Another J20C Fluid Thread, What's Good At WalMArt

Looking for a J20C fluid for a YM336D that is available locally, which realistically for me means Walmart unless I want to drive. I am going to list the brands they sell and would like input as to what if any brands are good to go.

WalMart Transmission Hydraulic Fluid

In no particular order:
Starfire Premium
SuperTech
Lucas Universal
Mobil Delvac 424
Schaeffer Super simplex
Valvoline VV710
Lube King (Warren?)
JD Hy-Gard
Warren

Guessing that Warren is lower end, SuperTech might be made by Warren. Strarfire sounds sketchy. The products from Mobil, JD, Valvoline and Shaeffer's are likely high quality with a good additive package. Lucas could be good or bad.

I appreciate any input on these brands. I am nor worried about the price, but if I can save a few bucks and get quality that i all the better.

I use Schaeffer almost exclusively but i stick with Hygard on the tractors. I run almost all JD equipment and don’t see the benefit to a cheaper fluid. I helped rebuild a JD 6200 transmission that had delaminated friction plates from improper fluid twice. Took two failures for the owner to switch to Hygard with no issues since.

Presuming this is what you have ...

That's an old tractor, made from 1980-91.
- it's not under warranty by any means
- it was made at a time when fluids back then were not nearly as good as today's, so anything current which meets the specs will be more than sufficient
- nothing from Yanmar is finicky in regard to fluids from that era
- it's not HST; it's a ol' powershift trans

Get the least expensive product from your list that's easy to procure. I've used house brand UTHFs from Rural Kind and TSC for decades and never had a problem. Given my experiences with ST fluids, they do very well also.

My point is that you're overthinking this; from the list you made, any of them will be more than sufficient. Get the easy/inexpensive option and save the worrying for something else in life.

Call me silly but an oil from the majors Shell, Mobil, Chevron etc is always a good bet . John Deere doesn't make their oil.

Back