Another reason to NOT buy a Fram !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When to get oil & filter for the MIL's new Mazda 5 at the China Mart tonight. Decided to check out the oil filters and to my surprise they had Motorcraft, due to the motor being used in many new Ford products.

Below are some photos from my make-shift picture studio. The quality of the Motorcraft was 2:1 that of the Fram !!! Also the Fram was made in Korea and the Motorcraft was USA made. The kicker is that the Fram was $5 more, not $5 total but more. $3.46(Motorcraft) $8.59(Fram)!!!

2605251417_4f8b431de8.jpg

2606081424_1be4d39f05.jpg

2606081714_763d70109d.jpg

Fram does look neater with more pleats. Maybe, just maybe - more pleats decrease pressure on the media negating the need for the frame and providing better filtration?
09.gif

I highly doubt that Fram will magically disintegrate and ruin your engine. There so much drama on this board about certain products, unfortunately this drama is not always backed up by solid facts.
As stated before - Fram may be overpriced for the quality that you are getting, but it is not THAT bad of a filter. For recommended 3k/5k miles it will do if it has to.

The Fram won't kill your engine, unless you use a PH6607 on a Hyundai Beta engine. Then it'll make it run like dog doo.

Use either, as they'll both filter the oil.

Heck, I'm using a Fram right now (given to me free, not going to argue lol), it's been 2500 miles and my car hasn't died. It just may get cut open and pictures posted after a healthy OCI.

Sorry guys, but I see a cost cut filter that has been "optimized" to just be merely adequate. Unless there is some synthetic media (highly doubtful) in the picture it is still AN OVERPRICED TURD! Anyone that understands failure mode analysis will figure out why the motorcraft filter has the components it does...it looks like a best buy to me as long as the beta is the same or better than the fram.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Will do steve20. I have one laying in the filter pile that I pulled off a friends car. This should be good entertainment...thanks!

Besides the obvious, "paper end caps etc" exactly what and how are you going to prove that this is a #rap filter? Do you have all the required test equipment in your garage? Or are you just going to look at it to determine it's status?

Here is the last Fram I cut open. You can see where the perforated tube does not seal against the carton, which is supposed to seal against the metal end tube.
a_fram-tube_1.jpg

Fram_Brazil.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Widman, but I must disagree on the centertube seal. As long as the ends of the pleats are sealed, there is nothing wrong with the featured filter. The centertube is there to prevent the media from collapsing inward and to act as a support for the element, to prevent the spring from crushing the element column. A filter without a centertube will function just fine, as long as the pressure differential across the media doesn't excede the radial crush pressure.

The tube can float if you want (where's it gonna go?). The seal is provided by the endcaps.

You can just pull the composite center tube out of an Ecore.
21.gif

Steve C. having knowledge of the intended use, the assembly practices and optimization of material selection certainly helps understand what the design intent was when you examine a distributed component. High quality products have extra interventions and features that naturally flow into the design and serve a purpose. Any company can produce an oil filter that just gets it done, but I prefer to buy products that are slightly over engineered and more robust- I'm also willing to pay the incremental price for this piece of mind too. I don't think I'll be needing more than a stereo microscope and some physical measurement tools to satisfy my personal curiosity as to the product's workmanship. People can buy and use whatever filter or oil they want to...choice is a good thing and there are times when using the low buck alternatives make plenty of sense too!

Good post. By all means, buy what you want. Often times the economical (but adequate) filter is the best choice. Never pay any more than you have to for the performance level that you demand.

Good post.

There are so many cars out there that have been going to Wal-Mart, and used a Fram and some cheap oil, and the engine keeps turning long after everything else has quit working.

I meant to have Pete C. in the title of the last post...oops! Sometimes I feel the learning disabilities creeping in on me after all the years of chewing on lead paint chips for the sweet quick pick me up!!!!

Originally Posted By: pickled
Sometimes I feel the learning disabilities creeping in on me after all the years of chewing on lead paint chips for the sweet quick pick me up!!!!

You too
54.gif
Strange sensation to ponder about losing one's mind
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

"Your mind plays tricks on you. You trick back!" -P**Wee Herman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back