Anti-theft vehicle GPS Tracking recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I got two dirtbikes stolen last night. It was definitely a wake up call and now I want to install a GPS tracking device into my vehicles for better peace of mind. Does anyone have any recommendations? There are so many on the market it makes your head spin. I don't want something where you have to constantly pay a monthly fee. Any other types of vehicle protection (certain brand car alarms) you recommend? Thanks.

Before you buy LowJack look closely at the details. For instance, there is a periodic fee to have the battery replaced, it is only guaranteed in urban areas, etc.

I know that Lowjack requires one of their installers to install the system for you. They won't even tell you where they've hidden the module.

Lojack won't work for you unless your stolen vehicle ends up in an area where Lojack equipped police cars are within a couple of miles of you stolen car and the cops have their units turned on and they know how to use them and if your problem gets a big enough priority for them to dedicate time to it.

Unless Lojack has changed their policies, they will sell you the system but won't tell you which cities it will actually work in.

Quote:
The limitations of Lojack

In regards to some of Lojack's limitations first you have to understand the technology. Lojack bases its tracking device off of WWII triangulation techniques, which produces a smaller footprint than cellular based tracking devices.

Lojack is also limited to roughly 26 markets nationally. This means that if you are traveling to locations outside of those markets you have no service. Lojack is also limited to whichever municipality within those markets that have their devices operational on the police vehicles. For example in the Houston market of the 3200 police cruisers in their fleet only 27 are equipped with Lojack transponders. In the Dallas market at any one time there are only 12-15 police cruisers on the street that have the ability to track with Lojack.

http://www.bikebone.com/GPS-tracking-&-recovery-system-review.htm

You could drive a stolen car through the loopholes in Lojack's warranty.
https://my.lojack.com/Documents/Extended-Recovery-Warranty.pdf

You can track your own GPS-enabled cellphone through a website. Just have to leave it on, hidden, and able to get a signal. Could add a 2nd cigar lighter to make it work.

IDK if a cheap prepaid cellphone will do this. Businesses use it to track their employees (couriers etc).

I was in Sam's Club yesterday... they had a $69 or $89 GPS tracker that let's you monitor the kids/cheating spouses driving and location.

The package said you can monitor the car's whereabouts thru google or yahoo maps.

Sorry, no other details but might be worth a look.

Thanks for the replies. I looked into lowjack but it sure is pricey; and now you guys have pointed out some of its flaws. I can't afford to pay an extra $40/month/vehicle for the life of the vehicles. I've seen those GPS trackers that oily boyd is talking about but I believe you have to take those out of the car and plug them into your computer in order to see where the car has been. I'll have to do some more searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back