Amsoil XL 5w20?

Very little of which shows how "good the oil did", but rather that the engine is operating properly. You can't compare the quality of an oil via a $30 spectrographic analysis.
Yes, as the other poster that is riding your coattails mentioned, you have said this numerous times. Of all of the people on this site, I fully expected you to be the one to come in to make that point known once again

Yes, as the other poster that is riding your coattails mentioned, you have said this numerous times. Of all of the people on this site, I fully expected you to be the one to come in to make that point known once again
I don't ride on anyone's coattails. I don't post very often. Kind of smart Alecy of you. Where did you come up with this?

Very little of which shows how "good the oil did", but rather that the engine is operating properly. You can't compare the quality of an oil via a $30 spectrographic analysis.
The oil retained its viscosity, flashpoint, and a decent TBN after 8K+ miles, telling the story of a healthy engine, good vehicle operation, and very little about the oil itself.

For sure.

BUT every time some other oil has a fine looking UOA, this needs to posted when all the accolades roll out OR when an Amsoil UOA doesn't meet someone's standard of greatness - this should be posted.

And yet you persist in posting UOA as if it does. We work together then.

And yet you persist in posting UOA as if it does. We work together then.
Um, I thought that was my first amendment right to have freedom of speech. Or does that not apply here?

Then why is there even a section in here to post UOA’s? Why not just have it labeled UEA (used engine analysis?) Don’t list the oil brand used, since it isn’t really about the oil brand used we do oil analysis to see how the motor is holding up yes?

- So when I do my next Uo/eA I wont abide by the forum rules and I won’t list the oil brand used. I will post it and when people ask which oil was used say “nope, not important which oil brand was used because you can’t “infer actual wear” and “You can't compare the quality of an oil via a $30 spectrographic analysis”. I’m just wanting to see how my motor is wearing and making sure I don’t have coolant leaking into my oil or high levels of dirt in my oil. It shouldn’t matter what brand of oil was used because then if it’s Amsoil or Royal Purple or God forbid the forum’s latest darling HPL people are going to bash it or you can run it longer or you can use a cheaper oil and get the same results or praise it because of the brand used. OR their is going to be so many people that “just aren’t going to get the message” that the $30 oil spectroanalysis” can’t be used to compare oil brands so why post the brand used? You have good wear, low contamination and strong TBN retention, so whichever brand oil you are using it appears to be a good match for your motor and driving style and conditions. But you do know that you can use the cheapest oil with the right certifications and get the same results right?

Only maybe 2% of the people on here are going to get the message that you can’t compare oils on a $30 analysis.

I knew when I said “UOA on wife’s 2015 Altima running Amsoil XL 0W20 came back superb” I was going to get some flack and especially when Rod Knock asked me to post it. I mean I honestly knew better. My join date says 2020 but I’ve actually been a member since around 2003, 2004 ( my other account was banned by BillinUtah) so yeah, shame on me for posting saying “came back superb” because I knew you, YOU, were going to swoop in and rain down like you always do.

@02zx9r rev2 I like your idea of not knowing the brand of the oil in a UOA. Just the grade, the vehicle, and the miles would make for some interesting discussion, and would eliminate any bias based on like or hate of a brand. Then after lets say a month of replies disclose the brand and lock the thread for further comments. ;)

@02zx9r rev2 I like your idea of not knowing the brand of the oil in a UOA. Just the grade, the vehicle, and the miles would make for some interesting discussion, and would eliminate any bias based on like or hate of a brand. Then after lets say a month of replies disclose the brand and lock the thread for further comments. ;)
I agree. Why even list what brand of oil used? If I have a stellar report come back on brand x in 5w30 and someone else runs the same oil/same grade and there report is subpar, is it the oils fault?

I’ve got a U?A I’m going to do here soon. That’s exactly what I’m going to do. Not list the brand of oil used, although it will be 0W40 so that one might not be the best one.

I’ve got three different brands of 5W30 in my stash, next one after this will be the “unknown” brand U_A

Last edited:
I actually love that idea

Um, I thought that was my first amendment right to have freedom of speech. Or does that not apply here?

Then why is there even a section in here to post UOA’s? Why not just have it labeled UEA (used engine analysis?) Don’t list the oil brand used, since it isn’t really about the oil brand used we do oil analysis to see how the motor is holding up yes?

- So when I do my next Uo/eA I wont abide by the forum rules and I won’t list the oil brand used. I will post it and when people ask which oil was used say “nope, not important which oil brand was used because you can’t “infer actual wear” and “You can't compare the quality of an oil via a $30 spectrographic analysis”. I’m just wanting to see how my motor is wearing and making sure I don’t have coolant leaking into my oil or high levels of dirt in my oil. It shouldn’t matter what brand of oil was used because then if it’s Amsoil or Royal Purple or God forbid the forum’s latest darling HPL people are going to bash it or you can run it longer or you can use a cheaper oil and get the same results or praise it because of the brand used. OR their is going to be so many people that “just aren’t going to get the message” that the $30 oil spectroanalysis” can’t be used to compare oil brands so why post the brand used? You have good wear, low contamination and strong TBN retention, so whichever brand oil you are using it appears to be a good match for your motor and driving style and conditions. But you do know that you can use the cheapest oil with the right certifications and get the same results right?

Only maybe 2% of the people on here are going to get the message that you can’t compare oils on a $30 analysis.

I knew when I said “UOA on wife’s 2015 Altima running Amsoil XL 0W20 came back superb” I was going to get some flack and especially when Rod Knock asked me to post it. I mean I honestly knew better. My join date says 2020 but I’ve actually been a member since around 2003, 2004 ( my other account was banned by BillinUtah) so yeah, shame on me for posting saying “came back superb” because I knew you, YOU, were going to swoop in and rain down like you always do.
All of that which is technical in nature is what Blackstone themselves state, that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results between any oil they have tested. It makes sense because the tool is inadequate to do that job and is influenced by multiple uncontrolled variables during everyday driving.

No matter how people on here try to jam this round peg into the square hole of relevance it just doesn’t fit. I know it feels good to think that all you have to do to compare oil performance is just send it out for a cheap analysis but that’s not reality. Think of all the money blenders and formulators could save by not running the suite of wear tests in J300 or a manufacturer approval.

Last edited:
All of that which is technical in nature is what Blackstone themselves state, that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results between any oil they have tested. It makes sense because the tool is inadequate to do that job and is influenced by multiple uncontrolled variables during everyday driving.

No matter how people on here try to jam this round peg into the square hole of relevance it just doesn’t fit.
And that is your soul purpose on here? To find the relevance? To keep putting people in their place with all the fancy jargon and letting them know how much better you are with your polite subtle jabs at how ignorant we are and keep repeating over and over and over and over and over and over and over ….etc that you can’t compare oils on a $30 analysis?

You said I persist in posting UOA as if it does, yet you persist in constantly repeating that you can’t. Where is the relevance?

Back