Analog vs Digital Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reinforces a concern about digital information in a Scientific American article a few years back. As an example my Kodachrome slides are good for about 200 years storage, but to digitize them with current technology takes about 80 to 120 Mbytes per image. Silver prints can last lots longer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/business/media/23steal.html?_r=1&ref=movies&oref=slogin

The Afterlife Is Expensive for Digital Movies

TIME was, a movie studio could pack up a picture and all of its assorted bloopers, alternate takes and other odds and ends as soon as the production staff was done with them, and ship them off to the salt mine. Literally.....

.....It was a file-and-forget system that didn’t cost much, and made up for the self-destructive sins of an industry that discarded its earliest works or allowed films on old flammable stock to degrade. (Indeed, only half of the feature films shot before 1950 survive.)

But then came digital. And suddenly the film industry is wrestling again with the possibility that its most precious assets, the pictures, aren’t as durable as they used to be.

Much worse, to keep the enormous swarm of data produced when a picture is “born digital” — that is, produced using all-electronic processes, rather than relying wholly or partially on film — pushes the cost of preservation to $208,569 a year, vastly higher than the $486 it costs to toss the equivalent camera negatives, audio recordings, on-set photographs and annotated scripts of an all-film production into the cold-storage vault.

All of this may seem counterintuitive. After all, digital magic is supposed to make information of all kinds more available, not less. But ubiquity, it turns out, is not the same as permanence.

To begin with, the hardware and storage media — magnetic tapes, disks, whatever — on which a film is encoded are much less enduring than good old film. If not operated occasionally, a hard drive will freeze up in as little as two years. Similarly, DVDs tend to degrade: according to the report, only half of a collection of disks can be expected to last for 15 years, not a reassuring prospect to those who think about centuries. Digital audiotape, it was discovered, tends to hit a “brick wall” when it degrades. While conventional tape becomes scratchy, the digital variety becomes unreadable.

Maybe they could use those old punch cards or ticker tape to store the digital media.

I have an old computer where the hard disk has not bee run in 5 years. When I started the computer a fw months ago, it boot up and ran with no problems.

I think the old vinyl records lasted longer then the new CD's. maybe because I took beter care of the vinyl and just toss the CD's around because I know I can re-burn another copy.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
my Kodachrome slides are good for about 200 years storage

Only if the mites and or mold don't eat the gelatin in the emulsion.
wink.gif

Even if a movie is produced digitally they'll make film prints for projectors in 3rd world countries. Plus moore's law will take effect and bring down the cost of digital storage.

Also, if copied before it rots, the clock restarts on digital media, as it'll be a perfect copy.

The saddest thing is Lucas or whomever won't be able to claim they've "digitally remastered" the original bits into something "sharper and clearer than you've ever seen." Though they could try...

Laser printers can do 200 dpi pretty accurately, so an 8x10.5 inch sheet of paper could hold... 3.36 mbits of data, or 420 kB. Use 10% of that for error correction, and you have 378 kb/sheet. A music CD with 700 Mb would take 1852 sheets of paper to store.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
Similarly, DVDs tend to degrade: according to the report, only half of a collection of disks can be expected to last for 15 years, not a reassuring prospect to those who think about centuries.

As long as the dead half contains Leonard Part VI and all of Tim Allen's movies, I'll be OK with it.

"...my Kodachrome slides are good for about 200 years storage

Only if the mites and or mold don't eat the gelatin in the emulsion."

Some family possesions ended up in an attic in Oklahome city for almost 20 years, and when we retrieved them we found some of my dad's Kodachromes. They looked good as new, after some incredible cycles of temperature and humidity. Color pictures from WWII are pretty much Kodachromes, as other color films faded pretty badly.

About those slides- we have many slides, dating from ~1946 through the mid 1970's. Some are on Ansco and at least one other film brand that escapes my memory right now- these are all trending toward "browntone". Most, though, are on Kodak slide film, and a lot of those are on Kodachrome. All the Kodak slides still look very good, & the Kodachrome slides appear to have suffered no degradation at all.

And as a sidebar- no one really knows just *how* long good slides in general, & Kodachrome in particular, will last- but it's a very long time. If you have some & want to do every thing possible to preserve them- after all the other stuff(acid-free boxes, vacuum-sealed in platic, etc), freeze 'em! One article I read in the mid 1990's predicted life of- well, let's just say that if you did all the details- a lot longer than the 200 yrs mentioned above.

I wonder why they're using digital media in the first place. Even when I got out of the industry in 01 we rarely used disks, floppies - cd's, for anything. Setup a server farm in the salt mine would be the best solution. Cooling or heating shouldn't be a issue probably would need a good de-humidifier though. Server's with RAID's can last a long time.. I know the college I left are still using servers they bought back 2000.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Anybody seen a 70mm film on the big screen?... It's quite an experience!

I think the Original Star Wars and Die hard was filmed in 70mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back