Any 3.6L Pentastar owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dtownfb
Here's a new article that appeared in Automotive News today:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ring-pentastars

They are up to 500 new requests each week for cylinder heads from the dealerships. Sounds like this is a huge issue for Chrysler.

I read that and a few others, they are downplaying it as well as trying to shift blame a bit. I'm on the sidelines with cash waiting. I really want to see how this plays out. I'm actually thinking about dropping the rotted oil pan on my Aerostar and waiting for the 2014's LOL.

I noticed they are not saying it is a design flaw but multiple issues coming together at one time. My guess is this issue will broaden as the months go by.

Originally Posted By: dtownfb
I noticed they are not saying it is a design flaw but multiple issues coming together at one time. My guess is this issue will broaden as the months go by.

I read somewhere it was a design flaw, I wish I knew where though. Common sense tells me it was a flaw, I mean after all they re-designed the head, and re-tooled for it. If it wasn't a design flaw would they go through all that bother?

1.5 million engines out there with maybe 7500 issues? And the article says 500 requests per week? A dozen complaints to NHTSA?

If you do the math something doesn't add up. But there is no doubt this is a huge issue. I'm really surprised, you can bet they're all over this.

It's interesting to note that no one at 300cforums.com has had a problem with a Pstar yet. Why don't CARS have this issue?

Last edited:
The problem affect 0.5% of Pentastars. I'm not too worried. My '11 is still running smooth. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sometimes we fail to notice that.

There are MILLIONS of Pstars out there.

This is the case with most every engine where "they all" have a certain problem. You can have hundreds of people reporting the same problem, and the conclusion on internet message boards is that "they all" must have problems. Chrysler Pentastar, Honda VCM, Ford Modular plugs, etc.

The actual failure rate is likely very small.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

This is the case with most every engine where "they all" have a certain problem. You can have hundreds of people reporting the same problem, and the conclusion on internet message boards is that "they all" must have problems. Chrysler Pentastar, Honda VCM, Ford Modular plugs, etc.

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Classic "Internet Amplification"!

I have a 2011 GC lerado x with the 3.6 that i purchased in July of 2010 as soon as they hit the dealers. I have about 20,000 miles on it and the engine runs fine. The only problem i've had with it is with the key fob not being recognized. I also had the trans flashed under one of the tsb's to hold first gear longer(much better performance).

How can there be 'millions' of these engines out there if it's only been available for a year or so? Or are you being sarcastic?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

How can there be 'millions' of these engines out there if it's only been available for a year or so? Or are you being sarcastic?

18 months after production started (1-27-12) they rolled the millionth one of the assembly line. mike
Link:
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/01/millionth-pentastar-engine-produced-today

It's a really peculiar problem, and it's only hitting Jeeps despite the fact that this engine is in many models.

And yes, there really are MILLIONS of them on the road!

Well, technically, not until it hits at least two million.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Well, technically, not until it hits at least two million.

per Allpar.com the one millionth engine was built in January of this year. Perhaps they've built a few since then?

Millions, my man, millions.

No. Typically you will develop this problem before too many miles are on it.

But you probably have much better odds of getting in a serious accident while driving, as the total number of cases is extremely small.

I have a 2007 Honda Accord with 175,000 on it and was actually looking at a Dodge Challenger with the 3.6. I am 58 and never could afford one back then. Have seen a lot of issues with the heads and there is a person I meet a few days ago with one in the neighborhood and he has had issues with loud ticking from the engine. I was shocked a few days ago when a local dealer called me... Oxmore Chrysler Dodge here in louisville and told me that he has two real sharp Challengers with the 3.6. I told him that I was not interested in them anymore and he asked why. I mentioned that I have been reading of head issues with the engine and to my surprise he said I am aware of that...I was shocked an honest salesperson. He ended the call with if you are interested down the road...keep me in mind... I said that I will. I really like the car but the engine issues scare me. Like I said I have 175,000 on my 07 accord with the 4 banger with no issues at all with the car. I just dont want to get a car that will have issues down the road....

No offense, but eliminating a car because a few Jeeps have had an engine problem is a poor conclusion.

2 tenths of 1% of the Pentastars may have issues. Hello?

I'd take those odds any day. I bet it is nearly the same as any make you consider at the same volume numbers!

Been looking at some Dodge Challenger forum sites and it seems a lot of issues with the 3.6 with heads it occurs around 15 to 20,000 miles. I really like the car but dont want a bunch of problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back