An aviation crash that may be of interest

This is the runway detail available to all airmen, PLINE is clearly noted for both ends of the runway. It is absolutely required that you know the airport and runway you are going to land on. When you are in the pattern you also look for obstructions and hazards. When I was a flight instructor, I operated out of 1C2 (no longer there) which had power lines at three of the four runway thresholds. Several times students and even a couple pilots were dragging in their approach and I ask them if they were "just going to hit the power lines?". They were completely unaware that they were in peril. Situational awareness is a great way to stay alive.

This instance is simply pilot error.

N21 Airport Runway Details​

Runway 14/32 3591 ft x 88 ft (1095 m x 27 m)
Runway Length Source:
FAA-EST IMAGERY as of 04/21/2020

Runway 14

Runway 32

Elevation:
Latitude:
34-29-37.6100N34-29-13.9600N
Longitude:
077-32-11.6400W077-31-39.6100W
Runway True Alignment:
Glide Path Angle:
0.0 degrees0.0 degrees
Traffic Pattern:
LeftLeft
Runway Markings Type:
Nonstandard (other than numbers only)Nonstandard (other than numbers only)
Object at End:
PLINEPLINE
Object Height:
Object Marked/Lighted?:
Marked
Distance from End:
Object Centerline Offset:
0 ft. left and right of centerline0 ft. left and right of centerline
Threshold Elevation:
Displaced Threshold:
Threshold Latitude:
34-29-31.1410N34-29-17.8930N
Threshold Longitude:
077-32-02.9080W077-31-44.9870W

It is absolutely required that you know the airport and runway you are going to land on.
You are absolutely correct, and with enough knowledge, a smart pilot would avoid that airport when ever possible. Even so, what if someone needs to land at that airport for an engine out situation? Either after takeoff, or by circumstance? Unmarked power lines adjacant to the runway are a distinct hazard.

Unfortunately, when flying VFR, you must be able to see the obstacles to avoid them. Any way you slice it, precision approaches are not part of the VFR pilot's skillset or technical abilities. Powerlines and runways are incompatible.

Last edited:
A little lower approach and he could have been decapitated. There is a small private aviation landing strip near me and the power line drops underground on the approach to the runway and the power lines on either side of the approach have the orange balls.

The FAA says that to stay above the power lines, aim to touch down 981 feet from the start of the runway, the "displaced threshold" number.

That is a 137 kV line not the little power lines found in neighborhoods. It's very expensive to put that voltage underground-- it's only done in major city downtown areas.

Power company should be paying for that. How is that allowed? I know that no ham radio guy would ever be allowed to have an antenna there. And if there was such an antenna with in a half mile or so from the airport even if it wasn't high enough to be hit, it would be required to have a light at night and other marking for day time. Its not pilot error.

Those wires should be as close to the ground as possible at the end of the runway.

The FAA says that to stay above the power lines, aim to touch down 981 feet from the start of the runway, the "displaced threshold" number.

That is a 137 kV line not the little power lines found in neighborhoods. It's very expensive to put that voltage underground-- it's only done in major city downtown areas.
That's fine and good, but flying VFR means non precision approaches. Touching down 1000 feet down the runway won't prevent someone on a shallow approach from hitting the unseen wires. Or as I mentioned, someone with an engine out situation, or a glider approach (much more shallow) or a helicopter, etc. That situation is not to be tolerated.

That's fine and good, but flying VFR means non precision approaches.
Right and that means visual approaches. The pilot is responsible to know what is there and see what is there.

Touching down 1000 feet down the runway won't prevent someone on a shallow approach from hitting the unseen wires.
Dragging the approach in is just poor piloting and undisciplined technique.

Its not pilot error.
Sorry, this accident was 100% pilot error.

Last edited:
Crazy place for an airport ( private strip ) but even more crazy to have a power line that close.

Pilots need to read about airports they are flying into but those power lines should also have markers on them.

If you fly somewhere and know there are power lines on final but cannot see them when you arrive, do not land.

Flying to a special airport in the mountains tomorrow and I am reading up on all the cautions right now while having my coffee ( and taking a break reading BITOG ).

Last edited:
Wow that guy is lucky.

So I have my PPL checkride this month. One of the local outlying airports has a similar setup to this. However, the trees are cleared out below the approach path and the power lines are loaded with the orange balls. So they are very easy to see and avoid. Still, if you come in below the glide path even just a little you are at risk of smacking the power lines.

Right and that means visual approaches. The pilot is responsible to know what is there and see what is there.

Dragging the approach in is just poor piloting and undisciplined technique.

Sorry, this accident was 100% pilot error.
Can't be pilot error, didn't Cujet say "unseen wires".

....... Landing on the tail really absorbed some energy.
I think that is what saved them. That tail made for an excellent, "crumple zone". And most of the impact was absorbed by the seat backs, keeping backs, spines, and necks somewhat straight.

A full frontal impact would have sent heads flying forward into instrument panels and seat backs. Also, the fact it was a slow flying single, and not a high performance twin greatly improved their chances.

But I must agree with Wayne. This is 100% pilot error. Know where you are flying into, as well as what's around the vicinity. Powerlines snag too many airplanes that shouldn't.

Back