Another Polar Vortex on its way

The pinko news up here, aka the CBC had to get their perpetual climate change digs in saying the Prairie's are in for "piercing cold" because somehow at the end of January, a couple nights of -25 to -27 before setting to our normal of -20c is somehow piercing and somehow not normal? The tuning on my sleds is too fat right now at the unseasonably high -6 so they should run great when the temp drops.
We've got some -30°C nights coming up, but it's been a mild winter to this point.

We're past the long-term-average temperature trough (-18.2 avg.) of January 15-18.

Nice to have the extra daylight as well.

Agreed on the CBC. Their obsession with tying every story in to "the narrative" wears thin.

Chicago had a couple days below zero coupled with super high winds but it came over the Christmas holiday when a lot of people were off anyway. Besides that, it's been mild and dry. I work in construction and I can't remember a winter when we've been this busy....

We got a few inches of snow yesterday and today, which brings our total to about six inches maybe. That's nothing. February starts next week and like Number 35 said, we're already past the usual low point.

It's been this way since the flood. I have experienced the variations for 57 years, and it will continue.
The difference that I have noticed is that the Media sensationalizes the weather--just like everything else.
So then whackos like Al and Greta come along and perpetuate this religion of Mother Earth and the MSM gladly jumps on board.
Plus it sells a lot more milk and bread...
And I think locally, a lot of TV news folk have come up the ranks from smaller stations to the big city and they are seeing actual "winter" for the first time in their lives.... And thus every winter storm becomes "the one we'll be telling our grandkids about".

Martha's Vineyard, it is a small island occupied by mostly the rich and shameless. Guess who lives there, you got it a lot of the climate change elite, according to them the east coast will be under water soon, swamped by the boiling ocean yet they buy beach front mansions. I don't get it. LOL
Yes, I heard recently that a former President had bought property there - you know, the one who said that the oceans would stop rising when he was elected.

And, a few years ago, didn't the Massachusetts defacto royal family veto some nearby offshore wind turbines because they (the turbines) would spoil the view?

Green for thee, but not for me ...

It used to be a cold front, now it’s polar vortex. 🙄
and the wind chill factor instead of the temperature. Some places it's getting hard to find the temperature now!
Wind Chill in the winter, Feels Like in the summer ... they are going to need some new words as shock factor will wear off sooner or later.

Last edited:
65 and partly sunny? ⛅
Nope. 36 F tonight. Put on an extra thick T shirt.

6BCBA597-ACE3-43D0-9EE1-E199DF0A6EC5.jpeg

Yes, I heard recently that a former President had bought property there - you know, the one who said that the oceans would stop rising when he was elected.

And, a few years ago, didn't the Massachusetts defacto royal family veto some nearby offshore wind turbines because they (the turbines) would spoil the view?

Green for thee, but not for me ...
Yes, that and so many other things. Put it this way, this is no place for an elephant.

Polar Vortex is a silly name, back in day we called it cold snap
And back in the “Lawrence Welk” days a cold snap was noticeable only when the freezing weather made your fingers cold. A polar vortex is a weather system detected at very high altitudes by some pretty sophisticated equipment including satellites. They are predictable days ahead and usually are news items first in Canada and after a few days when people’s fingers get cold it becomes a news item further south. ;)

EE746C7A-E1AC-4F6E-B23F-57132DC3193F.png

Last edited:
We’ll see if the weatherman is any good. Right now the air temp is about 26 F just north of the US border where I am ( Cranbrook). The prediction is for the temp to drop by 30 degrees F to -4 F by tomorrow morning and then spread south. :( They might be wrong.

Here is the current USA temperature map.

5FAB41E3-7C47-42B2-B68C-7B9BA485AE97.jpeg

Last edited:
We’ll see if the weatherman is any good. Right now the air temp is about 26 F just north of the US border where I am ( Cranbrook). The prediction is for the temp to drop by 30 degrees F to -4 F by tomorrow morning and then spread south. :( They might be wrong.

Here is the current USA temperature map.

View attachment 137426

I can easily handle 20’sF weather

Back