Annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or so I thought was the end of it. NOT.

I just got off the phone with VISA. Turns out VISA approved the transaction on Wednesday and the sale is pending, but Dbuys somehow, didn't receive the $$$. So they canceled my order, yet I'm still out $268. ???

Going to call those donkeys tomorrow and figure out the story and cancel it for good.

And I'll pay $!0 more in the end and order it from someone more reputable. Lesson learned...

B+H is reliable. Adorama is also pretty good. Both shops are in NYC. Abe's of Maine is also decent.

Quote:

I just got off the phone with VISA. Turns out VISA approved the transaction on Wednesday and the sale is pending, but Dbuys somehow, didn't receive the $$$. So they canceled my order, yet I'm still out $268. ???

Youre likely not out $268. That money, or more specifically, that dredit n your account, likely got put to the side as 'unavailable', when the purchase was pending, and approval was being watied for.

Regardless of reason of cancelation (impatience by the seller, Visa being slow, you not approving in time, etc), that credit is still put aside as pending purchase. It can take up to 7 days for the pending purchase to have action, even if it is a cancelation - the CC company wants to hae a reasonable buffer to prevent overcharging and other related things.

It shoudl clear right up. A 5 minute call to the CC company should also explain this right quick.

JMH

I echo mori's recommendations for online camera shops, I have had good purchases from both.

unless there is a substantial difference in price I prefer to buy expensive camera stuff from my local camera shop. when there is any issues with the camera you can walk in and get service immediately by someone who knows what they are talking about. I can guarantee the geek at best buy or circuit city knows squat about photography and maybe a little about the function buttons. I don't care to play the shipping/return game with online sellers on gear that is expensive.

Well, the OP is 17 and a student. I see where he's coming from even if it's only $8. When you're that age, all you care about is hot HS/college girls and saving money.

Here's a little story, not saying it applies to you:
I did learn this though, the amount of time some people spend on "saving" money is ridiculous. My old roommate would spend HOURS looking for a good deal. Sometimes, he would buy only to resell. In the end, he probably made a few thousand dollars. And I guess he "saved" a lot of money, but he always ended up spending more because he was LOOKING for something.

I spent most of my time studying (kinda) and looking for a job. I ended up with a job months before him and my job pays a little better. Who has more money now?
grin.gif

Anyways, my point is, there are better ways to invest/spend one's time.

Don't get me wrong though, I know all about searching for deals. (YMMV, PM, AMEX, OOS, AR, S&H, NR, FAR, AC, Buying a $0.10 paper clip to boost my order from $49.99 to 50.09, Going to eBay to buy a coupon, etc.)

Agreed FD777, spend your time where it matters.

I know a few people like that.

One friend who didnt buy a jack for his car, because money was tight. Well on his way to work one night, he blew a tire out. He spent the entire night calling people to find a jack, and missed work that night. Money lost: ~$30. Cost of jack: ~$20.

Even funnier he didn't learn his lesson, same thing happened next week, but this time his new tire wasnt put on right (wanted to save money and went to a cheap place) so it leaked air, and he didnt have a compressor or a jack (still) to put the spare on. Missed work that day too.

And now he has no jack, missed work twice, and he wanted to save money on his tires so he only replace the one, so his right tire is bald and his left tire has a lot of tread on it.

Another friend, his car didnt start one morning, because his battery was bad. Had to call AAA, and they came over and told him he needed a new battery, jumped him, said they'd come over and replace it for $100 the next day. For whatever reason he didnt immedietly go to walmart or sears or someplace and get it replaced, waited for the next day. ALso on that next day didnt realize he didnt have money or a debit card, so he had to take a taxi to the bank to withdraw $100, and paid $50 for the taxi. His battery had been going for a while now, just didnt have the money.

All while my battery was starting to show signs of age, and I replaced it for all of $55 before it could give me trouble.

I have so many stories like this, all people who "didnt have the money" and it ended up getting them in the end.

Dont even get me started about one friend, who didnt have money to take his car to a mechanic, and it ended up catching fire on his way to school, on his way to take his final exam...

$8 is nothing, I agree buster, I wish that $8 were my only worry. If you were really worried about that money you'd have waited a month or two, and that same camera would be on sale for $40 cheaper.

You'll make it up somewhere else in time, like said above wash and wax your dads car for $10, it'll be half as cheap as a car wash, a better job, and he's probally too busy to do himself.

Lifes too short to worry about money, once you get older and get a good paying job, you'll make in months what you spent during your entire time in highschool and college.

Prices on electronics drop all the time. You'll probably see the same camera in a few weeks at Best Buy for $249. Just bite the bullet.

In the scheme of things, $8 is nothing unless money is really tight and the purchase involved is essential. Electronics gizmos are generally not essential. Heresy! Say it isn't so! Seriously, in this context "essential" instead refers to paying bills, feeding the family and taking care of their health needs, maintaining a vehicle required to go to work, keeping the electricity on, etc. Millions of people here in the US are struggling to get by and don't have anything by Casio or any other electronic supplier. They can't afford $200+ in the first place for such an item. That should put it in perspective a little. I should also note that if I hadn't received a computer as a gift 18 months ago, I probably would still be using library computers, as getting one simply wasn't a priority compared to taking care of other things. Of course, now that I have this one, I can't live without it...
wink.gif

Critic, listen to the people here who say:

(1) Time is money too.

(2) Being cheap can be the most expensive way of all.

(3) It isn't worth stressing or obsessing over small amounts of money. $8 is small.

I add this: (4) "Post-shopping" usually isn't worth it. This refers to checking prices elsewhere after you've already bought an item. Making this a habit is a good way to get an ulcer or end up on psychotropic meds.

Remember the old joke about how the Grand Canyon was created: "[Insert notorious skinflint's name here] lost a penny in a ditch and began digging to find it."

Above all else, don't become like the people—mainly women, but some men too—who buy something on sale they don't need simply because it is on sale. "Honey, I saved $1,000 on this $10,000 diamond tiara because it was on sale"—but who needed the tiara? Also, don't become like the people who go to numerous grocery stores on grocery day just to pick up an item here, an item there on sale. Fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle aren't free; neither is your time. As Henry Rollins once sang, "No such thing as free time...All you've got is lifetime" ("Shine").

About time as money: now it's time to bore you to death with a personal application. (Wait! Come back here!) I order copies of technical papers fairly frequently, but these days they are usually new papers, one at a time. Sometimes in the past I was able to look at particular papers by going to Virginia Tech or the Library of Congress, but both are some distance away—especially Tech at 5 hours' drive—so I would wait and compile a list of papers to pursue and kill them all in one trip. Now the supply of papers in the field I'm really interested in (clue: the engine that goes hmmmmmmmmmmm) has dried up, since I've looked at almost all the historical stuff and relatively little new stuff is appearing.

When I do find another paper, even if (say) the Library of Congress does carry it, it's usually worth it to order the paper online from the source or a supplier with a credit card. I might pay $20 for a paper online this way, compared to paying $0.20 per page to photocopy the paper at the Library of Congress. Doesn't sound like a good deal, if you figure that copying a 10-page paper would cost $2 at LoC. But it beats ~$30 in gasoline, ~$5 to park at the Metro station in northern Virginia, and ~$5 for Metro fare just to get to LoC to pay that $0.20 per page.

And then there's Mr. K's wear and tear from getting up at an indecent hour to beat a little of the traffic and driving 3 hours one way to northern Virginia; in truth, I don't like spending long periods of time behind the wheel as I once did, especially with the stop-and-go traffic in so many areas today. I ain't as young as I used to be. Once recently, on a Saturday, traffic was stop-and-go from northern Va. all the way to Richmond, a distance of nearly 100 miles. Usually the weekdays had the worst traffic. Not anymore! Let's say I value my time at $20 an hour. I'll "spend" some $120 in time for the DC round trip. Or more if traffic is bad, as it increasingly is.

Suddenly, "saving" $20 compared to paying 20 cents a page isn't such a bargain when you add all the expenses and the time. I also generally don't have the free time to drive somewhere distant because of my responsibilities at home now, so ordering online it is.

Even if I examine a paper and decide it isn't relevant to my needs and don't copy it, which happens a lot, I'm still out the time and money to get to Blacksburg or DC, so even here online purchasing is often better. (For several papers or other sources to view at once it remains a different story. Also, a paper unavailable elsewhere but Tech or LoC would change the situation, if I wanted that paper badly enough.)

It's all about time management, and that's as important as $ management.

Now, what was that about $8? Trust me, you'll drop $8 just to buy a meal at McDonald's or any other poison chain these days. Don't obsess about it!
cool.gif

Eight bux could be swapped for 800 pennies one of which might be one of those rare SVDB things resulting in a wondrous payout when it is sold so let us keep things in perspective before lambasting some human unit regarding the unmanly whining about the 8 bux event.

Still... 8 bux?????

Sheesh. Go roll a couple drunks or swipe a few kid's lunch money or manipulate the stock market or sell illegal arms to 3rd-world nogoodniks or get a part-time job for an hour or so or go to the laundromat with a stick and use it to drag the fallen coins from under the washing machines or panhandle or beg for money or I don't know.

8 bucks??????????????

Gotta' be a moral in here.

A penny spent is a penny spent?

Sumpthin'.

(taking glasses off while griping/pinching bridge of nose while shaking head in both amazement and dismay at the same time ..then throwing hands up in surrender)

Michael (sigh)

Actually, I ended up canceling the order due to too much grief with them and VISA. I decided to pay $20 more and take my business to Best Buy. Ended up paying $264.99 + sales tax ($285.55 total) and buying it there. Just picked it up earlier today.

The $35 2GB SanDisk Ultra III SD card is coming from Amazon Thurs.

I won't summarize krampitz' post, but I will add my own rant to it.

The whole process of shopping for household essentials seems extraordinarily expensive when you look at the time, direct out of pocket expenses, and risk incurred.

For example, you drive a (for instance) $10-40K car to Wal-Mart. First you fight your way through crazy traffic to the store where your expensive car sits in the parking lot as a dent/crash-magnet. You are inside, again fighting crazy people, buying toilet paper, (oil), and other "essentials", for an average total of what, maybe $40-70? Then you get back in the same traffic to drive home.

How much did that trip REALLY cost? I know the at-your-delivery" concept has not worked in initial tests, but I hope someone tries it again. Household shopping is horribly wasteful.

I paid $2.37 a gallon for reg unleaded on Saturday. Today, the price is $2.33 a gallon at the same store. I just lost $.04 cents on 12.61 gallons or approx $.50. I'm ticked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back