes came out: ended up bought some [censored] ones that doesn't even sound right...gave up on the "hip" factor entirely and went back to Maxell LM series for a decade.

*sometimes, being poor may limit what you can buy but not your imaginative/creative ways of getting things to work for you to their best....my best decade ever***

Q.

I figured those RTR-looking tapes were mainly for show since none of the reputable manufacturers would bother with them.
smile.gif

Maxell XL-II was typically what I used. Great price-performance ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back