Another Pirate attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess if you're paying for a very expensive floating force, whether it's doing anything or not, you might as well have them blowing up a few bad guys for a few $$$ more.

There was a time when scum like this had respect for the USA but they don't anymore. They realize most Americans don't have the stomach for 'casualties' (meaning dead pirates).

Yeah, the US Navy, armed with a destroyer, has to ask for FBI negotiators to help resolve this situation. The pirates have got be laughing their posteriors off. More direct action is needed.

This is all due to economics. There's no political correctness involved. We didn't see these things in the past since we didn't care. We had a very large standing military and were not shy to use it if necessary. Now we're forced to manage resources and the critters, who were always present and either employed by us or the Soviets or inconsequential/marginal, are now capable of scrounging grub.

There's a funny thing about weapons sales. While you're developing the absolute best that you can, your old stuff gets cheaper and is just as lethal and effective in a one sided fight.

Pull up in a destroyer and simply state, "We can do this the easy way, or the hard way." No further negotiations are needed.

The fact that we are involving a police agency in international, maritime affairs shows why the pirates dare mess with a US flagged ship.

How about this.

We give the North Korean a job to do if they need food and are willing to do the dirty work. After all what does a poor 3rd world that are threatening to nuke its neighbor going to be worried about a few human right violations?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Pull up in a destroyer and simply state, "We can do this the easy way, or the hard way." No further negotiations are needed.

The fact that we are involving a police agency in international, maritime affairs shows why the pirates dare mess with a US flagged ship.

The negotiator is just a cover to buy the Navy Seal some time.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Tempest

The negotiator is just a cover to buy the Navy Seal some time.

I can only hope.

It's all due to economics. It may be cheaper to buy them off. It's the same with Kim. It's cheaper to buy him off than risk instability in the region. If it was cheaper to tolerate the instability ..we'd let him stifle himself.

I don't see anyone doing anything because it is "the right thing to do". If the losses get too high on the high seas, and everyone wants to pitch in on the costs, I'm sure that a flotilla will be present to blow the critters out of the water whenever they poke their little heads out. They'll adapt and we (or whomever) will adapt and you'll spend a bunch of money in the process.

You can cope with this in other manners. I'm sure that it's not too hard to figure out where these people operate out of. Just randomly take out a nest or two, maybe every time they choose a US flagged ship as a target. Reprisals may work in an environment of "organized anarchy".

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Steven Seagal -- enough said:)

who's he? i vote for chuck norris.

Originally Posted By: crinkles

The US Navy should take Chuck Norris to the pirates on a US Navy boat, and let him calmly speak threats to the pirates over a bullhorn. The pirates would surely either surrender or die of fear.

Heck, send in King (H)Arn-(h)old. He cood t-(h)ake (h)on der whole groop ..(snorting "ack").

I'm sure there's at least one sub in the area. A hundred thousand cft of air released under the lifeboat would shake things up. Hopefully the US captain knows how to swim.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne

The US Navy should take Chuck Norris to the pirates on a US Navy boat, and let him calmly speak threats to the pirates over a bullhorn. The pirates would surely either surrender or die of fear.

Unfortunately this would also kill all of the area's marine life as well.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world...ia_pirates.html
Quote:
"Our special operations people have been itching to clean them up. So far, no one has let them," Oakley told the Daily News.

The veteran diplomat, who also was ambassador to Pakistan, said teams of Army Delta Force or Navy SEALs "could take care of the pirates in 72 hours" if given the order to strike.

"They have plans on the table but are waiting for the green light," Oakley said.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
kkreit01 said:

Quote:
Johnathon Livingston's brother.

Unfortunately this would also kill all of the area's marine life as well.

Good point, dying of nausea is a terrible way to go.

Quote:
Good point, dying of nausea is a terrible way to go.

Yeah. It shouldn't happen to a dog fish....
frown.gif

There is nothing you need to do if you don't care whether the hostage die or not. All you need to do is just sink the lifeboat with a couple rounds.

What about introducing a slow leak (Navy Seal with an underwater drill), and see what they are going to do when they are all hanging onto a life saver?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
What about introducing a slow leak (Navy Seal with an underwater drill), and see what they are going to do when they are all hanging onto a life saver?

Nice plan, but a typical modern lifeboat is unsinkable, because the space between the double-skinned hull is filled with P/U foam, which gives enough buoyancy, even if the interior of the vessel gets flooded. If a water-filled ballast or righting tank gets punctured, it won't matter either. The boat would of course be disabled if damaged badly enough, and eventually the people on it will run out of water and food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back