Another gas can rage thread... recommend something please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you've probably heard it all before, but seriously, why are 'smart' gas cans so ironically non-environmentally friendly now, considering the very reason they exist is supposed to be the opposite? They are supposed to NOT spill or vent fumes. Yet when I use it, I vent/spill literally 1,000x more fuel than with my old school spout
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
(I still have one normal spout, and I treasure it more than my oil stash). That's regardless of how painstakingly careful I am when I pour it. I end up with my hands soaked, my clothes smelling like gas, my entire garage reeks of gas, and the can itself is covered in it, because the spout leaks like crazy (I even use several shop towels to hold it because I know it will spill everywhere). These idiot politicians should be forced to use this garbage before pushing paper to force it upon us. Perhaps a lawn company that mows a politician's lawn should do as I have done and accidentally create a spark, and blow/burn said politician's house to bits & blame the gas can. Seriously, these are third-world problems.

Rant over, before it gets considered political.

Where can I get my hands on a QUALITY spout that will NOT leak? I'll take anything that ACTUALLY works, spout only, spout and screw cap duo, spout/cap/can combo... ANYTHING. And after this last rage-inducing experience, I could care less about cost. It's worth it.

Also, I have a spare spout that has a bad screw-on cap (where it screws onto the gas can itself, I let someone borrow it and they overtightened the cap). What is a good one to buy (so that even if I can't buy old school spouts, at least I can utilize my two existing ones)?

Huge thanks in advance! If I can't find what I'm after, I will end my relationship with this can the same way it began... in the grassy area next to the Walmart gas station. Yep, someone used it once and threw it in a fit of rage. I went and grabbed it once they positively left. Now I see why they hated it...

Would need a picture to know exactly what kind of gas can you have, but there's plenty of how-to's on the internets to modify your "smart" gas can to be more like an older gas can so it's then actually good at pouring gas.

you can get the aftermarket spout and vent, or buy a good can such as a "no spill" can

These cheapie spouts suck,
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...cement-spout/2617473/p-1444421229606.htm

get something better--menards carries this one too but couldnt find it on their site.
https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Pour-Hi-F...222&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-8-catcorr

https://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-145...mp;psc=1&refRID=4FR8YN7GF6XVWDGWHESD

or "surecan"
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SureCan-5-Gallon-Plastic-Gas-Can/1000033473

Last edited:
The No-Spill cans are really the way to go for gas cans. Unless you want to spend the $$$ for an Eagle or Justrite.

Have a garden shed on the corner of my property and keep all gas cans there to be away from assets (other than mowers and OPE) - in fact, there is no electric power there.
Use the VP Racing cans and a funnel - (large and good sealing cap, lets you see the fuel as you pour) ...
Hang my funnels in a large plastic bag to keep them cleaner and have paper towels on the wall ...
Also keep a kitchen measuring pitcher there for small stuff (the VP cans can pour really fast) ...
My emergency spill kit is a small box of puppy pads ... LoL ...
Will never go back to the stupid cans/spouts ...

What sort of containers are you being forced to use ? Red plastic with a yellow spout ? Why are they not working ?

Originally Posted by nthach
The No-Spill cans are really the way to go for gas cans.

That's true, but they still need a vent kit installed to keep them from expanding when they're hot and squishing in when they cool down; the plastic can't handle the stress.

Years ago I had some of those 5 gallon containers, but for diesel fuel. Not exactly a problem fuel... anyhow the stupid ventless design lasted all of five minutes: I took a drywall screw and ran it where you'd expect a proper air vent. That wasn't large enough so I then got a 3/8's lag of some sort and ran that in. That made a large enough air hole that diesel would come out at a good clip. I would just remove the screw when filling, and when emptying, and would loosely thread back in when in storage.

Originally Posted by Silk
What sort of containers are you being forced to use ? Red plastic with a yellow spout ? Why are they not working ?

Our government decided to save is from ourselves and designed some terribly designed gas cans. They are a complete pain in the rump. You spill more gas with today's gas cans than we ever did with the old school ones. I'll go find a video for you.

https://youtu.be/K0kc8Hbfo1w

Last edited:
I did not like how the older plastic gas cans would swell up in the Summer.
I did not like the newer government approved cans would pour.

I bought this, it's easy to pour and self-vents when needed.
I have an attached garage and keep it near the garage door for safety.
YES, it was expensive, but it's also safety approved (and it looks cool).
[Linked Image]

I use the Justrite's posted by MasterSolenoid. It's painful, but buy once - cry once really applies here. They are safe, they work, and they will last forever. The one above is $67 at Zoro and if you wait, you can usually get another 10 -15% off during a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back