Amsoil SSO 0-30w, 9k miles, 08 GMC Arcadia w3.6 L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this forum, synthetic engine oil, UOA, and extended OCI. My whole life I've use Dinosaur oil at 3k mile OCI. I a DIYer whenever possible. I'm a retired pilot so I've known of UOA for aircraft, but didn't realize it was so inexpensive. I own 2 SUVs, a piston powered airplane, 2 diesel pusher motor homes, and a 2 stroke outboard. I am trying to decrease the time I spend doing routine oil/filter changes. So far, I've only switched our 2 SUV over to Amsoil SSO 0-30w and I'm trying to determine the correct xOCI for ea.

Here is the info on our 08 GMC 2wd Arcadia w/3.6L. We bought it used in late 09 w/36k miles. We live in the country so it doesn't see much stop n go driving, its mostly easy hwy miles. It is my wifes car and she was in charge of keeping the oil, oil filter, & air filter changed in a timely manner. She relied on the cars onboard electronic system to tell her when it was time. In 4/10, I decided to take charge of this mx for her. I decided to switch to Amsoil SSO 0-30w, a Fram oil filter, since Amsoil has a tech bulletin stating not to use their EaO47 oil filter.

In 4/10, w/42k miles on the vehicle, I drained, and installed 5 qts of SSO and a Fram TG10060 stock replacement oil filter. 8 mths and 9k miles later, I decided to do a UOA. I pulled a sample an sent it to Oil Analyzers Inc. Here are the results:

WEAR METALS-PPM
Iron 20
Chromium 0
Copper 7
Tin 0
Lead 0
Chrom 0
Nickel 0
Alum 5
Tin 0
Silver 0
Cadmium 0
Vanadium 0
CONTAMINANT METALS-PPM
Silicon 42
Sodium 15
Potassium 4
MULTI SOURCE METALS
Magne 0
Titan 0
Molybdenum 10
Antim 0
Mang 3
Lith 0
Boron 9
ADDITIVE METALS-PPM
Magnes 12
Calcium 3115
Barium 0
Phosph 542
Zinc 627

V100C 10.1
I-R Oxidation 44
I-R Nitra 35
TBN 10.1
Fuel Soot Vol Water
LAB COMMENTS: Silicon/dirt are at a Moderate level; Oil is suitable for continued use.

After the UOA was taken I installed a new stock size Mobil1 oil filter(M1-113), 1/2 qt of makeup oil because I spilled some when I pulled the sample, and a new STP air filter element. I'm not a fan of STP or Fram filters. Does anybody know of a Top Notch air filter element to fit this application?

Recently I've decided to install TopDogV oil filter bypass systems on both our SUVs. I've already installed one on my 07 Toyota FJ Cruiser. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2135773#Post2135773

I don't like the Arcadia stock full flow oil filters small size(3"Wx3.5"H). After much research, I found that the following larger(3.7"Wx4.2"H) oil filters will fit: a) Wix 51372; b) Baldwin B7449; c) Fram PH2; d) Motorcraft FL820. I'm leaning towards either the Wix or Baldwin since they both have the correct anti-drainback valve(the oil filter is mounted horizontally), 16-20 psi bypass valve, micro rating, etc.

When I install the bypass system, I'll install a new full flow filter. I will NOT change the oil. I will leave in the Amsoil SSO 0-30w. I'll need to put in at least 1.0 to 1.5 qts of makeup oil because the Amsoil EaBP90 holds 1 qt, and I'll loose about .25 to .50 of a qt when changing out the old full flow filter for the new larger unit.

I plan to do another UOA in apprx 6 mths when the oil has 16k miles on it. It will be interesting to see if the bypass system has cleaned the oil up, and how its holding up.

What are your thoughts?

Don

For a DI 3.6 and 9k miles, results are AMAZING - those engines usually murder oil in no time.

The Si is 'off the chart', and would worry me, except that it does not appear to be doing any damage whatsover......

TBN =10.1 after 9k miles. WOW! With the right air filter and a bypass filter it will be very interesting to see how long you will be able to run. Looks like you will most likely touch the 20K mile mark.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For a DI 3.6

FWIW the 08 MY does not come with the DI engine....this started in MY 09.

(As well for the record it is an ACADIA)

Last edited:
Interesting since my wife has an 09 Acadia, only mine does have DI. The silicon is puzzling. I would like to see another UOA after the new air filter. Actually I think the STP or Fram air filter is fine. I'm using the OE Delco oil filter on mine. I'm using a drop in K&N air filter (I know everyone hates them). I thought it might bring in a little more air, lean out the air/fuel and improve mileage a little. It didn't.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
.. I thought it might bring in a little more air, lean out the air/fuel and improve mileage a little. It didn't.
wont happen on fuel injection with MAF - ECU will keep cruise mixture near stoic (perfect) - only effect of dirty filter will be a throttled down engine which will HELP gas mileage. I put a nice clean filter in my wifes 09 Subaru(after 40K miles!) the weekly ave mileage went down 1.5 MPG! WOT power went WAY up though
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
For a DI 3.6 and 9k miles, results are AMAZING - those engines usually murder oil in no time.

The Si is 'off the chart', and would worry me, except that it does not appear to be doing any damage whatsover......
That is about 3 grams of Si and Fe floating around in there together. And that's at least a couple teaspoons full. If someone dumped a couple teaspoons full of iron powder and ground beach sand into your motor would you perform an OC, declare "all is well" and just keep on truckin?

Last edited:
Probably just a leak on the intake or a bad seal at the filter. The Fram is actually a great air filter.

I have run the old Series 2000 0w-30 Amsoil for up to 3 years in my fleet trucks with a bypass setup. Just drop the filters, add makeup oil and drive! It will run forever.

Don't forget the trans, though.

I have seen a bulletin- it says to make sure that the air filter cover does not pinch the washer bottle hose (or a hose that runs by the air filter cover.
I would look into that.

I also had a higher silicon count in one of my UOA. I went to investigate and when I put my hand/weight on the air filter box while leaning to look at the air hose- the filter box popped.
It wasnt seated right- allowing some unfiltered air in.
So double check to make sure its seated.

Which UOA firm did the analysis?

You might just want to think about Amsoil 30W diesel/gas oil and buy it in a 30 or 55 gal drum. This oil works like a 10w30 and will work great in all your engines, but the 2 stroke...LOL! I bet the price per quart is very good at the drum level? If you want to stay with a Fram, use the extendaguard brand. It has a mesh type-covered fiber like media like the Eao.

Last edited:
The reason I asked who was the analyser is because I am concerned about the Oxid and Nitration numbers. I believe 50 is as high as you can ride them. At 10 on the viscosity this 30w is being whipped towards a 20wt. TBN is useless unless your viscosity and Nit and Oxid numbers are holding up. I say 12K and this oil will be used up and ready to replace.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Interesting since my wife has an 09 Acadia, only mine does have DI. The silicon is puzzling. I would like to see another UOA after the new air filter. Actually I think the STP or Fram air filter is fine. I'm using the OE Delco oil filter on mine. I'm using a drop in K&N air filter (I know everyone hates them). I thought it might bring in a little more air, lean out the air/fuel and improve mileage a little. It didn't.
Could have told you that cept you wouldn't have believed it.

Well this oil is working great for you.

You could pick a nice number like 10,000 miles and call it good.

**Yeah you could go 15,000 easy too I am sure but I like 10,000 myself as the most I like to run.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
The reason I asked who was the analyser is because I am concerned about the Oxid and Nitration numbers. I believe 50 is as high as you can ride them. At 10 on the viscosity this 30w is being whipped towards a 20wt. TBN is useless unless your viscosity and Nit and Oxid numbers are holding up. I say 12K and this oil will be used up and ready to replace.

What is the virgin oxidation #?

Originally Posted By: buster

Buster - I have said before and I'll say it again. You know your stuff. I think it's in the 30-40 range - on this OAI scale.

I find it funny/ironic/whatever that anyone would say "TBN is useless" in an Amsoil UOA after 9K. I'll bet if the TBN was say 3 or something, it wouldn't be so useless.

I would agree Si is a bit high. Native maybe 10-15. But is this a feature of this engine? I would check that out while looking for other issues, Na is a bit high, and K while not high, is interesting. Could be some ingestion issue, not a coolant intrusion issue. Worthy of a second UOA.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster

Buster - I have said before and I'll say it again. You know your stuff. I think it's in the 30-40 range - on this OAI scale.

I find it funny/ironic/whatever that anyone would say "TBN is useless" in an Amsoil UOA after 9K. I'll bet if the TBN was say 3 or something, it wouldn't be so useless.

I would agree Si is a bit high. Native maybe 10-15. But is this a feature of this engine? I would check that out while looking for other issues, Na is a bit high, and K while not high, is interesting. Could be some ingestion issue, not a coolant intrusion issue. Worthy of a second UOA.

Pablo, you just did what you hate people doing to you. Quoting only a partial statement! This is my correct quote "TBN is useless unless your viscosity and Nit and Oxid numbers are holding up." The concern is over viscosity, oxid, and nit....the 50 number comes from OAI..You know Amsoils other business?

Pablo, you just did what you hate people doing to you. Quoting only a partial statement! This is my correct quote "TBN is useless unless your viscosity and Nit and Oxid numbers are holding up." The concern is over viscosity, oxid, and nit....the 50 number comes from OAI..You know Amsoils other business?

Actually I did put your whole quote in my post. The oxidation, nitration and viscosity are OK, so the TBN is extra killer. Trust me, if the oxidation and nitration numbers are running away, TBN will be croaked rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back