Another Kirkland vs. Chevron Supreme thread

Hi everyone.
I’ve been using the Kirkland Signature 5w30 synthetic oil on my Corolla (1zz-fe) and Pathfinder (vq40) for the past couple of years. The corolla runs 5.5k-6k miles OCI with a Bosch oil filter and the pathfinder runs 4.5-5k miles OCI using Quaker State oil filter that I picked up on clearance from Menards.

I picked up 5 containers of the 5 qt Chevron Supreme synthetic blend 5w30 as part of the $7.99 deal.

Question for the gurus here: can I continue with the above mentioned OCI and filters for both vehicles using the Chevron Supreme oil? Or should I reduce OCIs to 5k on the Corolla and the 4K on the Pathfinder?

Or should I cancel my Walmart order and just stick to Kirkland Synthetic oil?

TIA!

Last edited:
The calcium+magnesium in SP-rated CS is a little lackluster at a combined 1500ppm, but it'll do just fine for a daily driver with your change intervals where the TBN doesn't need to be as much of a consideration.

Did oil analyses get you to the 5.5-6K and 4.5-5K OCIs?

Heavy duty use in the Pathfinder calls for 3,750 mile OCIs, no?

I'd guess there isn't a dime's worth of difference in any combination of the materials you mentioned.

What are the ratings on the oil ? Same ratings , same oil. Chevron puts out a great product.

Did oil analyses get you to the 5.5-6K and 4.5-5K OCIs?

Heavy duty use in the Pathfinder calls for 3,750 mile OCIs, no?

I'd guess there isn't a dime's worth of difference in any combination of the materials you mentioned.
The OCIs are purely based on color/smell. You’re absolutely correct, the severe duty OCI is 3,750 miles and the regular interval is 7.5k miles.
It doesn’t get used around town much, just mostly freeway driving with a very occasional tow once every 6 months. The corolla gets some around town driving, but again is mostly freeway driving.
Is the Kirkland synthetic on the lower end of synthetic oils and the Chevron is on the upper end of the blends?

What are the ratings on the oil ? Same ratings , same oil. Chevron puts out a great product.
Same ratings. API SN Plus on the Kirkland and the Walmart website showed API SP. Kirkland is Dexos approved but the Chevron doesn’t seem to be. Both are 5w30 oils.

The OCIs are purely based on color/smell. You’re absolutely correct, the severe duty OCI is 3,750 miles and the regular interval is 7.5k miles.
It doesn’t get used around town much, just mostly freeway driving with a very occasional tow once every 6 months. The corolla gets some around town driving, but again is mostly freeway driving.
Is the Kirkland synthetic on the lower end of synthetic oils and the Chevron is on the upper end of the blends?

Color/smell isn't going to tell you much. A proper used oil analysis will give you objective data on how the oil you use interacts with your engine.

Kirkland Signature is identical to Supertech Full Synthetic. It's surprisingly good, especially for the value.

I rank it right in with other brand name, standard interval full synthetics. It might not be up to the task of Amsoil or something like Mobil 1 Extended Performance, but it holds its weight against Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Full Synthetic, Castrol Magnatec, etc.

With most other conventionals moving to synthetic blends, it's hard to say exactly where Chevron Supreme stacks in the mix.

Chevron is more than likely a blend with the 5w30 but still should be able to handle your OC regiment. I'd go with the Kirkland of these two but I need/like the cold weather properties of a synthetic.

Chevron is more than likely a blend with the 5w30 but still should be able to handle your OC regiment. I'd go with the Kirkland of these two but I need/like the cold weather properties of a synthetic.
Aren't the "cold weather properties" represented by the winter rating, which is the same for all these oils?

At 7.5 to 10k mile oci, Kirkland/ST Syn is most likely a superior oil. At 5 to 6k miles, it won't make a difference. Any properly rated motor oil should be stellar to 5-6 if the certifications/approvals are met. Chevron is a trusted brand, no doubt.

Hi everyone.
I’ve been using the Kirkland Signature 5w30 synthetic oil on my Corolla (1zz-fe) and Pathfinder (vq40) for the past couple of years. The corolla runs 5.5k-6k miles OCI with a Bosch oil filter and the pathfinder runs 4.5-5k miles OCI using Quaker State oil filter that I picked up on clearance from Menards.

I picked up 5 containers of the 5 qt Chevron Supreme synthetic blend 5w30 as part of the $7.99 deal.

Question for the gurus here: can I continue with the above mentioned OCI and filters for both vehicles using the Chevron Supreme oil? Or should I reduce OCIs to 5k on the Corolla and the 4K on the Pathfinder?

Or should I cancel my Walmart order and just stick to Kirkland Synthetic oil?

TIA!
Chevron Supreme will work just fine at the service intervals and typical usage for your vehicles. It may not be full synthetic but it is very good oil and it meets the specs for your vehicles. So I say keep the Walmart order, $7.99 for 5 quarts of Chevron Supreme is a great deal. Especially when Kirkland synthetic is twice the price.

What does the OM recommend for the OCI's on your 2 vehicles?
Neither cars have a real OM unfortunately, The Corolla has a 5000 miles light that’s just odometer based. The Pathfinder allowed me to switch the intervals but again, it’s just miles based on point of reset.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I’ll keep the order and stick to my existing OCIs.
I live in SE MI - so there aren’t too many extreme weather days during a normal year.

After an absence, CS 5W-30 available in 5-Qt jugs again at Wally World on-line.

1635564660288.png

Nice.

Back