Product Review - Permatex Ultra Grey RTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Taurus timing cover is similar to the Ranger, there is no corresponding surface to where you have beads of Ultra Grey on the large flat area of the water pump, so that silicone is in the flow of coolant, which would worry me.

Of course, I like gaskets.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
If the Taurus timing cover is similar to the Ranger, there is no corresponding surface to where you have beads of Ultra Grey on the large flat area of the water pump, so that silicone is in the flow of coolant, which would worry me.

Of course, I like gaskets.

You bring up a good point. That water pump does look like the one from a Vulcan 3.0. RTV is not ideal in this application as Motorcraft does make an OEM gasket. For the timing cover, RTV is not ideal either because there's not alot of meat around the coolant port so you really risk silicone pieces breaking off. Fiber gaskets are better at holding itself together, whereas RTV breaks off.

I use the manufacturer's gasket. If I don't like the manufacturer's gasket, then I use a paper gasket coated on both sides with Permatex 2-B. Way easier than messing with RTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back