Oil : Amsoil SS0 0w30
Oil Filter: Amsoil EA012
Time on filter: 1 year
Time on oil: 6 months
Air Filter: OEM Nissan
Time on air filter: 1 year
Make-up oil added: 1 qt of Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Driving Style: 30% city, 70% highway

Valve covers were replaced during OCI. Also this OCI included a trip from San Jose, CA to the Grand Canyon, to Las Vegas, and then back to San Jose.

Normally, this engine uses about 1qt of oil every 7500 miles, however, on the way to the grand canyon I used up about and additional .5 qts of oil going 90mph uphill in the desert in 100 degree temps... could also be what pushed the valve covers over the edge (had oil leaking into the spark plug tube seals.. could also explain the oil loss).

Aluminum 2
Chromium: 1
Iron: 12
Copper: 7
Lead: 2
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 8
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 3
Boron: 12
Silicon: 10
Sodium: 7
Calcium: 4004
Magnesium: 14
Phosphorus: 818
Zinc: 1002
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 61
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 10.66
Flashpoint in F 405
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3

Looks very good. I'm not familiar with these engines though and how they wear, but the UOA is perfect. Tbn?

Originally Posted By: buster
Looks very good. I'm not familiar with these engines though and how they wear, but the UOA is perfect. Tbn?

didn't get the TBN done.. I'm sure it's fine though given that this is Amsoil's oil with the highest TBN and I only ran it for 6 months.

Your engine appears to be wearing well. Did you have similar oil consumption on dino?

Your report of having to replace both the valve covers at 60K for O-ring leaks in the spark plug tubes is depressing. I had to replace a cover on my 2003 G35 at 60K too. I was hoping it was a fluke, but it sounds like replacement of valve covers might be a recurring theme. Bummer!

Lesson learned??? If you have a VQ35DE engine, make sure to change the plugs before your warranty expires! Maybe Nissan will fix the problem if enough covers are replaced on their dime.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Your engine appears to be wearing well. Did you have similar oil consumption on dino?

Your report of having to replace both the valve covers at 60K for O-ring leaks in the spark plug tubes is depressing. I had to replace a cover on my 2003 G35 at 60K too. I was hoping it was a fluke, but it sounds like replacement of valve covers might be a recurring theme. Bummer!

Lesson learned??? If you have a VQ35DE engine, make sure to change the plugs before your warranty expires! Maybe Nissan will fix the problem if enough covers are replaced on their dime.

I wouldn't know what the consumption is like on dino oil; I switched over to the Amsoil at 100 miles on the odometer, after some hilly driving in San Francisco to load the rings some.

The valve cover issue is indeed a recurring theme. I actually started a thread over at g35driver.com, which has been stickied, encouraging everyone to check their tube seals. Little to my surprise, many individuals have discovered leaking tube seals. The thread contains a short video clip of the problem, scanned documents of the repair, and other miscellaneous info.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232036

The G35 driver sticky on this should help some folks catch it under warranty. My tube was leaking on the passenger side, closest to the firewall. Unfortunately, the replacement valve cover came out of pocket since I have an 03 sedan from April of 02. My extended warranty doesn't cover seals and gaskets, so I was SOL.

You can safely increase this oci by at least 50 percent. I've seen nothing but stellar results with SSO - its a consistent 12k to 15k oil - even in HiPo apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back