Android Cell Phone Email Setup Issues

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I've been using the same Microsoft email address for 15+ years. It's been setup and working great on my Android cell phone (LG K20) for about 4 years, until last night when I lost all functionality of my Microsoft email on this phone - I can not send or receive any email. I still have full functionality of this email account on 2 other devices (laptop and tablet). I deleted this email account from my phone, and tried to set it up again from scratch, but I get the message: "Setup incomplete - can not connect to the server due to a security issue."

I have two other Microsoft email accounts which I hardly use anymore, and can set both of them up on my LG K20 phone with no issues. Once I set each one up, they both work perfectly (I can send and receive emails). The email application on this phone is part of the LG operating system (it's not a separate App that I installed) - the email application info says "App installed from LGInstallService". It doesn't seem to be the built in LG application or my phone causing the issue, otherwise my other two Microsoft email accounts wouldn't setup and work perfectly when setup through the LG operating system email application.

Any ideas why my main email account will not setup from scratch, and give the "can not connect to the server due to a security issue" message during setup, while both my other Microsoft email addresses will setup and work with no issues?

Of course I tired to contact Microsoft Tech Support, and these days it seems you can't talk to anyone at Microsoft anymore, and I couldn't even find a way to live chat with their Tech Support.

You will probably get better replies but until then
- Can you log into this account on the laptop/desktop, send and receive emails there?
- If you can, can you install Microsoft email application (there is no Hotmail app that I could find, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.outlook can be used instead). If it is paid/asks for money, simply install Gmail app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gm)and you can set up all accounts from that app. If LG application is an issue, this should work.

I suspect of 2 issues,
- LG app that you are using is not 'approved' by email provider by the way of security settings/signature verification, whatever the reason be
- Microsoft email still uses POP/IMAP activation in the email settings which may have gotten disabled.

I got a few emails last year that My Yahooo/ AOL account and Mail would not be supported on my old Windows 8.1 Mobile Microsoft phone anymore due to security issues with the unsupported platform, I ignored that, but it is still working.

I didnt like Android Ice Cream Sandwich as my wife had terrible issues with file and junk and browsing history management and her Android phone would stop working. The "customer reprehensibles" at the Verizon store wouldnt/couldnt help her either.

Hopefully the new software is better at this and it's not a mystery game to be played for hours to do simple browsing history, temp file and junk file management.

I have to get a New Phone, and I'm dreading it as I've had mine for 10 years!

BTW - I've never used the worthless screen protector or phone case, and the thing is "as new".
So I would say there is a bunch of useless chinese 50X over priced garbage "accessories" these phone places
sell the gullible ones - which are MOST of us.

ZO6 - I hope you get this fixed
I tend to get REALLY p.o'd over tech issues that should NOT be occurring on commonplace devices.
This is 2021 for crying out loud.

Are you using 2FA/ MFA (ie. do you need to take an additional step to log in elsewhere like receive a text message code or use an authenticator app to provide additional authentication?) If so you'll either need to generate an "application password" for use by your email app OR get another email app that supports more modern authentication protocols.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I finally got through via on-line chat with a Microsoft Tech, and spent an hour explaining things and doing some tests which I had already done and tired to explain. Geeez, it sure would be easier to actually talk to somebody by voice instead of text when trying to trouble-shoot technical issues. Anyway, I don't know if he did anything on his end (it didn't sound like it), but I tired setting up my main email account again on my phone this morning and it setup with no error message this time, and is working normally again.

So maybe something got reset on Microsoft's end somewhere since a day ago when this all happened, and that allowed the email account t work again on my phone. Like I said earlier, my other two Microsoft email accounts loaded and worked fine on my phone yesterday when I was trouble-shooting this problem, so seems it wasn't my phone or the email App on my phone. Anyway, all is good again. (y)

ZO6 - I hope you get this fixed
I tend to get REALLY p.o'd over tech issues that should NOT be occurring on commonplace devices.
This is 2021 for crying out loud.

Yeah, it's ridiculous how much seems to go wrong these days with technology, but it seems the cause is because as time goes on it becomes more and more complicated, and it seems everyone is constantly changing & "updating" things which opens up all kinds of opportunities for glitches to creep in, especially when dealing with software.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's ridiculous how much seems to go wrong these days with technology, but it seems the cause is because as time goes on it becomes more and more complicated, and it seems everyone is constantly changing & "updating" things which opens up all kinds of opportunities for glitches to creep in, especially when dealing with software.
We are in the very, very, very, very early days of the Information Age and things are developing and changing as nascent things do.

We are in the very, very, very, very early days of the Information Age and things are developing and changing as nascent things do.
Definitely ... but what's important is that mistakes aren't made to cause problems as the technology develops. I lost my internet connection on time for 5 days, and it took me hours of talking on the phone with the Tech Dept before they found that a software upgrade clobbered my service somehow. I had to give them an error message that I saw in the modem before they finally homed in on the issue. About the 3rd Tech figured it out ... a few before him had no idea what the error message meant. It's that kind of thing that is frustrating.

Not reading all the replies so sorry if I'm repeating anything previously said.. if its anything like aol email you may need to sign into your Microsoft account on the computer and go into security settings and request a verification code.

At AT&T Lucent we were building the nation's long haul stuff in our OA Shops in the late 90's and early 2K and back then the generous capacity wasn't being utilised. There was also the "last mile" connectivity hurdle to jump.
20+ years out I can show this lean work cell photo. At the time I was engineering and designing the assembly bench layout and pioneered online shop instructions and product routing.

Gail Fiber Routing OA.JPG

big tech can be a PITA as we really NEVER know what they can do, their ball + bat your $$$$. recently my land line had issues + after checking + fiddling + even making a repair appointment it suddenly got FIXED!!!

Back