Another history tidbit - George Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since obbop is bringing up history, I'll add an event that people should know about...the "Newburgh Conspiracy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newburgh_conspiracy

George Washington saved the country (again) simply by putting on his glasses.

It's sad, I wonder where the George Washingtons are today. Of course why should we expect great men (& women) to come forward when we so easily forget the ones we've had.

Not trying to get too political, but when I went to grad school at a major state-supported university I was horrified to see that there were classes scheduled on Presidents' Day, but no classes on MLK. I wrote to the Dean to reconsider remembering such slackers as Washington and Lincoln...got a ---- form letter in return. I even suggested a compromise of celebrating Pres Day one year and MLK the next (if having both was too many days off). Crickets.

Now this one might be a bit hard for the teachers to understand...... seriously would be a great You Tube moment to watch High School history teachers answer: "What was the Newburgh Conspiracy?"

My favorite example is Jefferson's "Arab encounter" in Tripoli. I posted on this last year or so. Same vein...how many USA people know much of anything about USA history? This example (as do all historical events) had direct implications on today's events.

If you look up the criminal/misdemeanor/traffic violations for Congress it looks like they emptied out a jail and herded them right into the Senate and House buildings.
frown.gif

Its hard for me to understand how they can all (almost) embrace the truly low life culture that permeates Washington. How can this Country continue to survive? Well there is a difference between "survive" and "prosper."

I think somehow perversion of power seeps into all aspects of life. You can't just be a "little bit" crooked. Or just like it up the --- and then say you are against that sort of thing. Or I'm only crooked when I'm in Wasington, but when I'm home I'm clean. It doesn't work that way.

As in the bathroom pervs of old (don't forget about the male on male perversion (1980's) in the Capitol Bldg head - Reps on male pages) all the way to this lastest ---- - these guys making some of the biggest decisions of our nation think they can compartmentilize their sins, their scumminess. To the point of throwing EVERYTHING in the fire for power.

Carry on.

Quote:

It's sad, I wonder where the George Washingtons are today

Most of our brightest are in the private sector and universities I'd imagine.

George Washington, now we have George W Bush.
crackmeup.gif
One extreme to the next....

c'mon buster. You can do better than that. It really has nothing to do with R & D. Stupidity is universal. No one has the corner market on that.

Also, I doubt many in Washington's class are in the universities.

Many good people don't take certain jobs because of the politics. If you are to be appointed to say the supreme court there are politicians that will say anything to shoot you down. Your life becomes a dart board.

George Washington's birth place home on Cherry street was torn down to build the Brooklyn Bridge, in 1871.

Buster didn't make a partisan response, per se. You chose to interpret it that way. He could just as easily, and perhaps with more validity, framed it as how standards of excellence, or at least competence, have degraded over time. And if he had not done so explicity, you could have done so in your interpretation.

We've always been corrupt and morally bankrupt. It's just that we could afford comforts for us to ignore it for a very long time. We had, for a good bit, facades of moral standards. Now our dirty laundry is painfully apparent and all the delusions of morality and propriety removed. No one believes the rhetoric we hear ...we all see the "bad" and "lie" in the dialog ..and we merely form our response to it on a basis of how we view the effects. If the corruption appears to be of benefit to you, you pretend to believe it ..at least rhetorically. If you perceive the corruption to be harmful, you don't. You may switch hit even.

The dark side is no longer insidious.

Quote:

Now this one might be a bit hard for the teachers to understand...... seriously would be a great You Tube moment to watch High School history teachers answer: "What was the Newburgh Conspiracy?"

My favorite example is Jefferson's "Arab encounter" in Tripoli. I posted on this last year or so. Same vein...how many USA people know much of anything about USA history? This example (as do all historical events) had direct implications on today's events.

But to be fair, how important is it to the average working man or woman to be able to know hundreds, if not thousands,of bits of historical trivia and be able to recall them instantly. Yes it's fun to google these fascinating meetings that occurred 200 years ago but how important is it to the average person working 40+ plus hours a week to support kids, grandkids, aging parents etc. and be expected to do all the other things ( little league practise, soccer practise, paying the bills on time,getting the grass cut) that make up real day to day life for most people, to be able to discuss the Newburgh Conspiracy? Just asking...

One reason would be that people forget what made America great - it wasn't the $29 DVD players that they are so busy trying to buy. We stand to lose that great America if we don't remember. It usually isn't one huge event that causes the fall, but many over time (think frog in a pan of water).

Our forefathers knew man is corrupt. That is why we are a nation of laws. The problems really began with special treatment of people with money, people of color, people here illegally…….

That said - some argument can be made for only landowners being allowed to vote.

Quote:

One reason would be that people forget what made America great - it wasn't the $29 DVD players that they are so busy trying to buy. We stand to lose that great America if we don't remember. It usually isn't one huge event that causes the fall, but many over time (think frog in a pan of water).

I agree with that to a degree, but I think it's unfair to expect people to remember the thousands of relatively obscure events that have occurred in the history of this country and they learned about 20-80 years ago in school. It doesn't make them less valuable because they can't recall a story about the day George Washington put on his glasses and made a speech.

But when speaking with someone that doesn't believe what you say (read "by the people, for the people") you must have examples of past performance proving said belief. Examples like this are great when speaking to a few members of my family. Although, sadly enough, most conversation is about the aforementioned $29 DVD player, etc. i.e. fluff.

The $29 DVD player more accuratley reflects what's important to the average (whatever that is) person as opposed to being able to discuss obscure historical events. Working, taking care of and enjoying time with the family, hobbies, etc are what life is about. Not poring over history books, unless that brings you happiness.

It may not be helpful information in daily life, but any knowledge a perso has is a great thing, just for the sake of having it.
I personally read many, many books on many subjects from history to biology to geology to pretty much anything, and while none of the things I learn and remember are likely to make me any money--which seems to be the standard for whether something is deemed worthwhile--I'm glad to have what I learn tucked away in my mind someplace.
It's nice to run across a person who cna and will carry on a conversation about something other that the weather or politics or what they bought yesterday.

Mark I agree that knowledge is a good thing, obviously. But what is valuable to one person may be useless to another. I love BBQ and love to discuss it with anyone that will do so. Some people would rather get poked in the eye with a sharp stick than talk about cooking meat over a fire. I just think sometimes there is too much emphasis placed on knowing the history of the country and it's importance in the day to day grind most people face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back