Any Amoco Ultimate Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Durango with the 4.7. I was using the 93 octane just to try it out. No diference! I am using the 87 as perscribed by Dodge. My truck runs fine. No need for higher octane.

I use BP 93 octane sometimes. I prefer the shell 93 v-power due to it top tier gas status.

But as the others have stated, I wouldn't use it if your car doesn't call for higher octane. Waste of money. Add a bottle of techron or some FP. IMO, you'll have much better results than a higher octane fuel.

I have to use 93. My VW W8 calls for 93. I tried 89 once and it threw a check engine light.

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz:
as long as you're willing to deal with a 20-25 hp loss. The computer just adjusts the timing based on knock sensor data to account for the lower octane.

I'd like too see some proof that there is that much HP drop between regular and premium.

Maybe 5-7hp loss max.

Some engines are designed for a SPECIFIC octane (some Fords immediately come to mind), others for a MINIMUM octane (many Europeans, particularly turbos).

The difference is crucial when selecting the pump grade.

Due to price increases daughter was running 89 and went to 87 to save money, the decrease in her mpg was greater then the price differential between 87 and 89. So, back to 89,. car runs better on the 89, no pinging etc.
I agree go with the maufacturer recommendation unless it runs poorly and the next graxe does better. however, if they recommend 91 I would never use 89 or lower, there is a difference, maybe you cannot feel or see it but there is.

I use Amoco Ultimate 93 octane in my Vette.

I tried Amoco Ultimate in my wife's Vtec Honda for a month and got ZERO, ZIP gains in gas mileage. Now I just use the cheapest 87 octane gas and twice a month I add some FP60 to the tank.

My 00 Suzuki Esteem I used to have was designed for 87 Octane but would knock if you just feathered the clutch out at idle when going around a drive thru but on 92/3 would run just fine and no knocking ect.

My father's old 99 Explorer came with a warning that higher than 87 octane could actually harm the polution control equipment.

My 04 Neon does not car in the least what fuel is run in it. 87, 89, or 92/3 no milage difference.

Had a teacher with a Focus that did get better milage with 89 but no better with 92/3. So his knock sensor was throttling back the timing.

96 Cherokee, BP bought Amoco, and the stations that I have seen in WI, IN, and PA, say something like "BP Featuring Amoco Quality Fuels".

quote:

Originally posted by 95_carvan:
I'd like too see some proof that there is that much HP drop between regular and premium.

Maybe 5-7hp loss max.

Agree - and, at that, if your figure is at the flywheel, not where the rubber meets the road after parasitic losses through the transmission/differential, universal joints, and wheel bearings, maybe figure an additional 1-2 hp loss at higher elevations.

My 93 Sundance 3.0 V6 got Amoco Ultimate exclusively since I drove it off the showroom, and it really seemed to like it. After 75,000 miles of trouble-free ownership, it smoked the tires on the way to be traded in 4 years later. I also used it exclusively in my Talon TSi and it ran very well. Since I've never seen an Amoco station since I moved to Dallas, I have no idea if the quality of Ultimate has degraded at all. These days, it's a steady diet of RaceTrack 87 octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back