another "what oil should i use?" post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is an 07 Ford Escape with the 3 liter Duratec, it has 138,000 km on it (85,00mi) and it runs like a top. Was given to me by my old man, it was always serviced at the dealer then a small indy shop that put nothing but bulk 5w20 in and WIX filters on it (oil changes every 5k)

I had the oil changed before I drove the truck halfway across Canada, and have since put on several thousand more kilometers. It was done at about 130k km and the oil still looks fairly amber at 138. This is crazy to me, most vehicles I've owned have blackened the oil by 5k km or earlier. I also take several short trips a day (I drive less than two minutes to work) but when it's fully warm and I can, I rev the bejesus out of it. The 3 liter really isn't afraid of RPM.

anyway, I want to run a full synthetic. I have a Walmart and Canadian Tire near me. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

5w20 is called for, the manual says this;

XO-5W20-QSP (US)
CXO-5W20–LSP12
(Canada) /
WSS-M2C930-A with API
Certification Mark

thanks!

Last edited:
pennzoil platinum would be good. I previously had an 01 escape the the 3.0 duratech. The smoothest quietest oil i found was mobil 1 0w 30. Mine was also spec'd for 5w 20. I tried oils from 5w 20 to 5w and 0w 30 and even rotella 5w40, no differences in fuel economy, none. The 0w 30 mobil seemed to be the quietest on startup. Had over 170k miles when i traded it in.

Last edited:
Frequent changes on bulk oil seems to have worked just fine... why change to synthetic?

Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w20/30 is a solid, reasonably priced oil, was at $ 14.99 per 5 liter jug at a local Walmart recently.

Or run whatever brand name synthetic is on sale... they are all pretty good in common applications like yours, but you may want to run a longer oil change interval with synthetic, like 8 to 10 000 km.

What OCI are you planning on going with? Are you going to stick to the 5k mile OCI, or are you going to switch it up?

As for oil, I'd suggest Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic. It's a quality oil, made to Ford's specs, and should be readily available.

If you're sure you want to go to a full synthetic, then I'd say to check out QSUD. It meets a whole bunch of certifications, and it's usually a couple bucks cheaper than PP or M1.

If you insist on synthetic, try Quaker State Ultimate Durability or Pennzoil Platinum.

But I also second Bud_One's suggestion of PYB and an MC oil filter.

If you live on i-95 in Georgia USA exit 87?I suggest going to the ta there .they sell Mobil delvac1 le5w30 .one of the limited few that passed muster with flying color all over the world .cj-4/sn ,acea 9 and pretty much all in between Asian standard .etc you won't find a lot of oil with this many place accepted .yep even Mercedes is on the list .check their website .list is too long to put on the bottle

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/594.aspx

While I have nothing against the oil..prices for it make it not worth your while. Unless you can get it for cheap.

I'd go with whatever is on sale. Personally I wouldnt hesitate to run PP, M1, or TGMO. You can go for M1 AFE 0w20. My car has run and idled the smoothest and quietest on it. Also would help with cold starts come winter. Filter, go with MC or a Fram TG or Ultra.

PS. PP is on sale this week at CT 33$ for 5L. They also have quart bottles of QSUD for 6$ and some change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
If you live on i-95 in Georgia USA exit 87?I suggest going to the ta there .they sell Mobil delvac1 le5w30 .one of the limited few that passed muster with flying color all over the world .cj-4/sn ,acea 9 and pretty much all in between Asian standard .etc you won't find a lot of oil with this many place accepted .yep even Mercedes is on the list .check their website .list is too long to put on the bottle

Apparently you missed the whole location parts on the top right of his posts that says Canada.

Anyways considering you are a Canadian I suggest buying a few Walmart rollback jugs in whatever flavour.
I used to be brand loyal to amsoil then I became loyal to money and it's tough to beat 25 dollar jugs of syn when on rollback or 14 dollar jugs of conventional.
Most of my stash is platinum(old bottles)and old ultra but I grabbed a couple jugs of M1 and pyb last week because they were cheap.
If your going to run a synthetic 15000km intervals are attainable,especially considering you've already found the oil to be clean at 8000kms which tells me the innards are likely spotless.
If your going to run a conventional then 8000kms should be an easy go as well.
If you drive a lot of city miles then shorten the interval somewhat.
I'm using either pp,Castrol syntec,PU or m1 at 15000km intervals in all my vehicles and the ones I service unless there is a reason to shorten the interval such as a known problem with deposits or the mileage is all city driven.
The 6.0 in my C3 now has redline in it only because I knew I'd be towing this summer and there was some deposit formations that I discovered after acquiring it. I'm running a 10000km run of this oil which wil bring me to middle of next month at which time I'm going to run a conventional til the weather turns then a trankenbrew since all I buy are 20 grades and euro spec 40 grades and mix either thicker or thinner based on ambient temps.
Anyways today's oils are all pretty good and you really can't go wrong using any oils that meet the same specs.
Spending more on oil is fine if your going to get more miles from it,but it's pointless using a synthetic and dumping it at 5000 miles when a cheaper conventional can achieve that mileage.
Remember,synthetics aren't "more slippery" or magic and won't make your engine last any longer than a conventional will when changed at proper intervals.
They do last longer in service and resist breakdown for longer which is the reason to extend the oil change interval.
If you hear or read someone say or post that more slippery nonsense the rest of their opinion will likely fall in line with more marketing mumbo jumbo,and not really worth the air or bandwidth required to express that absurdity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back