Any Advantage In Valvoline Modern Engine Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently running Castrol Edge 5W40 oil in my Hyundai 2.0T Theta engine.

Had good luck running Castrol Edge and Syntec 0W40 and 5W40 in VW and Audi turbos for years. Figure VW 502.00 oil should work well in the Hyundai turbo.

Now Valvoline has the Modern Engine 5W30, which is supposed to be formulated for small displacement direct injected turbo engines.

Any reason to switch?

The Santa Fe Sport sees 95% short trips and 8,000mi per year.

Only from what Valvoline states. There is a thread here posted today that explains how oil can prevent valve deposits. Valvoline Modern Engine was the focus oil.

I plan on running VME with the next change. The current $15 rebate on VME makes the price competitive. At regular prices it’s a bit high for most.

Didn't know about the rebate. Was having problems with the $10 premium at WM. Might try it this winter.

I dont consider myself much of a fanboy, but I really like all the specs that PP now meets.
it has the new dexos 1 gen2 and also the chrysler ms-13340(for the direct injected turbo 2.0)

Valvoline Modern Engine does not meet the ACEA A5 classification that your Hyundai 2.0T engine requires.

Castrol 03084 Edge 5W-30 does meet ACEA A5 so that is what your engine requires

Your engine does not require dexos 1 gen 2, and it does not require API SN Plus. What it does require is ACEA A5.

Also you need to change the oil at maximum every 6,000 miles for normal duty, and every 3,000 miles for severe duty.

Originally Posted by wdn
Valvoline Modern Engine does not meet the ACEA A5 classification that your Hyundai 2.0T engine requires.

Your engine does not require dexos 1 gen 2, and it does not require API SN Plus. What it does require is ACEA A5.

Also you need to change the oil at maximum every 6,000 miles for normal duty, and every 3,000 miles for severe duty.

ACEA/A5 is hardly a requirement:

1. If it were, the dealerships would need to supply it to all vehicles where this "recommendation" is made in the Owner's Manual, during dealership OC visits. Instead, they supply blends and conventionals as the standard oil type. You need to pay for synthetic - even if you have a turbo and/or a maint plan.

2. Hyundai has an agreement with Shell where Quaker State is the supplied oil for most dealerships. If the consumer wishes to 'upgrade' to a synthetic while at a participating dealership, QSUD is the synthetic used, and it does not meet ACEA A5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by wdn

ACEA/A5 is hardly a requirement:

1. If it were, the dealerships would need to supply it to all vehicles where this "recommendation" is made in the Owner's Manual, during dealership OC visits. Instead, they supply blends and conventionals as the standard oil type. You need to pay for synthetic - even if you have a turbo and/or a maint plan.

2. Hyundai has an agreement with Shell where Quaker State is the supplied oil for most dealerships. If the consumer wishes to 'upgrade' to a synthetic while at a participating dealership, QSUD is the synthetic used, and it does not meet ACEA A5.

Thanks for exposing this wemay. I know there have been several threads in the past discussing this very point about the A5 requirement.

I have no issue with the [Edge] recommendation. I chose Edge for being A5 compliant too. I just wanted to clarify the "requirement" assertion. But make no mistake, I'd use VME in a heartbeat as well. I'm sure it's a great oil.

All the aforementioned oils above are good. You can't go wrong with any synthetic from most of the major formulators.

As to whether Valvoline Modern Engine Synthetic is worth the hefty price it is going for, I don't know. Unless there is something to this oil I'm unaware of, I don't see what is so unique about it. Valvoline makes very good oils, no doubt about it. The Noack is higher than the regular Valvoline FS, which is a surprise to me.

I personally have always been a M1 fan as they were and continue to be ahead of the curve on motor oil formulations despite what many on BITOG say. They were ahead with Honda's HTO-06 turbo spec, and 7 years ahead on SN +/LSPI.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...performance/mobil-1-turbocharged-engines

Pim Tac- Taking required vs recommended a step further... The owner's manual also allows for (turbo models) 15w40 and 20w50. I know of no ACEA A5 oils in these grades.

buster- Agreed, lots of great synthetics out there. Some of us with an affinity for particular brands will have no issue spending a little more for their top shelf iteration.

Pim Tac- Taking required vs recommended a step further... The owner's manual also allows for (turbo models) 15w40 and 20w50. I know of no ACEA A5 oils in these grades.

buster- Agreed, lots of great synthetics out there. Some of us with an affinity for particular brands will have no issue spending a little more for their top shelf iteration.

Exactly. How can Hyundai require A5 oils, yet list 5W-40, 10W-30, and state:

API Service SM,
ILSAC GF-4 (or above)
ACEA A5 (or above)

And actually REQUIRE the A5?

I agree. In the case of VME, the extra $12-15 I would spend for a year of driving is nothing really. I can make that up in other ways.

As it has been discussed before, Valvoline seems to slip on their marketing of VME. The only selling point is the word of Valvoline that it helps keep modern engines cleaner. I do not doubt their word but it's not enough for the extra $$ spent. It would be very interesting to see their sales figures broken down by each particular line of oil. The only info I have gleaned from researching is that their VIOC is doing very well with double digit growth. Oil sales were generally flat.

We do live in a period of time when motor oils are excellent and getting better in my opinion. Today's 0w20 oils are greatly underestimated by many here.

ACEA A5 is a requirement for the 2018 and is listed in the Hyundai owners manual here for the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport:

https://carmanuals2.com/hyundai/santa-fe-sport-2018-owner-s-manual-110929

Page 8-5 if you would care to check

Theta II 2.0 T-GDI
5.07 US qt. (4.8 l)
HYUNDAI approved engine oil ACEA A5 (or above)

So you are entitled to your opinion but those are the facts. If you want to keep the 100,000 mile warranty that is. The only time a manufacturer has to supply maintenance parts to you for free is if they say you must use their own brand. Hyundai is not saying you must use Hyundai brand oil -- they do say oil used in their engines must meet a spec determined by Hyundai. No different than any other car makers say oil used must meet some for their engines. Some like GM create their own spec.

If some of you guys want to play jailhouse lawyer and confuse the OP though go ahead. It's not my truck.

Originally Posted by wdn
ACEA A5 is a requirement for the 2018 and is listed in the Hyundai owners manual here for the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport:

Theta II 2.0 T-GDI
5.07 US qt. (4.8 l)

So you are entitled to your opinion but those are the facts. If you want to keep the 100,000 mile warranty that is. The only time a manufacturer has to supply maintenance parts to you for free is if they say you must use their own brand. Hyundai is not saying you must use Hyundai brand oil -- they do say oil used in their engines must meet a spec determined by Hyundai. No different than any other car makers say oil used must meet some for their engines. Some like GM create their own spec.

If some of you guys want to play jailhouse lawyer and confuse the OP though go ahead. It's not my truck.

So, what is 'Hyundai approved' oil? Quaker State? And what weight? The chart shows everything from 5W-30 thru 20W-50 depending on the ambient temps? How many of THOSE are ACEA A5 (or above)?

"For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil
of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-30 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4). However,
if the engine oil is not available in your state, select the proper
engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart."

So, someone in AZ could run 20W-50 SM/GF-4 oil and be covered....

So, you are saying that I have to use a Hyundai Approved 5W-30 that is ACEA A5 (or above), and they recommend Quaker State[is that their approval?]. Show me a QS 5W-30 that is A5 (or above).

But wait, they recommend a 5W-30 that meets API SM/ILSAC GF-4, right. So does Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5W-30 qualify? But wait, that isn't A5 (or better).

And I know for a fact that the local Hyundai dealers here use QSAD 5W-30. Not even a synthetic....no where near an A5 oil.

Originally Posted by wdn

Theta II 2.0 T-GDI
5.07 US qt. (4.8 l)

This has been discussed many times here. Member wemay has been through all of this including talking to Hyundai America. The oil they recommend in the owners manual and the oil they use at the dealerships is not A5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back