Another "what oil" for my Jeep 4.0 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Baldwin 7311-MPG that is going to replace my Napa 1459 in my GC. Same size, just with greater efficiency. Not that my Jeep has suffered under the 1459, but it needs a new filter, so I figured what the [censored]. Both are very oversized, though.
smile.gif

Last edited:
You made excellent choices. The 4.0 usually uses little to no oil so you should be good. Another quart of PYB down the road if need be won't kill you anyway.

Thanks everyone! Oil Changer, I'm in SoCal.

Well, I just did the oil change. Had to run to the store halfway through to buy a filter wrench since whoever installed it last put it on so [censored] tight. And I guess this is one of these annoying types of cars where the sideways-mounted filter leads to unavoidable oil spillage all over the place upon removal.

Gonna take the car Jeep out on a drive later and I'm sure it will run great.

So this reminds me, I know that when you first start a car with a new filter and oil, the motor runs dry for a few seconds while the filter fills up. Is there anything you can do to help it? I think I've read about people pre-filling the filter but I don't know if really makes any difference and presume that oil will spill out when you orientate it sideways for the install.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brandon04GT
And I guess this is one of these annoying types of cars where the sideways-mounted filter leads to unavoidable oil spillage all over the place upon removal.

Next time, loosen the filter just enough to break contact with the engine and the filter seal to where the oil drains out. Have a pan below to catch it. Take a plastic grocery bag and put it over the filter and keep loosening. The filter will fall into the bag and there will be less mess.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
And I guess this is one of these annoying types of cars where the sideways-mounted filter leads to unavoidable oil spillage all over the place upon removal.

Next time, loosen the filter just enough to break contact with the engine and the filter seal to where the oil drains out. Have a pan below to catch it. Take a plastic grocery bag and put it over the filter and keep loosening. The filter will fall into the bag and there will be less mess.
Lol I wish I thought of that on all the 4.0L oil changes I've done. I always drop it into the pan!

I cant take credit on this one. Read it over on Jeep Forum or Jeeps Unlimited and never did it any other way. Lol.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Good idea! I placed a flattened cardboard box underneath the car and put a shop towel under the filter as I unscrewed it, thinking only a bit of oil will spill and be absorbed by the paper. I ended up unscrewing the filter too fast and it fell to the ground splattering oil everywhere lol

Just stuff a bunch of shop towels under the filter while you unscrew it. Use the drain pan underneath just in case anything slips past, but that doesn't seem to happen.

I've used Motorcraft FL1A filters in my wrangler and in my previous cherokee. Slightly oversized filter. 5w-30 Havoline for oil. 4K oil changes.
Uses no oil. 187,000 miles on the original clutch so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back