... and Joe Public just keeps on using Android and Google ...

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

You want a REAL conspiracy?! I am told that Walmart sells items for MORE THAN THEY PAID FOR THOSE ITEMS. They're ripping us off! And yet sheeple keep walking in there like mindless zombies. Wake up, people!

Gold!
lol.gif

Any and every search engine is doing the same. All communication devices are culpable and unfortunately, until more regulation and policing is enforced, this is the price we pay for entry.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
If anyone is half-serious about their "privacy", they better be going to extreme lengths while browsing the web, including this site, such as using VPNs, your browser's "private mode", and so on. Also, don't use self-scanners at retail store. Don't use "rewards" cards at the grocery, gas stations, pharmacy, etc either.

Thats true. I forget the newspaper, but there was a series of articles back in December, which tracked various folks around DC from app and phone ping info, and indicated how easy it is.

Beyond that, how Gmail for example, reads your email and sells ads associated with it...

And then anyone and everyone trying for the same...

Originally Posted by terry274
Yeah, that wasn't Google doing the spying. Personally, I find the story last year about Apple listening on Siri much more invasive.

Siri privacy violation

That is scary, I had seen something related to that, listening and using it for "training". Its pretty well established how to turn off all the listening functions.

Here is an interesting story that brings out the fact that the Apple browser, Safari, by default routes searches through Google. Yes, the evil empire itself!

Apple is a hypocrite

I wasnt aware that Apple had their own organic search engine. It is easy to change the default browser. I use duck duck go FWIW...

Here is an interesting story that brings out the fact that the Apple browser, Safari, by default routes searches through Google. Yes, the evil empire itself!

Apple is a hypocrite

As I recall, Google pays Apple a nice sum of change for this. The number is in the billions, if I'm not mistaken.... Apple are hypocrites 'cause they're putting the almighty dollar before their user's privacy (and I'm typing this on an iMac, have a Macbook at home, and an iPhone in my pocket).

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I hate Google, especially their daily spam calls [which I block] regarding my business. LOL
27.gif

That's not Google calling.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Apple is a hypocrite

As I recall, Google pays Apple a nice sum of change for this. The number is in the billions, if I'm not mistaken.... Apple are hypocrites 'cause they're putting the almighty dollar before their user's privacy (and I'm typing this on an iMac, have a Macbook at home, and an iPhone in my pocket).

Ummmm?
Apple's privacy far exceeds any other main stream operating system and connecting apps.
I'm sure you must know you could change your search engine to anything you would like in the Safari browser.

If you want privacy use DuckDuckGo as your default search engine. The general public wants Google.
I avoid anything related to google including the android operating system and Gmail.
I don't Need to pay Google with my privacy for their services. I can afford to pay other companies without prostituting the information of my family to Google

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Ummmm?
Apple's privacy far exceeds any other main stream operating system and connecting apps.
I'm sure you must know you could change your search engine to anything you would like in the Safari browser.

If you want privacy use DuckDuckGo as your default search engine. The general public wants Google.
I avoid anything related to google including the android operating system and Gmail.
I don't Need to pay Google with my privacy for their services. I can afford to pay other companies without prostituting the information of my family to Google

No, Apple's privacy does not far exceed anything

Anybody else remember when Apple forced the whole U2 album on user phones without consent?

Last edited:
Ummmm?

I avoid anything related to google .... blah, blah, blah....

We get it, you don't like Google. Good for you....

You know Google pays Apple billions ($9 BILLION in 2018, $12 BILLION in 2019) for a good reason ! That is because 99% of users do not change the search engine.

So Google doesn't vet the extensions for stuff like this before they allow them on their Google store for people to download? Hummm ... hindsight, as the saying goes.

You can bring a horse to water but you cant make him drink ... its shocking ... Europeans are much more educated on this subject and why better laws and why Tim Cook is far more respected there, then he is here in his home country.
Doesnt matter to me as far as comments directed to me, could care less, there are people, even who read this forum, that "get it." In fact, the comments against, may actually have been harvested in your own brain by the "media" ... and the way you vote. Not science fiction anymore.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18017842/tim-cook-data-privacy-laws-us-speech-brussels

Last edited:
You can bring a horse to water but you cant make him drink ... its shocking ... Europeans are much more educated on this subject and why better laws and why Tim Cook is far more respected there, then he is here in his home country.
Doesnt matter to me as far as comments directed to me, could care less, there are people, even who read this forum, that "get it." In fact, the comments against, may actually have been harvested in your own brain by the "media" ... and the way you vote. Not science fiction anymore.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18017842/tim-cook-data-privacy-laws-us-speech-brussels

You can buy an android phone and get rid of the Google if you really want to. What's your options with the iPhone?

Edit: not to mention the clickbait article has nothing to do with android. Just the web chrome browser, if you install a malicious extension.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

You can buy an android phone and get rid of the Google if you really want to. What's your options with the iPhone?

There is always jail breaking... been so long since I felt like I had to do that though.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Edit: not to mention the clickbait article has nothing to do with android. Just the web chrome browser, if you install a malicious extension.

Huh?
Android is google attached to a google account. Are you talking about installing a new operating system on a phone?
Please explain what options with the iPhone and I will answer your question as I have no clue what you are asking :eek:)

As far as extensions, far more likely to install a malicious extension on anything related to google and android.
By default Apple is more secure and lets face it, the general public has no clue as to security.

( I have worked on hundreds if not thousands of customer phones installing security apps.

Last edited:

I'm about the biggest Apple fan out there, my first Macintosh was a Mac Plus back in 1988 (with a 20MB Super Drive) and I've owned probably 10-12 Macintosh computers since then along with countless phones, iPads, iPods and other products. But when you drag in the "Europeans are much more educated" nonsense I completely tune out on whatever else you might be saying after that. Generally this goofy statement is in regards to politics or health care or roads or speed limits or city planning, but adding their apparent superior admiration for Tim Cook qualifies as the silliest one yet.

Europe has far more privacy protections then the United States and I'm not glorifying Tim Cook But he certainly has more insight than anybody in this forum.

Last edited:
It is true that you can largely strip google from an android device, but it comes with some drawbacks. Chief among them is that you will need to use a playstore alternative (of which there are a few). This is fine for downloading free apps, but any apps that you have paid for on playstore will have issues because they need to connect to google/playstore to verify. There are also some android functions that will be problematic like google pay and probably a few others that I'm not aware of.

I had one phone setup (rooted, with custom ROM and other necessary mods to forego google) and it was mostly fine. It does require some research and work to get everything working - how to get root on your particular phone/model, required software, etc. For anyone interested, a good starting point for a rooted phone is search for "microG GmsCore" which is the alternate I used for google play services.

Back