... and Joe Public just keeps on using Android and Google ...

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I'm not completely free of Google, but with very little effort I've disabled most Google apps including the "Google app" as you can see in the screenshot.

I wouldn't trust that simply disabling the apps is sufficient. Remove them 100%.

Also, where do you download apps from ? Please don't say the Google App Store.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'm not completely free of Google, but with very little effort I've disabled most Google apps including the "Google app" as you can see in the screenshot.

I wouldn't trust that simply disabling the apps is sufficient. Remove them 100%.

Also, where do you download apps from ? Please don't say the Google App Store.

When they're disabled they don't show up in the app drawer at all. I also noticed a significant speed up since disabling all of them.

Yes I still require the Google play store, specifically for certain apps like my time sheet app for work. My employer has to track my location for jobs all day. I also have to use outlook.

Maybe I could find a version of these to download elsewhere but then I have to manually keep them up to date by downloading the .apk and reinstalling as needed. Updates are important for security.

It's one thing to remove most of the google apps and permissions, I really don't have the time to mess with things like that all the time now. I used to install custom ROMs all the time for fun, but I didn't have work stuff on the phone back then, it was just for browsing and leisure. I'm no longer interested in that stuff, until my phone stops getting updates for a while and becomes a security risk.

Yes I still require the Google play store, specifically for certain apps like my time sheet app for work. My employer has to track my location for jobs all day. I also have to use outlook.

On your personal phone? No thanks. My office pays for G Suite. I made sure not to use it.

Some employers do require BYOD and install a tracker on it. The carrot is a device stipend that may be more than the cell service fee.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Some employers do require BYOD and install a tracker on it. The carrot is a device stipend that may be more than the cell service fee.

Then I'd buy a phone for work. Worrying about google but giving your employer access to your location and personal phone is crazy.

Originally Posted by hatt

Then I'd buy a phone for work. Worrying about google but giving your employer access to your location and personal phone is crazy.

I manage our BYOD at work and we don't track location, but we do have permission to wipe all the work-related data from the device (mail, calendar, contacts, notes...etc).

On your personal phone? No thanks. My office pays for G Suite. I made sure not to use it.

Nah, I'll keep my job thanks. They only track me while paying me. They do supply my work phone number but I put the sim card in my dual sim oneplus 5 because I hate carrying 2 phones.

I disagree. I guess it comes down to whether you trust your employer or not. I trust mine. They used to have GPS trackers in the truck and got rid of them to go with the time sheet app instead. It comes in handy when a customer paying by the hour tries to say you were only there for 3 hours when you were there for 5, and can prove it. I also want to be able to keep track of where I was at certain time/dates.

If you have something to hide or you're ripping your employer off then yes it could be a problem for you, so I can see some peoples concern there. When I'm working, I'm working where I am supposed to be and my boss doesn't even look unless he has to, so it's not a problem for me.

Also if you think you're being tracked on your own time, see the screenshot. One click and no location tracking.

Screenshot_20200622-185441__02.jpg

That's fine if they want a GPS tracker in THEIR vehicle. When I park it for the day that would be a great place to leave THEIR phone too.

That's fine if they want a GPS tracker in THEIR vehicle. When I park it for the day that would be a great place to leave THEIR phone too.

As I said its a pain in the [censored] carrying around 2 phones. Since they can't track me on my own time, it's a non issue whether you believe it is or not.

As I said its a pain in the [censored] carrying around 2 phones. Since they can't track me on my own time, it's a non issue whether you believe it is or not.

How do you use Waze/etc with location turned off?

Yes, if you have to BYOD then simply get another phone for your private life. Easy stuff and once you do that, your work phone is now tax deductible ... (check with your accountant) cell service is dirt cheap as well.
Best, yet, once done with work, you can turn off that device until your next work day.

I worked with two phones for years, one work and one personal but my employer paid for the work phone and once off work, I turned that phone off.
If your employer requires you to supply your own phone, use it just for work and not personal, it should be completely tax deductible.
If you use it as a mix of personal and business instead of having a separate personal phone it might get a little more complicated, there is A LOT of info on the internet, just do a search.

Last edited:

How do you use Waze/etc with location turned off?

I turn it on when I need it. There is a reason they have a single click on off button for it. Is it that hard to understand? I turn it on when I get to work because the time sheet app requires it. I turn it off end of day to save battery and data, plus I don't need it anymore.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Yes, if you have to BYOD then simply get another phone for your private life. Easy stuff and once you do that, your work phone is now tax deductible ... (check with your accountant) cell service is dirt cheap as well.
Best, yet, once done with work, you can turn off that device until your next work day.

I worked with two phones for years, one work and one personal but my employer paid for the work phone and once off work, I turned that phone off.
If your employer requires you to supply your own phone, use it just for work and not personal, it should be completely tax deductible.
If you use it as a mix of personal and business instead of having a separate personal phone it might get a little more complicated, there is A LOT of info on the internet, just do a search.

I carried the second phone around long enough and don't want to do it anymore. I have to carry enough stuff around as it is. Its so much simpler when both numbers and emails are on one device. Ill never get a single sim phone again.

My employer now pays me a small amount a month for use of my own phone plus supplies the work number. I feel like I should give up trying to explain this stuff. I don't work for a large company, it's a private company, owner is a great guy and has done a lot for me. I'm not one bit worried about this stuff.

Besides making organization easier for the company, its easier for me. I can keep track of everything so much easier.

caprice_2nv has a phone capable of having two sim cards. Essentially two phones in one device. He can turn the one sim off and keep the personal sim working.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Interesting
https://www.inc.com/don-reisinger/n...hard-on-small-businesses.html?cid=search

I still say you could bring a horse to water but....

I don't see a big impact. Most users are going to gladly give away their info to make all the apps and services work the best.

I don't disagree with you.
Unless the time comes when people realize what they are giving away they may care or they may not.
I do think a certain percentage that are concerned about privacy and security choose Apple products.
I myself imoved Into the Apple world in September 2019 after a decade of hating the company I am now 100% changed and loving the integration and privacy mythology of the company.
I just ran across this and found it interesting. This coming from an android site.
I knew this thread would generate a vest range of opinions, some strong but I won't allow someone to say or reply to anyone that says I called them stupid.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-selling-phones-2019-north-america-1087962/

Last edited:
"I knew this thread would generate a vest range of opinions, some strong but I won't allow someone to say or reply to anyone that says I called them stupid."

I don't know, that's the way it comes across to me..."you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink "...sounds like saying we're so stupid that we'll die of thirst even though you showed us the way, so to speak.

I feel like I have enough control over my privacy and I even showed you very clear examples, not just statements. Sure it's not perfect, but I have enough control to see no advantage to following your footsteps with Apple. I also would bet I have much less disposable income than you, and that would have a huge effect on being fine with the Apple tax.

Back