And with the screech of a tire, I'm screwed. [any traffic attorneys here?]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a cold, frosted night. A pair of headlights barrled into the parking lot where I was meeting my friends; a 1998 BMW 740i pulls up. As the door cracks, I'm greeted with a friendly face. Ah, Chris. Apparently the pizza place forgot to make the pizza that he ordered, so now he has twenty minutes to kill. The kids that were with me wanted him to go pull some doughnuts in his car, but he resisted the peer pressure. I, unfortunately, did not. Chris wanted me to as well, so he handed over his keys as I drove the carful of kids over to a secluded, empty parking lot. No cars, no people.

We pull into the abandoned parking lot, and the kids get out. All of them, that is, except for Chris. Chris wanted to see the carnage carried out. I gave the crowd what they wanted, but didn't want to overdo it. I pulled two complete circles at wide open throttle. The engine blared as the parking lot was engulfed in white smoke. After the 720 degree adventure, I pick my friends who were laughing at the sidelines up. They get in the vehicle and one of them says, "Oh **** , cop. Sit tight". The cop makes much more tire noise than I did in the bimmer as he turns on both of his spotlights.

"KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM; ALL OF YOU!"

I was in for **** .

The cop comes up to the window, and says, "No sudden movements, hand over your license and registration". After an eternity (20 minutes) of waiting in the car with the police just talking on his radio, two more SUV police cars show up, and one sedan police car. The parking lot across the street is now populated with every teenager in Novato, just watching the scene unfold.

I am taken out of the car, and read my rights. Because the cop was so nice, he "wouldn't arrest me this time, just give me a ticket". Oh grand.

As the sheet of paper was handed to me, my fate was sealed. "23103CVL - Recless Driving". Correctable violation: No. Infraction type: Misdemeanor.

Well **** . The police called my friends parents and they came to pick their car up. It was the kid's dad's car, and I haven't talked to him yet. I just talked to the stepmom who was actually pretty cool throughout the ordeal. I have no idea what I am going to do. I have to tell my parents about all this good stuff tomorrow before work.

I don't think I should have gotten that severe of a punishment, but I was being an idiot and going for a cheap thrill so I guess I got what I deserved. I'm not going to fight it, but how does this look in regards to my insurance increasing?

Vital stats:
Driver: 18 years old
Vehicle: 01 Integra Type-R
Tickets: None, just this one

I'm assuming I will have some impact after the court decisions are made, as this is a 2-point non-correctable infraction.

Thoughts?

In Ohio he could not have given you a ticket for reckless op on a piece of private property. Traffic tickets in Ohio cannot be issued for infractions on private property, not even in accidents, unless the person is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and behind the wheel. How did he know that your or your family did not own the property? Or was it public property?

Might be wise to consult an attorney.

Quote......"I don't think I should have gotten that severe of a punishment, but I was being an idiot and going for a cheap thrill so I guess I got what I deserved."

Why are you mad that you got a reckless driving ticket for doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot for your friends?? If they wanted you to do a 720 sooo badly.....why don't they (your friends) pay the ticket? You are 18 years old, why not try acting like an adult.
dunno.gif
The reason why you got a "Reckless Driving" ticket instead of a moving violation ticket is to prevent you from doing this type behavior in the future.

[ July 24, 2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Boeing 757 Pilot ]

I'm VERY critical of drivers and of people in general for doing stupid and/or discourteous things.

But, I don't see how horsing around in a parking lot is the end of the world. How about going after the Ricer 'fast & furious' types racing on the road putting everyone in danger? You know why they don't? Because it's too hard. Instead drop the hammer on some kids in a parking lot. Meanwhile actual crimes are being committed all over town for sure.

Go after enough 'low hanging fruit' and call it a day while real criminals and reckless drivers keep on doing whatever they want to. Good work!

wow,
a friend of mine had the some thing happen to him,
a parking lot is private property, when he took it to court it got thrown out,
if the owner of the parking lot wants to press charges, then you are in trouble....
but 99% of the time they don't, too much hassle..

anyway , a empty parking lot, is safer than the road.....

i would fight it , other wise kiss that nice type R of yours good bye........

i live in canada, so it might be a little different ,

save the tires , leave the tread on the tire on the road....
lesson learned

That's a pretty heavy charge up here in terms of your driving record, and would create a situation where it's too expensive for most 18 year olds to insure a vehicle in the provinces that have private insurance. Usually you'd get hit with a stunting ticket for that (here, anyway). It sounds like it would be worth fighting. I'd also definitely look into the private property aspect of this.

And you wonder why your insurance costs so much!?
pat.gif

Strictly from a legal point of view, your action was done on private property. I would consult an attorney to explore this angle.

I agree with the poster talking of "low hanging fruit"! Unfortunately/fortunately, you were the low hanging fruit!

It will be interesting to see how the process comes out for you and what you have learned from this.

Unfortunately in CA, we have laws that screw you over for parking lot shennanigans.

quote:

23103. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in
willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is
guilty of reckless driving.
(b) Any person who drives any vehicle in any offstreet parking
facility, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12500, in willful
or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty
of reckless driving.

(c) Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be
punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days
nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred
forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars
($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided
in Section 23104.

Also,

quote:

(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle in or upon any offstreet parking facility, unless the person then holds a valid driver's license of the appropriate class or certification to operate the vehicle. As used in this subdivision, "offstreet parking facility" means any offstreet facility held open for use by the public for parking vehicles and includes any publicly owned facilities for offstreet parking, and privately owned facilities for offstreet parking where no fee is charged for the privilege to park and which are held open for the common public use of retail customers.

This one is probably going to be tough.

I would talk to an attorney who does a lot of traffic cases anyway. Is the parking lot actually abandoned? If so, it might not be "held open". Is there a store there? There is no harm in squeezing the letter of the law for all it's worth. You can bet the cops do so to their advantage. Have someone who works with CA law daily take a look at it, it will probably be worth the $50 or so (don't know what a consultation there costs.)

Who exactly was in danger? Whose property?

I think you'd have a hard time hurting any of the occupants in such a fine sedan, at least in a parking lot.

I'd fight it. You were definitely guilty of acting like a young jack*** in someone else's parking lot
grin.gif
but it wasn't reckless driving!

Oh, I fully understand that I deserve a punishment and that I acted like a retard. However, all I am trying to do is get the punishment lessened-- this is a worse end result than when my brother was cought for posession of cocaine. I spun a doughnut, he used cocaine, and somehow I end up the loser.

Well, I talked to Chris's dad and he just said that we should make better decisions, and laughed.

The parking lot in question was my highschool's parking lot, and in CA it is classified as public. In many states it is private property and the case would be thrown out, but not in this state. The parking lot had nothing in it, but it is still "wanton disregard for property" or whatever. I know they could throw the book at me, I'm just hoping for a good plea bargain.

Testosterone + gasoline + impetuous of youth = impulses that often bite one in one's arse! **** , in 40 yrs. you'll look back on this and laugh! Good luck to you and I hope you get a judge who was once young himself.

quote:

Originally posted by Logik:
[QB]and which are held open for the common public use of retail customers.

What kind of parking lot was this?

A lot which is "held open for the common public use of retail customers" isn't usually an "abondoned parking lot".

In fact, by this definition, the parking lot at my workplace wouldn't be included in this law.

We aren't a retail operation.

EDIT: I see that it's your highschool parking lot. Ooops.

Next time, find a parking lot for a warehouse or something.

And bear in mind that many schools have resident or 24x7 security people who WILL call the cops if they see people doing donuts in the parking lot.

quote:

in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.

I think if everyone was standing back enough, then there wasn't really any disregard for safety.

Logik: Off topic, but very relevent to me and countless others. Lose the term 'retard'. Period.

People who are developmentally challenged do the best they can with what they've got. I admire that.

I know 'retard' has become a common term. That doesn't make it right or acceptable. Pass the word.

quote:

Originally posted by olddognewtrks:
Logik: Off topic, but very relevent to me and countless others. Lose the term 'retard'. Period.

People who are developmentally challenged do the best they can with what they've got. I admire that.

I know 'retard' has become a common term. That doesn't make it right or acceptable. Pass the word.

Duly noted; but it's past the alotted time to edit my post. Sorry for using that term, I couldn't find a better word that wouldn't be bleeped out.

Looks to me like you have to decide who to pay, the lawyer or the court..probably both. Should add the insurance company in there.
Being contrite before a judge, while well dressed and polite, can take you a long way. Ask if you can do community service etc. It shows responsiblility and will serve you well.

Fight it; cops spend too much time busting folks on traffic offenses that go uncontested. Since it's a misdemeanor you very likely get no jury.

Do be prepared for the cop's testimony to sound like it came from a script he's given over and over. Be ready for "testi-lying" where an officer says he made out your face through the windshield at night with your headlights facing at him (and similar wild claims, because he's "been trained"). If you don't get an attorney at least go to court before your trial and watch what goes on-- then watch some "Law and Order" reruns but beware you don't get most/all of the rights a murder suspect does. You were likely afraid for your life of all the cops mistaking you for a gangbanger and using excessive force against you... particularly the one that didn't make it to court that day. (Get all their names.) It probably won't get you off, but you might drag them down with you.

You were unlucky to get caught but reckless it was. You're not a professional driver and in a strange car doing donuts with people around. One mistake, it hooks up and you could be 50' away before you stop. You may be a decent driver but you took a chance and got caught being a bit reckless. Even my retarded daughter thinks so. Buy your freinds parents some new rear tires while your at it. If I were you I would also try my best to get off but accept some responsibility for screwwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back