Any Advantage In Valvoline Modern Engine Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one's playing a 'jailhouse lawyer' and trying to confuse anyone.

Again, Hyundai has a contract with Shell for QS to be the supplied oil at participating dealerships. The owner's manual, along with specifying A5, also says QS is the recommended lubricant. QS has no ACEA A5 oil. Those are facts too. Straight out of the manual. Not to mention the other allowable viscosity (per the manual) that cannot be found with A5 certification. No matter how hard it's disputed, these are facts as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
No one's playing a 'jailhouse lawyer' and trying to confuse anyone.

Again, Hyundai has a contract with Shell for QS to be the supplied oil at participating dealerships. The owner's manual, along with specifying A5, also says QS is the recommended lubricant. QS has no ACEA A5 oil. Those are facts too. Straight out of the manual. Not to mention the other allowable viscosity (per the manual) that cannot be found with A5 certification. No matter how hard it's disputed, these are facts as well.

I wonder if Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 would meet ACEA A5?? Even if it's not "officially" listed as such.

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 does I believe. Has does Mobil 1 5w30, Mobil 1 EP.

One thing I wonder about a bit is oils "punching above their weight" so to speak... Where a oil may well meet Dexos, A5 etc but it just wasn't tested and paid for to get that approval. I would not recommend applying this idea while under warranty. But after that I'd be willing to say it could be worth a shot at times.

The QS probably doesn't meet it so as not to "float the gaskets". (Another thread)
lol.gif

Someone should call up Hyundai and call them on this nonsense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
I wonder if Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 would meet ACEA A5?? Even if it's not "officially" listed as such.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It did before, and the specification disappearing could have been for the same reason it temporarily disappeared from Castrol and Mobil variants. If it meets A5 but not B5 and they avoid bringing it up now, that's perfectly fine, since they're following the rules for labelling.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by bbhero

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It did before, and the specification disappearing could have been for the same reason it temporarily disappeared from Castrol and Mobil variants. If it meets A5 but not B5 and they avoid bringing it up now, that's perfectly fine, since they're following the rules for labelling.

Bet you are right on with that Garak.

Makes sense to me as well.

If we use this logic, then any major brand can be used that "once met" the spec. Valvoline Synthetic would fit the bill and we've now come full circle.

But the logic here makes a lot of sense in a way...

The only reason the oil doesn't meet it now is due to the B5 diesel spec side of the equation. But it in reality meets the gasoline side the A5 side. QS is just being smart in not saying they meet just one side of it..

I completely understand what you're saying but...

Again, when you want to use an oil that meets a spec, you cannot go by hypotheticals. If the spec isn't on the label or PDS, it doesnt qualify. These are billion dollar companies, it shouldn't be up to the avg consumer to give them a pass and make excuses for them.

It isn't the oil mfc I'm criticizing here, its the oem for having a confusing recommendation. The other issue with this topic is, for instance, Mobil1 did not meet A5 for some time in recent years. The dealership i frequented wasn't part of the SOPUS agreement so they've used Mobil1 as their syn for years. As of a few months ago now, Mobil1 again meets A5. So sometimes the dealership high end oil will fall in and out of line with the recommended spec during your time of ownership with the vehicle. What person outside this forum will even know or care to keep up with tiny letters hidden on the back label? The vast majority only care about what's on the front... viscosity, syn or not, brand name, and in rare cases, that it has the donut.

I'm glad more companies currently meet A5...Castrol Edge, Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum. It gives the detail oriented consumer options. And if the spec is important to you, these oils need no excuses.

Last edited:
I agree about OEM confusion... You are exactly right about that.

The spec part.... Again... Key part here.. under warranty... I agree. Run one that truly and actually lists it.

Outside of that... Who gives a #2. Seriously. If the product meet it before like Valvoline and QS did... And now doesn't due to the diesel side... I wouldn't give a numero#2.

But hey... I have my car at 241k miles so I am at that phase
lol.gif

I've been way out of warranty for a long time now.

Agreed, out of warranty? Run what you want.

I think we've been on the same page the whole time here... This doggone typing deal is not always easy to navigate.

But yeah that's where I was at the whole time.

Under warranty I'd run PP or M1 because they actually list the proper spec.

After that... Yeeha. Open the barn door
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Pim Tac- Taking required vs recommended a step further... The owner's manual also allows for (turbo models) 15w40 and 20w50. I know of no ACEA A5 oils in these grades.

buster- Agreed, lots of great synthetics out there. Some of us with an affinity for particular brands will have no issue spending a little more for their top shelf iteration.

Exactly. How can Hyundai require A5 oils, yet list 5W-40, 10W-30, and state:

API Service SM,
ILSAC GF-4 (or above)
ACEA A5 (or above)

And actually REQUIRE the A5?

Hyundai's only requirement for the 2018 SFS 2.0T is ACEA A5 (or above), no API or ILSAC.

Planning to use Mobil 1 5W30. Mobil 1's web site specifies ACEA A5, although bottle labels to not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by knerml
Pim Tac- Taking required vs recommended a step further... The owner's manual also allows for (turbo models) 15w40 and 20w50. I know of no ACEA A5 oils in these grades.

buster- Agreed, lots of great synthetics out there. Some of us with an affinity for particular brands will have no issue spending a little more for their top shelf iteration.

API Service SM,
ILSAC GF-4 (or above)
ACEA A5 (or above)

Hyundai's only requirement for the 2018 SFS 2.0T is ACEA A5 (or above), no API or ILSAC.

Planning to use Mobil 1 5W30. Mobil 1's web site specifies ACEA A5, although bottle labels to not.

They (Mobil1) do. The bottles you're looking at are the old stock.

And in recommending only A5 and not API or ILSAC, QS should be removed from the manuals. It just confuses things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by knerml

API Service SM,
ILSAC GF-4 (or above)
ACEA A5 (or above)

You need to read the manual again.

Thanks for the screenshot...

Again, no "requirement" but "recommends" ACEA, just like they recommend QS (on same page) which does not have ACEA credentials, and hasn't for a couple or more years now.

I think Brigagier is referencing previous years. Our 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T Owner's Manual shows API/ILSAC and ACEA.

As an aside, when i questioned Hyundai America if i should now abide by the current spec, they assured me it wasn't necessary as they weren't going to back spec, and this for a more powerful version of the 2.0T.

Last edited:
wemay, out of curiosity...

I maintain 3 Hyundais and a Kia, all with Theta engines, and I see you are running Megnatec in your Sportage and Edge in your SFS.

Why the two types of oil?

See those asterisks with the numbers? Did you see those two pages later?

*1 says to use 5W-30 (API SM/GF-4)

And no, I am reading from the 2018 manual....

Last edited:
See those asterisks with the numbers? Did you see those two pages later?

*1 says to use 5W-30 (API SM/GF-4)

And no, I am reading from the 2018 manual....

That's further proof that the manuals need some serious updating and clarification.

*1 Refer to the SAE viscosity chart on page 8-7 (basically 5W30 or 5W40)
*2 Engine oil labeled Energy Conserving are now available. Along with additional benefits ....
*3 If API SM not available, use API SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back