Amsoil SSO 0-30w, 9k miles, 08 GMC Arcadia w3.6 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:
Recently, when I changed the air filter element, I noticed that whoever the wife had check/change the element last, didn't re-tighten several of the screws that clamp its airbox together, so it was leaking, which probably led to the moderate Silicon level.

After talking w/both the TopDog and Trasko filter people, it was discovered that I was gonna have some difficulty installing either of their filter/adapter(s). They both need 3.5" of clearance at the full flow filter adapter. The stock filter is 3" in dia and there is a lip cast into the stock aluminum filter adapter, just under the stock filter; that is in the way. I plan to remove the adapter from the engine, cut off the lip, and reinstall w/the 3.5" TopDog bypass adapter. I've bought a new gasket that goes between the engine block and the oil filter adapter.

The reasons I didn't go with the Trasko filter are: 1) it is heavier than a regular filter and might over-stress the stock adapter; 2) I couldn't find any UOAs that prove its ability to extend OCI.

There isn't enough room under the hood to install an Amsoil dual remote bypass system, and they cost a lot more $$$. I'm not certain what diameter their full flow filter adapter(BP-402) is.

Different System Cost:
Amsoil: 1) BMK-23=$209; 2) BK-299=$45; EaBP90=$30; EaO15=$15; Total= $300+tax&shipping.

TopGun V: Complete $196 delivered to my door, plus cost of a full flow filter($6).

Trasko: 1) TM22-10S=$73; 2) RK-10S times 3=$30; 3) shipping=$15; Total=$118

Wish me luck

Thoughts?

Don

Last edited:
Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
If your qualified enough to do what you want to do....why not just tee into an oil pressure fitting and return to a oil filter cap or cap tube. With the filter head and filter and assorted fittings etc I am sure you can do the job for about 75 bucks. Amsoil has a bypass filter head for the Eao 90 that is about 12 bucks.This thread has some info for you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=59902&Number=756515#Post756515

Good idea. It would definitely be less expensive, my est is $100. The filter head cost $26, + a $30 EaO90 filter, + lines & fittings, + shipping & tax. I've considered that type of bypass filter setup, but I prefer the TopDog, Amsoil, or Trasko type systems that feed the bypass filtered oil directly back into the main pressurized oil stream, where it is used imediately to lubricate. The "pressure sender tee" type that you mentioned takes oil away from the main pressurized oil stream and returns it to the sump. I don't like taking oil away from the main oil galley if I can help it.

On my diesel(8.3L & 10.8L) powered motor homes, I'll have to use the "pressure sender tee" type bypass filter setup because nobody makes a large adapter for these engines.

Thanks

Don

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back