Another gas can rage thread... recommend something please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have taken a picture my safety poly can was ROUND due to expansion (and no venting) when I took it out from under the porch last Spring to mow the lawn. Guaranteed on a 90 deg day it would have burst and burnt the house down.

High vapour pressure "winter gas" ready to be used in the mower spring. BOOOM!

IDIOCY!

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
You can also buy a VP Racing fuel canister for $32 on Amazon, I've seen those around.

Just got another VP Racing can at a convenience store for $29 - and they sold E0 x 92 gasoline so it left there full to the top ... !

I have an old Eagle 5 gallon steel can that goes unused because I can't find a spout for it. The plastic EZ pour spout won't work because of the steel threads being different. I even emailed Eagle and they said they can't legally even make the spouts for the old steel cans. The EZ pour spouts work well on my poly cans.

There is no such thing as a gas can with a spout that doesn't leak, which is why I never use the spout on mine...I just remove the spout and use a funnel and pour directly from the container...

Originally Posted by diyjake
Justrite and Eagle, aren't they pretty much the same thing?

Eagle has the lifting handle and cap lifter separate. On the Justrite they are the same. I splashed myself with gas just yesterday when I lifted a Justrite can over the side of my boat and the cap opened just a little. I doubt it would ever be an isssue if you weren't lifting above your waist.

As my plastic cans die I am replacing them with Eagle or Justrite. Even if the spouts work OK the cans swell and shrink so badly they flex themselves apart at the creases. Metal cans last a lifetime if you treat them even halfway decently.

You can also buy a VP Racing fuel canister for $32 on Amazon, I've seen those around.

Are you referring to these? VP link

"NOTE: This is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB and other official agencies. For Racing Fuel only, such as Nitromethane or Methanol, used in sanctioned motorsports. Not for fuel used on highways. Also for storage and transport of feed, water, attractants, fluids and other outdoor products."

So does this mean it's no bueno for gasoline, or is that their get-out-of-jail-free card
wink.gif
for the gubbamint?
I'm assuming the latter.

Originally Posted by grampi
There is no such thing as a gas can with a spout that doesn't leak, which is why I never use the spout on mine...I just remove the spout and use a funnel and pour directly from the container...
...hmm maybe. I do the same on this new can. Take the garbage spout completely off and pour, but even then it's impossible not to spill any, even with a large funnel. It just runs down the mouth and all over the can. No, I'm not a clumsy millenial...

Originally Posted by grampi

I'd mostly agree with this! On the farm, we had a lot of jerry cans. There were maybe one or two that wouldn't be spilling gas while pouring, and even then, only if everything was just so. Many times we'd just use it with the lid off or on, and just hope for the best. Instead of worrying how good the spout was, I'd worry more about where I was pouring, how I was standing, and how I was holding the container.

What really peeves me are the gas cans that don't seal properly when closed. I'm used to troublesome pouring.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Justrite and Eagle, aren't they pretty much the same thing?

Just rite is made in China.

Eagle is made in the USA.

No brainer which to choose.

Well, I decided to go physically look at all of the items mentioned here. The Justrite was tempting, but the foldable funnel seemed way too cheap and the can itself seemed a bit clumsy to handle, therefore was ruled out. I almost pulled the trigger on a No-Spill, and even though there was a clear difference, it reminded me way too much of what I hate. So personal bias ruled it out (although I may look their way if I need another in the future). So then it was down to the Sure Can or the Eagle. The Sure Can really looked clever, and was well thought out. The Eagle was all metal (except the handle, but if it ever breaks, I can replace it with a metal handle), and the funnel seemed like a decent design. The Sure Can seemed like the spout would leak over time, especially being bent at different angles (especially the awkward twist to lock it into the upright storage position), but seemed much easier to fill. The Eagle seemed difficult to fill, and unfortunately had a non-removable screen/flame arrester, but was cheaper.

The Eagle emerged victorious.

And wait, there was a second winner. The EZ-Pour kit came home with me too.

The price I paid for each was stellar also. My local Atwoods had the EZ-Pour spouts marked for $7.99, and that's what they rang up for. They strangely automatically applied a 10% discount (on the receipt), and it rang up for $6.99. Even says "10% purchase $0.70 discount" on the receipt. Not sure how that math works, but works for me! And the Eagle can was on sale at Tractor Supply for 15% off of $39.99, so I went to Lowe's and had them price match so i could burn out my gift card. So grand total for both was under $40 (tax exempt). Happy camper here.

My only gripe is with the flame arrester on the Eagle. I wish it was removable so that if junk gets in there, I can remove it to clean it. Because whatever junk it catches while pouring into the can will exit when pouring out of the can.

Thanks for all the input. Hopefully no more spilled gas is in my future...

I went to Tractor Supply and they had water and fuel jugs made buy the same manufacturer. The water jug had a simple spout. I switched the spouts and checked out. Works much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tony1679

Are you referring to these? VP link

"NOTE: This is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB and other official agencies. For Racing Fuel only, such as Nitromethane or Methanol, used in sanctioned motorsports. Not for fuel used on highways. Also for storage and transport of feed, water, attractants, fluids and other outdoor products."

So does this mean it's no bueno for gasoline, or is that their get-out-of-jail-free card
wink.gif
for the gubbamint?
I'm assuming the latter.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. I think its their liability clause. Without looking up what is a portable fuel container by the ASTM, EPA, and CARB, I'd say it revolves around not being ventless. I've seen these at NAPA and another poster said he picked one up at a convenience store. How many people are buying these containers for their funny car at a c-store?

Yep … and the Farm and Ranch stores have VP in multiple colors … I don't haul them around but to go a few blocks to fill now and again … But instead of fumbling with a 38 lb container trying to manage a flimsy plastic tip and jammed device … ? The big mouth jug pours and I can watch and adjust the flow … Rarely use the hose … but being flexible and clear … it's good too …

I have a couple of cans with EZ-Pour spout, and also of course move them around between cans(since I have fewer of them than I do cans).

I bought mine from Rural King. I don't know if they're made in multiple sizes, but the ones I have I think specified "leaded gas only" on the package or something to that affect. In any case, they're larger than a typical unleaded filler-they fit my MG and all my lawn equipment fine, but don't fit directly in a "modern" car. The funnel for the "capless" filler that's on my MKZ does at least allow me to put one in and pour. Of course, the leaded thing is actually somewhat advantageous for me since I often have one or two cans kicking around 100LL in them
smile.gif

I do often screw the "safety nozzles" back on cans when I'm just storing, as they allow venting when needed but not uncontrolled like flipping open the snap vent that also comes with the EZ-pour spout(and use to be on all gas cans).

Absent that, though, I've done a funnel in the tank with no spout on the can plenty of times also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back