Amsoil Synthetic ATF mixed with Honda ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I have a 94 Accord with 176K on it. She sometimes has problems shifting out of 2nd and into 3rd gear. Just wondering if the Amsoil ATF is going to help this some what. Of course, I can't get all the ATF out of the tranny but I'm going to drain as much out as possible. Then, top it off with the Amsoil. So, there would be a mix of Honda and Amsoil ATF in the tranny. I would just like the car to run until 200K and then, get a new car. Good or bad idea?

P.S. I know the tranny might be going too and the Amsoil isn't going to work.

Thanks for all the future input.

Before you put the Amsoil in there, try doing a couple of drain-and-fills (drive around the neighborhood between each one) with Valvoline Maxlife Dexron III/Mercon (it's Honda Z-1 rated) to see if it helps anything out. If it does, then use Auto-RX to clean up anything in the transmission and then do another three drain-and-fills (again, drive between them) with the Valvoline Maxlife fluid.

Since you are only wanting to get another 24,000 miles out of it, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on Amsoil ATF if the above helps out your problem. If you were wanting to get another 200,000 miles, then sure I'd recommend Amsoil ATF.

I had the Acura dealer completely change over my '04 TL to
Amsoil ATF. Purrs like a kitten and shifts quite nicely.
Craig

If the transmission is shifting poorly due to sludge/varnish/gum deposits, the Amsoil ATF will help. I would make sure to drop the oil pan, thoroughly clean it and make sure you replace/clean the transmission filter or screen as appropriate. In extreme cases of neglected transmission service, I'd run the synthetic ATF for a few thousand miles, then drop the pan and repeat this procedure.

The main issue with putting highly detergent, synthetic ATF in a high mileage auto transmission is clogging of the filter screen due to loosened deposits. When this happens, the clutches are starved for oil and overhead. This is why you see folks claiming that synthetic ATF is "too slippery and made my transmission slip". If they did the changeover procedure correctly in the first place, they wouldn't have these issues.

If you can get another 24,000 miles out of this tranmission without rebuilding it, the $100.00 you'll spend for ten quarts of Amsoil 100% synthetic ATF is chump change....

TD

I didn't think that ATF was 'highly detergent'. The reason people used to use ATF as a flush in their engine was b/c it did contain more detergents than oil back in the 50's, but motor oil contains much more detergent than ATF now.
Further, it was my thoughts that after a tranny had been abused (no fluid changes) and then the fluid is changed, the filter cloggs and folks kept on going which resulted in tranny damage. If it only has a screen, can it clog except with very large material unlike a filter?

Withe 176K on the car I would do a few drain and fills with the cheapest Z-1 approved fluid I could. If the tranny's going out, or has an electrical/control problem, no fancy fluid is going to fix it. If the fresh fluid helps things roll with it and consider yourself lucky.

This car is '94? Does that require Z-1 or Dex III? If its Dex III go buy a few quarts of Supertech fluid start some drain and fills. Two or three and you'll know if the fresh fluid is helping your shifting problem or not.

Get some dirty hands, pour motor oil on one and wipe. Pour ATF on the other and wipe. Let us know which one is cleaner.

I had my Honda's transmission flushed at the dealers. I replaced the Z1 fluid with Amsoil ATF, shifts like new, very smooth. 206,000 miles on original tranny. I have used the Amsoil now for over 80,000 miles....go for it!

use Valvoline Maxlife DextronIIIh/Mercon ATF....do a complete gentle flush /change...don't take to a shop that does a pressure forced reverse power flush, forces all the dirt, particles and crud back into the tranny valve body and TC....
put at least 10 qts thru the tranny
half the price of the Amsoil and will get you to 200k if there is not a mechanical or electrical component failure in the tranny

add a half bottle of Lubeguard "Red"

Go to Dollar General if you have one and buy the STP Brand DexIII for $1.19/qt and flush it for $15.....
wink.gif

Just one note, Dex 3 might not work for hondas from that era (it seems to be a hit or miss thing for honda). I have a 92 civic that has harsh shifting using Dex 3. Adding some HFM (to bring the fluid up to Z1 spec) seems to alleviate the problem.

If you are already using Z1 and seeing this problem, you should probably follow the recommendations above and drop the pan, clean it out a little, and do a couple of drain and fills. Maybe run ARX if you see problems with the pan drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back