Any advice on using oil in 5 gal pail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all I just purchased a 5 gallon pail of RLI (renewable lube) 5w20 for 75$ and I am used to using oil in quart or regular jugs. How should I go about using this oil so I don't spill it everywhere! Transfer in via a funnel to jugs and try not to spill?

How about, this, which is what I use:

31YEB3AQXDL._AC_UL320_SR246,320_.jpg

Call up napa or whoever and get a pump for a 5gallon bucket and a measured oil dispenser such as what garak listed.

Originally Posted By: Garak
How about, this, which is what I use:

31YEB3AQXDL._AC_UL320_SR246,320_.jpg

That looks like it will work well, do you have a product name for that so I can get one?

Just look up "oil measuring jug" on Google images. That brought up the Amazon link where I grabbed the picture. I got mine at a Canadian parts store, but Amazon sells the exact same one.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
siphon into qt containers until you can pour safely.

+1 Just pour into empty qts. or jugs with a funnel.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Just look up "oil measuring jug" on Google images. That brought up the Amazon link where I grabbed the picture. I got mine at a Canadian parts store, but Amazon sells the exact same one.

It is this thing here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQFWZK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one and encourage others to read the reviews. It tends to leak on quite a few people after awhile. Mine started leaking at the top spout area where it snaps on. It is made in Canada to boot and is a disgrace for a pour spout container.

I can't speak to other people's experiences with respect to that pouring device, but I've used mine for a number of years, and never had a drop leak. In fact, there is no oil residue at all on the outside (i.e. from a potential tiny leak down the front). But, I'm sure there are leakers out there, given that it's not likely to be made with appropriate precision, but where that is helpful in preventing leaks.

I think I have another one of them laying around somewhere, unused. Perhaps I should try it and press my luck.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back