Any benefit to a 5w30 in my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving your Stribeck curve a few units to the right will not - can not - hurt a thing.

Living in Florida, the xW rating is pretty much irrelevant. Lower ratings may fractionally improve your MPG, or they may not, depending on the oil's actual visc/temp curve. (The xW rating guarantees only a maximum visc at a target temperature; it says nothing about visc at 40F.)

I say, go for a 0W-30, preferably a Euro oil with a fat A3/B4 HTHS. (Hey, If you're gonna do this, make a big enough jump that you actually have some hope of noticing a difference.)
Or maybe M1 10W-30HM which is a bit thicker and presumably has more AW additives.
M1 10W30EP?
Helix Ultra 5W-30?
Castrol Edge (?) in 0W-30 A3/B4 trim
Etc.

In any rate, run the stuff for a while are tell us what you think!

Last edited:
Well I'll be sticking with my beloved TGMO 0w20 then, paired with a fresh Fram Ultra of course. Looking forward to quieting the piston slap again. I like this M1, but full disclosure, its not the quietest oil I have ran.

Your plan to stick with 0W-20 for short trips is a good one.

Another option is to add 1 quart of Mobil 1 0W-40 to the 4 quarts of 0W-20 (as I do for prolonged driving) for a viscosity of 2.9ct, which is right on the border between 20 and 30 weight oils.

For a mix of city and highway driving, adding a quart or even half-quart of 0W-40 might help over the long-run and certainly won't hurt anything in the warm Florida climate.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Your plan to stick with 0W-20 for short trips is a good one.

Another option is to add 1 quart of Mobil 1 0W-40 to the 4 quarts of 0W-20 (as I do for prolonged driving) for a viscosity of 2.9ct, which is right on the border between 20 and 30 weight oils.

For a mix of city and highway driving, adding a quart or even half-quart of 0W-40 might help over the long-run and certainly won't hurt anything in the warm Florida climate.

I may just do that, I did some calculations, and if I use 4 quarts of TGMO and 1 quart of Mobil 1 0w20 Ill end up with a 40F CST of around 42 and a 100F CST of 9.2ish as well as a VI of 218ish. Thats pretty darn good. Im just not hip on mixing oils thats all. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back