Announcement for 2012-2013 Mazda3 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Mazda3 w/Skyactiv. I had been noticing the headlights flickering consistently when applying the brakes. I don't recall when the issue began, but it had been going on for months. I spoke with a coworker who has a very similar 2012 model and she had the same issue. A quick web search revealed that Mazda issued a TSB for this problem and the resolution is a PCM re-flash. When I contacted a local Mazda dealer I was told that since it wasn't a "recall" the re-flash would cost me $120. I opted to put up with the flickering headlights. A few days later I remembered that my Mazda dealer had notified me in late 2012 that there WAS a recall for a rough idle issue that would require a PCM re-flash. I never had that done because I did not have any idle issues. But, it occurred to me that the reprogramming to fix that issue might fix the voltage issue causing the headlights to flicker. I am pleased to say that it did so the free re-flash took care of the headlight issue. Also, if any of you Mazda owners received a recall notice in the mail regarding replacement of the gas charged hatch supports I can inform you that the Mazda dealers have the parts to replace them now. Apparently, some owners could experience hatch support failures due to salt corrosion. Not an issue for me, but it's pretty cool to get new supports for free on a five year old car that might be them soon, anyway.

They were going to charge you for the TSB work? From personal experience, every time TSB were issued for my vehicles, the dealership performed the work without charge. I may be wrong in having thought this was always the case.

Originally Posted By: wemay
They were going to charge you for the TSB work? From personal experience, every time TSB were issued for my vehicles, the dealership performed the work without charge. I may be wrong in having thought this was always the case.

There are two Mazda dealers that are easily accessible to me. The one near my office in Richardson was the one that wanted to charge for the TSB work. The one near my house in Denton was the one I used (where I bought the car). Maybe they would have done the TSB work for free, but as it turned out the latest software took care of both issues so I didn't end up having to try that.

Hard to imagine that "flickering" headlights is not a mandatory recall, or at the least a free TSB repair. Not a safety issue? Amazing. Glad you were able to get it fixed under another recall. Smart move.

Also glad the PCM "reflash" fixed the issue. When I owned my 03 Altima a pcm "reflash" was one of Ghosn Nissan's fave "fixes". In my experience with them, it was more like code for we're going to make it look like we're doing something, but you'll likely be back with the same issue or worse later. In my case it was worse with engine terminal precats.

It doesn't/didn't happen all the time. Supposedly the problem was caused by low alternator output under high load conditions. The reflash apparently increased the alternator output.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
I paid $67 for the reflash to take care of my headlights. No mention of a rough idle TSB.

The dealer called me about the idle issue after I'd had the car for less than a year. Mine was built in April of 2012. Maybe yours was built later? the issue was supposedly related to rough idle or stalling after prolonged idle. Since I never had such an issue I didn't want to mess with it. It was, however, a RECALL and not a TSB. I found out about the headlight TSB on a Mazda forum. The poster posted a photo of the TSB and didn't provide a link to the document. This is it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: wemay

There are two Mazda dealers that are easily accessible to me. The one near my office in Richardson was the one that wanted to charge for the TSB work. The one near my house in Denton was the one I used (where I bought the car). Maybe they would have done the TSB work for free, but as it turned out the latest software took care of both issues so I didn't end up having to try that.

Good to know you got it resolved.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The Critic recently had it performed.

How did that work out since he doesn't own or have a Mazda3?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The Critic recently had it performed.

How did that work out since he doesn't own or have a Mazda3?

I forget who had the car but his dealer wouldn't help him, so I ran the VIN and found it should be covered, then his dealer did they work. Mazda takes every chance possible to screw over their dealers in my experience.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My understanding is that TSB are not necessarily free but, depends on the dealership. Ed

This is my understanding as well. I even asked my dealer to see about adding one of the "personalization features" for me. These are minor tweaks that must be done at the dealer. I wanted the turn signal that blinks three times when tapping the lever ("Smart turn signal" per Mazda). They threw that in for free as well. The dealership near my office wanted $20 for that.

Well, I also got a PCM reflash when the car was less than a year old to take care of some kind of issue. I thought it was something with the transmission, but it could've been the rough idle thing. I also got the smart turn signal at that time for free. Unfortunately the rest of my experience with that dealer was less than optimal and I decided to go to a different dealer for the headlights. I should have done it earlier but I wasn't driving much at night then, and I am now.

The dealer specifically told me that there was a charge because my car is out of warranty, but I am still under the powertrain warranty. Looking back on it now, my original dealer probably would've done it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back