Anti-drainback Valve Leakage

Does anyone else have an idea of how long it typically takes for oil to drain past the ADBV?
Too many factors involved. But I've put filters with a silicone ADBV base down in a funnel to catch any leakage and there was none after a week. Then put toothpicks are Q-tip in the base holes to open the ADBV and a whole bunch of oil in the filter drained out.

Too many factors involved. But I've put filters with a silicone ADBV base down in a funnel to catch any leakage and there was none after a week. Then put toothpicks are Q-tip in the base holes to open the ADBV and a whole bunch of oil in the filter drained out.
I like that experiment, and thank you for sharing the results. I will certainly look for a filter with a silicone ADBV for my next filter change.

I like that experiment, and thank you for sharing the results. I will certainly look for a filter with a silicone ADBV for my next filter change.
Here's an old thread of mine talking about the ADBV test.

… not convinced that cheap silicone is better than premium nitrile since we use that in some industrial applications that make an oil filter look like a snowflake … We don’t get to see their details - but once silicone went in the orange can - they had volume leverage for that ADBV … So, don‘t know what grades they use ?
Fram knows how to mate the resilient material with the surface it seals with - others can’t figure that out.
I have now used 9/12 AC Delco filters (bought a dozen) - and 100% of the nitrile valves have held - no noises etc …

A silicone ADBV doesn't get hard from oil heat like some nitrile ADBVs can. Also, the sealing factor is also dependent on the physical design of the ADBV and the base plate that it seals against.

A silicone ADBV doesn't get hard from oil heat like some nitrile ADBVs can. Also, the sealing factor is also dependent on the physical design of the ADBV and the base plate that it seals against.
What are all of the materials that ADBVs are made of? And would you mind ordering them from best to worst?

What are all of the materials that ADBVs are made of? And would you mind ordering them from best to worst?
They are either going to be nitrile or silicone. Within each material, the quality and performance depends on the nitrile or silicone formulation. There is probably more performance variation with nitrile ADBVs than with silicone.

There have been some filter cut & shows in this forum with reported hard/stiff ADBVs, but never a reported hard/stiff silicone ADBV, even with filters ran 20K+ miles. So if you don't want to wonder about the ADBV material, then just go for silicone.

If you're going short runs like 5K miles or less, then nitrile is probably fine, but I think recalling a few cheap off brand filters reported to have a stiff ADBV even with a short OCI.

Last edited:
Yeah … Same thing when I leave an XG10575 or PF63E in a plastic bowl for weeks … end up punching the dome end so it’s not gonna flood the cutter …

Is there a filter brand recognized as consistently having excellent ADV? I know Performance can vary by part number over a model range. But is there one Brand and model that’s know to have excellent ADV? I have a Mitsubishi where have had trouble finding a filter than does not drain back after sitting a few days. Horizontal mount.

Oil drains from the oil passageways through the bearings when the engine is not running

Back