Angi's List cost

I have been a user of Angi's list for several years. I use them when I have a job that I can't handle any more due to age. Their new system is, you tell them what you want fixed and then they ask to pay a predetermined amount. My job consists of replacing an O-ring or a complete solenoid ($29.98 at Lowes). Angy requested $435 up front without even looking at the problem. I will not be using their site anymore.

I have been a user of Angi's list for several years. I use them when I have a job that I can't handle any more due to age. Their new system is, you tell them what you want fixed and then they ask to pay a predetermined amount. My job consists of replacing an O-ring or a complete solenoid ($29.98 at Lowes). Angy requested $435 up front without even looking at the problem. I will not be using their site anymore.
What is the part going in to? How many hours of labor would be involved? Those details are important to put your thoughts in perspective.

The part is 12 inches above ground on 3/4 " PVC. If I could kneel down, I could replace the entire solenoid in less than 30 minutes and the solenoid cost is ~ $30 at Lowes. All it really needs is a new O-ring which is part of a $5 kit. If I prepaid ~$400. I called them and they stated that if the repair was over the $400 they would eat the difference. ed

Is this an irrigation valve?
I think he wants is a sprinkler control valve replaced. It's a very easy job if that's what it is. Obviously-a disconnect on the quote on what the repair actually is and what it entails.

I think he wants is a sprinkler control valve replaced. It's a very easy job if that's what it is. Obviously-a disconnect on the quote on what the repair actually is and what it entails.

I hope he didn't describe it to Angi the way he did in this thread...

When I called them, I described it perfectly and even gave them the manufactures part number and name which, is Lawn Genie

"One of my sprinkler valves leaks" is what you should have said. First, the person you're talking to doesn't know any more than that or they would have a different job. More importantly, when you hire someone to repair something, don't dictate to them what part needs replaced. They could replace the o-ring but it still leaks because the valve body is cracked. Now you're out $400 and still have a leak.

Back