An example of why RTV should be used sparingly

It can but one reason they use RTV is that it is an excellent elastomer. It usually has to be stretched something like 600% before it breaks, and it takes a lot of force before that happens. And it has no plasticizers to migrate out so it will be as flexible, pliable, and stretchable years later as it was new.
Exactly. Yes, there are horror stories of people putting gobs on, but done right it’s not a problem. Mr. Critics work was perfect. That amount showing up inside will never tear off.

Speaking of gobs of sealant coming off.I used some silicone to seal a thermostat housing and the gob helped cause a boil over,I've been careful with tube sealant ever since

I would think RTV would work well in place of pipe dope on threaded connections but perhaps is not intended for connections under that magnitude of pressure.
I suppose if all else fails I could read the manufacturer’s instructions 😎😎
The spark plug tubes in my 5SFE motor are metal-on-metal thread, with puddles of oil above trying via gravity to find a way in. I had to unthread one, clean it as best I could, and reassemble with sealant. I chose Permatex Ultra Grey. Seems to be working.

Yes, people do that all the time because they think more is better. Have you been reading the thread?

I think there's a difference between applying sealant with a bead size larger than what it needs to be and applying sealant in places where it shouldn't be.

Which are we talking about?

Someone would almost have to intentionally apply the sealant in a sloppy way to make that happen.
Not really. We have seen numerous instances of engine failure from a pick-up screen full of rtv strands due to overapplication of RTV during a recent engine repair.

Keep in mind that the stuff has to cure. A lot of techs add oil as soon as the engine is reassembled and that doesn't help the situation.

Back