Amsoil SSO 0w-30 -- Pontiac Solstice GXP -- 10,284

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received the results from Wear Check today on my SSO run. In case you're wondering, I ran the oil until my Oil Life Monitor (OLM) on the car was hitting 0% left.

WearCheckPont077-05-10UOA1of2-1.jpg

WearCheckPont077-05-10UOA2of2.jpg

Next time I'll have to get a VOA of the SSO done so I can get some comparison perspective.

I think this is a pretty good UOA for a turbo car running an increased (albeit GMPP) tune setting(s).

Last edited:
I think it looks good but I can barely read it. Fe is a tad high maybe. Tbn & Viscosity are solid.

Originally Posted By: buster
I think it looks good but I can barely read it. Fe is a tad high maybe. Tbn & Viscosity are solid.

Photobucket is being a pain in my backside.
The pictures were HUGE when I saved them, but 1/4 the size after they got uploaded...

Sample Date 7/5/2010
Unit Age 17037m
Comp Age 17037m
Time on Oil 10284m
Time on Fltr 4322m
Oil Maint. Changed
Fltr Maint. Changed

DiagName--Abnormal | Severe--MEASURED #

Fe --150 | 400-- 39
Cr --20 | 40-- 3.9
Ni --5 | 10-- 0.3
Ti --- | --- 0
Ag --2 | 5-- 0.1
Al --40 | 90-- 9
Pb --50 | 150-- 2.4
Cu --155 | 250-- 3.6
Sn --10 | 25-- 1.5
Si --30 | 75-- 0
Na 62
K 13
B 5
Ba 0
Mo 2.9
Mg 13
Ca 2671
P 600
Zn 553
S 1995
Cd 0
Mn 8.8
V 0
Sb 0
Soot(%) 0.1
Oxid(PA) 64
Nitr(PA) 20
Sulf(PA) 40
ZDDP 21
TBN 6.71
Kv@100°C 9.63
White Metal NONE
Babbitt NONE
Precipitate NONE
Silt NONE
Debris NONE
Dirt NONE
Appearance NORML
Odor NORML
H2O(Emul) NEG
H2O(Free) NEG

Yes. The filters on these cars are (as you may probably know) small cartridges. So I changed the oil filter at a little over 12k and then the second one lasted through the end of the OCI.

With the smaller/lesser filtration material (and < $10 a pop), I don't mind changing them out more often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Isnt this engine also direct injection?

Yes, it sure is.

Originally Posted By: mewisemagic
hey, are you a member on the solstice forum?

I sure am!
What about you?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
How much top-off oil did you add? TBN is very good for a 10k run on a turbo, was it 'helped'?

Absolutely and unequivocally not.
I don't add oil unless I am seriously low. Every time I have checked the dipstick, with the recommended amount of oil put in, I have been over the "full" mark. Go figure.

I also have an S10 with 185k on the clock and I have never added oil to it during any oil change.

Last edited:
Also, keep in mind:

While I drive my car pretty conservatively, in conjunction with the tune, the car still does see 25+ lbs of boost now and again.
I'd say with the heat this oil has seen in the turbocharger, it didn't shear much and held its own very nicely.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
Yes. The filters on these cars are (as you may probably know) small cartridges. So I changed the oil filter at a little over 12k and then the second one lasted through the end of the OCI.

With the smaller/lesser filtration material (and < $10 a pop), I don't mind changing them out more often.

That will help you with your longer OCIs.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: BeanCounter

That will help you with your longer OCIs.

Yeah. If my car used canister filters I'd run an EaO oil filter in a heart beat, like I do on my truck, but alas...no product there.

I'd be somewhat hesitant to run a typical oil filter the full OCI, so I don't car to leave a smaller filter with less material in much beyond a "normal oil change" length.

I've also put thought to a by-pass system with the turbo setup, but we'll have to see.

Not only was I impressed with the TBN, but these as well:

Ca 2671
P 600
Zn 553
S 1995

I'm thinking that as the TBN curve might "plateau" as it moves towards depletion, with the additives still stout, I could have been looking at 20k+. That is 2.5k+ more than the "severe service" recommendation the turbo insists on the OCI, via Amsoil.

I'm not sure I could have gotten much better of a result from a DI turbo motor like this. Granted I do take it fairly easy on the car, I let it bask in the boost glory every so often.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back