Anti Drain back Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
On an older Engine that originally used a Horizontally mounted Oil Filter without an Anti Drain back Valve,the currently available filter now includes one, what are the advantages,and disadvantages to the older Engine of using the updated filter with the ADBV? This isn't a cost issue,just trying to understand how things work.

Last edited:
does the engine have a timing chain and or hydraulic lash adjusters? May prevent next day chain racket and grind and lifter collapse due to that pulse of air going through the main drill. ADBV can become aged and stiff and inhibit flow. I just remove a filter used for a few months with "new formula" synthetic oil and the adbv was permanenetly relaxed open. = Non functioning. Not a good sign for material and lubricant incompatibility..

Won't hurt to use a filter w/ anti-drain back valve. Will hold oil up to the outlet hole if mounted horizontal unlike one without.

No cons.

No harm adding an ADBV

The good ol' AC Delco PF35 that millions of Chevy V-8 owners used for years and years
was discontinued and replaced by the PF1218... with an ADBV. No problems.

My filter mounts base up, and when I take it off quite a lot more oil comes out. Oil that is held above the filter. It makes a mess actually and is annoying. That's my test.

Get a small pan or bowl. Hold it up to the vertical filter when unscrewing slowly. It removes the mess for me, using my non-adbv AC Delco PF 61, that's mounted upright / vertical.

Use the same small pan or bowl for each oil filter removal. It minimizes the leaking oil mess, most of-which comes from above the line above the filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back