Anonymous Payment Method

For whatever reason, some sellers on Craigslist, etc.will. not accept cash. I use Zelle or PayPal in those cases, but sometimes I want to be an anonymous (in name only) buyer. Both those methods show my name. Is there any way around this? Venmo is not good for me.

I am not set for that and I doubt if most sellers are either. I like to buy old but useful woodworking tools. Those are old school buyers and sellers.

Old school sellers don't accept cash? Too much counterfeit money being used?

Old school sellers don't accept cash? Too much counterfeit money being used?
I think it's more about security and ease of use. Posts instantly to their bank and no service fees. At least for Zelle and PayPal.

The original question remains.

Last edited:
paypal has fees.. or if you send as gift you can take it back..

I have yet to find anyone who wouldnt take cash.

Anything you use is going to give the receiver some kind of info. Anonymity doesn't exist.

If someone refuses cash from me, they get nothing. That reeks of 'something's up'.

When I buy or sell something (used), it's cash only, either way except for something over $20k or so. I bought 3 used vehicles last year, two were under $20k, handed the seller cash in an envelope and told them to count it while I watched. The third was a significant amount, the seller was good with a certified check from my credit union.

I sold two vehicles last year, both less than $10k and I told the buyers upfront that they needed to bring cash. There was not a problem.

I understand woodworking tools are a little less rampant than cars, but like you said, these are old school folks. You need to learn how to read people, learn how to figure out if they are shady or not and whether you want to do business with them. I bought a vehicle last Saturday, sight unseen but in talking to him on the phone, text messages and talking with the shop he said he had it serviced at, I was put at ease fairly early on. I brought cash and had no problem with it. We met at a new car dealer where he was buying a new $65k vehicle... The auto shop where he had the vehicle serviced told me "these are good people. I'd buy a car from him before anyone in my family."

Anyway, most people won't even speak to each other on the street, it's a shame. Learn how to deal with people. I'm not buying anything from anyone I don't like or think is shady. If they can't carry on a reasonable, intelligent conversation about something they want to sell to me, I don't want it.... it speaks volumes about how they cared for it while they had it.

What do you mean "taxed"?
Per IRS, starting 2022 all third-party money transfer agencies will tax any transactions over $600. Many of those agencies have "friends & family" exceptions, so large transactions aren't taxed. But Zelle in particular doesn't have that option, so any transaction over $600 is automatically assumed to be an income.

Per IRS, starting 2022 all third-party money transfer agencies will tax any transactions over $600. Many of those agencies have "friends & family" exceptions, so large transactions aren't taxed. But Zelle in particular doesn't have that option, so any transaction over $600 is automatically assumed to be an income.
Yes they will REPORT them, so they MAY BE taxable. But they are not TAXING the transactions.

There is even a thread or two about that here on BITOG.

My commentary, if you are doing such transactions, you may as well operate as a small business and see the benefits.

Back